Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ins companies make no sence

Options
  • 01-02-2006 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right ive been looking to get a new car but today i went into fbd to find out how much it is to insure me as a driver of mine / and the other 2 types i was looking at

basicly the details

male
    offaly
    garaged car
    25 years old
    2 year ncd
    1 year full lisence
    4 years driving

my car is a 04 1.4 focus lx and is valued at around 15k cost of insurance 1300 fully comp

2.0 evo 1998 with a few mods to the car valued around 18k 1250 euros fully comp

or then there is a 2000/1 lexus 200 which would cost me the same as the evo

now the lexus and the evo are more powerfull cars . there worth more but they are not as new will cost me less to insure then a 2 year old car that is not close to as powerfull as the evo .

my question is how do they come up with the figures for deciding what to charge cause in my case they are not looking at how powerfull cars are or how much they are worth

i also rang britton insurance and they were pritty much the same but wanted me to have a 2k euro excess on all the cars

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Try Ford Insure.

Focus should be much much chepaer than that. You'll need to prove your ins. record and you may get a full "ex gratia" ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You may find that there is a greater record of crashes under a 1.4 Focus than a 2.0 Lexus thus on paper making the Lexus a more safer car.

It is sometimes not wise to have a 10 yr old car either as the insurance maybe the same as with a new car.

There are lots of variables in the calculation of risk.

And each risk factors has a rating.

But hey insurance companies dont make sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

kluivert wrote:
    You may find that there is a greater record of crashes under a 1.4 Focus than a 2.0 Lexus thus on paper making the Lexus a more safer car.

There are many more Focuses about, so that doesn't neceasarily follow.

It's all to do with insurance groups. No one car is any more likely crash than any other. The "not at fault" crashes must be discounted too. If 100 Focus drivers are tail ended that doesn't make them an unsafe car.

Cost of parts for repairs, and performance, usually figure highly in determining determine the ins. group.

I agree that ins. co's are not logical however. I'm looking at buying a new Focus ST, and the ins. premium is treble what it would be for the older Focus RS, notwithstanding they have similar performance, and the RS cost over €10k more new :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Never realised that.

So are Fords, in general, more costly to insure then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

quad_red wrote:
    Never realised that.

So are Fords, in general, more costly to insure then?

they do seem to be alright,

i can insure a 2.0 accord v-tec for the less than my own car
    my car 98' 2.0 ghia x mondeo.
    but i can also insure a mondeo st200 for a little more than the 2.0. which does not make any sense really:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thats madness. I'm paying 1800 fully comp on a 1.8 VVC ... 160BHP

I'm 19, full license, 1yr NCB ... I guess they see Rovers as a low risk group... Funny considering they keep up with Type R's

No they (Fords) are quite "reasonable".

www.parkers.co.uk will give you a rundown on every new and recent used cars insurance groups.

JohnCleary wrote:
    Thats madness. I'm paying 1800 fully comp on a 1.8 VVC ... 160BHP

I'm 19, full license, 1yr NCB ... I guess they see Rovers as a low risk group... Funny considering they keep up with Type R's

i only pay €500 fully comp + ncb protection,but im 32 with 6 years ncb.(+ full licence)
    4 years ago i went from a 1.8td mondeo to a 2.0 petrol mondeo & my insurance went from €960 to €1980:eek: .

i suppose it all depends on which ford you are trying to insure.
    we also have a 2000 1.25 fiesta which is only €450 fully comp for herself.

Ford Insure is underwritten of Hibernian.

My renewal came last years for say €600, which had gone up for no reason. I got a quote from Hibernian direct (same co.) for €480.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

p.s. I eventually renewed with Ford Insure for €480

mondeoman wrote:
    i only pay €500 fully comp + ncb protection,but im 32 with 6 years ncb.(+ full licence)
    4 years ago i went from a 1.8td mondeo to a 2.0 petrol mondeo & my insurance went from €960 to €1980:eek: .

i suppose it all depends on which ford you are trying to insure.
    we also have a 2000 1.25 fiesta which is only €450 fully comp for herself.

Yeah but you're old :p

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yeah but you're old :p

i know,but i can insure nearly any car i want for good price:p :p
    quinn direct wont insure anyone under 25 on a car over 1600cc:D

mondeoman wrote:
    i know,but i can insure nearly any car i want for good price:p :p
    quinn direct wont insure anyone under 25 on a car over 1600cc:D

Well thats a big ball of 'not true' ... Read my above post, 1.8 VVC 160BHP ...

Insured with Quinn Direct, 1800 full comp, 19, 1 years NCB, Full License, 190eur excess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

JohnCleary wrote:

Insured with Quinn Direct, 1800 full comp, 19, 1 years NCB, Full License, 190eur excess

Crikies john,thats some deal.Paying €2500 fully comp with hibernian for my '05 ZS 1800cc. 22 nearly 3 years ncb full licence for 4 years....Crikies screw the customer service if i'm saving nearly €1k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Just thinking john....Zr 160 or Rover Gti??

JohnCleary wrote:

that's what they told my G/F 's 2 brothers,so they both got 1.6 cars.
    i will let them know.;)

djeclips wrote:
    Just thinking john....Zr 160 or Rover Gti??

Rover 214 shell with a Rover Vi 1.8 VVC engine dropped in (Exact same engine as ZR 160 except with different ECU map)

Advertisement