Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How about Derval O'Rourke?

• 01-02-2006 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭

Check out tonight's (Tue) result, after equalling her NR at the weekend:

1 O´Rourke Derval 8,03
    2 Jones Lolo 8,09
    3 Kirkland Anjanette 8,11
    4 Claxton Sarah 8,13

Holy Smokes!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

She wasn't the only one...

Source PA
    Derval O'Rourke believes she is well on course to smash her Irish 60 metres hurdles record.

O'Rourke won the Indoor Classic in Vienna in a time of 8.03seconds in the Dusika Stadion.

"I honestly think after the way things have been going I can now smash my record," said O'Rourke.

"So far this year I've been concentrating on my technique rather than speed, so when I do that, I think it will come."

O'Rourke defeated a strong field including former world indoor champion Anjanette Kirkland, with fellow American Lolo Jones in third.

"I normally expect to see girls like that in front of me, so it was a good win," added O'Rourke, who has her sights set on chasing a medal at the World Indoor Championships.

"Before Moscow I will run in Bergen this weekend and then the British World Championships the following week.

"I'm trying not to get too excited but I think when I do get everything together, I can smash eight seconds."

Ciara Sheehy also claimed victory in the 200m in a time of 23.85secs - just 0.08s slower than her lifetime best.

Emily Maher equalled her recent personal best of 7.39s by finishing third in the 60m while Ailis McSweeney finished sixth in 7.56s.

Stephanie Durst of the USA claimed victory in 7.25s ahead of England's Anyika Onuora.

David McCarthy finished second behind England's Richard Buck in the 400m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Derval wins again, this time at the AAA's, and a new NR to boot, 7.98.

Ciary Sheehy took the 200m and Emily Maher took the 60m.

Nice running, ladies.

David Gillick and David McCarthy took silver at 200m and 400m, respectively.

Yet another big improvement for Derval. 6th on the World list for 2006; her time is worth perhaps 12.6 for the 100mH.

Super runs by Anna Boyle and Emily Maher, and nice to see Joanne Cuddihy winning.

Boyle and Maher were both inside the old 60m record, so maybe Michelle Carroll's 100m record might finally go this year. After all, it's only been 28 years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Yeah, 7.90 is a world class time. If she repeats that in Moscow she would make the final and could be pushing for a medal. Only 5 europeans have run faster in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

I was priveleged to be there watching, with a very good seat over the finish line. Apart from the record, she completely blew away the rest of the field which included Delereen Ennis London and Sarah Claxton. Also, its worth remembering she's brought her time down nearly .2 in the last couple of weeks. Who's to say there's not a lot more to come. Could we even dare to hope she may make the podium in Moscow?

• Advertisement

Another big win for Derval tonight in Lievin:

1 O´ROURKE Derval IRL 81 4 0.175 7.90 =NR
    2 31 ONYIA Josephine NGR 69 6 0.184 7.93
    3 33 ALOZIE Glory ESP 77 5 0.281 7.98
    4 32 TRYWIANSKA Aurelia POL 76 3 0.144 7.99
    5 29 KALLUR Jenny SWE 81 7 0.196 8.06 SB

Ciaran McDonagh also won in Chemnitz tonight, beating James Beckford, Ignisious Gaisah and Chris Tomlinson with 7.99m.

Well done, folks.

Ciara Sheehy won her 200m heat in Lievin in 23.3, but Arron won overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Both Michelle Perry and Lolo Jones aren't in Moscow. DO'R is going in 5th fastest, a medal is a real prospect. Is Susanna Kallur competing? Here are the top 5 on 2006 times:

Golding-Clarke 7.83
    Susanna Kallur 7.86
    Onyia 7.88
    Freeman 7.89
    O' Rourke 7.90

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Luck and the ability to progress through rounds plays a big part in championships such as these, but O'Rourke is at least a medal prospect providing the self same luck shines kindly on her and she handles the demands of the heats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

My coach once told me that:
    'Its not the athlete who performs the best in major championships that wins, but the athlete who screws up the least!'

Qualifying rounds, holding areas, officialdom, hotel to venue transfers, nerves, climate change etc etc etc....they all take their toll on ALL competitors at major championships...the key is to handle and overcome them!!!...

'..if you can keep your head when all around you are loosing theirs.....'

Lets hope DOR keeps her head!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OnwrdThruTheFog

I hadn't posted on this thread prior to Moscow but surely one of you guys wants to put your hand up and say 'I told you so'.

Excellent insight into Championship running from Domer. In this case DOR not only screwed up the least, but also performed the best.

Advertisement