Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this Attic be converted?

Options
  • 01-02-2006 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I've just moved into a new house and whilst its not an option/priority at the moment, I may consider using the loft space (to what degree depends on whats feasable) in the future. I remember reading on here that some types of roofes could be converted quite easily whilst others shouldnt be interfered with.

Just wondering what category this one (see pics below) falls into?

Pic1
    Pic2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

Thats pretty much what our attic looks like at the moment, hopefully it will be converted around may / june. Had a few guys out settled on one and he says ours is a typical modern roofed house. Get a quote and they will give you the in's and out's with whats involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Sam,

The roof is a modern truss that looks like it has a fairly high ridge (good), the important part for converting such roofs is to have your steel supports properly sized to take the weight of the roof.

A floating floor will most likely be needed as well, truss roofs are popular with developers because of the speed they can fitted at, sadly they still leave out most of the cross bracing.

I would recommend that you employ the services of an Architect / Engineer to specify the steel and sign off on the finished job because if it is not done correctly besides the obvious roof problems it could make selling your house harder in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Thanks Skibum/Pete. I should get a quote Skibum, to get a better idea on cost but at the same time it would be unfair of me to call someone out seeing as theres no realistic chance of me doing this within the next year and a half minimum (ie. no funds!).

Having said that, what sort of cash should I be looking to get together for this sort of project (roughly/off the top of yere heads)?
    I would recommend that you employ the services of an Architect / Engineer to specify the steel and sign off on the finished job because if it is not done correctly besides the obvious roof problems it could make selling your house harder in the future.
    Is it only an Architect or Engineer that can sign off on such things? This isnt something that a builder or roofer could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Sam,

I try to avoid the numbers, prices are or can be a touchy subject ;)

Regarding "Signing off" on the steel work,

I meant to both specify the details and submit a certificate of compliance for the work when completed, there are very few if any builders / roofers who hold the proper qualifications and more important liability insurance cover to issue a valid certificate.

In fact part of the rules of Professional Indemnity Insurance cover is the policy holder does not issue certificates for works carried out by themselves or for family members.

One is to avoid the possibility of "Conflict of Interest" and the second is to protect the policy holder from being tempted or persuaded to issue certificates that are not truly valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Spfeno1

Rooferpete,

is it possible to convert an attic of a timberframe house ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement