Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathmines Rd Upper

Options
  • 01-02-2006 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Left the house this morning to find my girlfriends car (our car) wing mirror broken off. Yesterday morning she had a nail stuck in her tyre. I know that you're thinking its someone out to get us, but we've only had the car since Sunday as our car is being fixed so how would someone even know its ours??

We have never had any probelms with our other car and we're parking in the same place that we always do (ie. right outside the flat).

My gf said that she has seen other cars with wing mirrors attacked. I don't think that its the crowd from Rody Bolands (like to get pissed, but not knackers) havin a go on the way home.

Has this happened to anyone else in Rathmines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I live in Rathmines Park (just off Rathmines Rd. Upper) and have noticed damage to some cars on the western side of Rathmines Rd. Upper on some mornings. TBH I would put it down to the 'unsavoury' element that live around there, rather than the Rody Bolands crowd - I am sometimes part of that crowd and never, ever have seen any messing from people coming out of the pub late at night. A tip for you - park your car in Rathmines Park (normally a few spaces around in the early evening), never had any problems here, quiet little cul-de-sac and the Guards often walk through on their way from Rathmines station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I live in Grosvenor lodge off leinster road, last night I looked out my window and saw two young lads breakin into a car right in front of my eyes. I called the guards, but just as I hung up they got the car started a sped off, its unbelievable! Well I gave the cops as much info as I could, such thugs, i hope they catch the fu*kers. Was thinking of getting a car for myself, I thought the area was grand, but now im not so sure...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Its generally the lads who hang round belgrave sq and the park opposite the close who do most the damage and car robbing in the area, just remember to get a good look at them and you'll see them in the area again. Their not the brightest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

ionapaul wrote:
    I live in Rathmines Park (just off Rathmines Rd. Upper) and have noticed damage to some cars on the western side of Rathmines Rd. Upper on some mornings.

I live on the west side RRU alright. (Do you think its people from the eastside??!!) Obviously the same people. Thing is though, our car was the only one touched. Bastards. Might take a trip up to Belgrave Sq, show some of them lads what time it is!

Will prob park up in Rathmines park for the next while.

Thanks lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Oh, that was your car.

Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Record them with your webcam, then spring them and beat the **** out of them.

But would that feeling of satisfaction as you pummel their faces off the kerb not be enough to make you want to wait up?

Or have a baseball bat, hurl, big stick etc....
    Crack the first one over the head, then he's down.
    The second one, you go for his legs. He'll drop like a sack.

By now the other two are intimidated and will most likely run.

Then pummel the other two untill they get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Little imps...Rascalls !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

my uncle lives just off Dartry road, beside rahtmines upper and has had the same problems, smashed window, wind mirrors kicked off and car keyed, 3 weeks ago while he was sleeping his neighbour was coming home and saw 4 youths trying to break into his car, he ran into the house,phoned the garda the garda came within 3 minutes but by that time the youths were gone, they couldnt get the car going though for whatever reason and luckily he had nothing of value in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I work as a taxi driver and I never,ever, pick anyone up from Rathmines after midnight on the weekend. Why, because the young crowd who drink in the area are basically a shower of uppercrust yobs. Thats why your property is being damaged. If given a choice between two young Rathmines drinkers and a group of huddys hanging around a corner in Finglas, I would take the Finglas lads anyday.No offence intended to the law abiding public of Rathmines, it's the crowd, and most of them underage, who converge on the area that I avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I have to agree with dubtom. I live down near the rathmines lower end of things but you would walk up to the 24 hour centra and from thursday to sunday you will see gangs of muppets just causing hassle.

Didn't know that there was that much damage being caused around Rathmines. Are you reporting it to the guards everytime? If they thought it was happening regularly they might send more patrols around or something.

My mirror got smashed on a Tuesday night. Hardly a crowd from the pub:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Rathmines is one of the safer areas of Dublin city, in my experience, never been hassled once, I walk home late at night from town at least 4 times a month and never seen any trouble anywhere. My car has never been tampered with to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah, i left my car parked just on the edge of the road near palmarstown villas and its alarmed and all, and when i came out 4 lads were trying to break into the back of the car, damn fcukers made me go mad, and not to mention 2 people at the bus stop just looking at it all.

Its no wonder that Des Cullen Cars moved.

ionapaul wrote:
    Rathmines is one of the safer areas of Dublin city, in my experience, never been hassled once, I walk home late at night from town at least 4 times a month and never seen any trouble anywhere. My car has never been tampered with to my knowledge.

Thats what I had thought, but my attitude has changed a bit now. I even live in front of the council estate and there is never any trouble around.

Between my smashed mirror and that car that was crashed into the wall outside Herman Whites (and left there for a week:mad: ) and everything else that I'm hearing in here I'm not so sure about Rathmines at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I lived on RRU for about 5 years and never had any trouble at all. I grew up around the area and now live in ranelagh and while theres certainly 'a bad element' in the area, its no finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Linoge wrote:
    Left the house this morning to find my girlfriends car (our car) wing mirror broken off. Yesterday morning she had a nail stuck in her tyre. I know that you're thinking its someone out to get us, but we've only had the car since Sunday as our car is being fixed so how would someone even know its ours??

We have never had any probelms with our other car and we're parking in the same place that we always do (ie. right outside the flat).

My gf said that she has seen other cars with wing mirrors attacked. I don't think that its the crowd from Rody Bolands (like to get pissed, but not knackers) havin a go on the way home.

Has this happened to anyone else in Rathmines?

yep.
    my family home is on upper rathmines road and our car hasnt had wing mirrors for years
    its students from trinity hall i think.

little fúckers whoever they are, but yes, it happens on a regular basis. if you find any of them, kick the crap out of them for me.

oh, and my own car was also stolen from outside the house a long time ago.

and another one of my cars was broken into twice. but these were years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

its students from trinity hall i think.
    Trinity Hall has only been around for two years, in case you didn't know..

Anyways, I thought we upperclass, rich Trinners would be above such antics? Surely we're too busy playing croquet?

• Advertisement

Pet wrote:
    Trinity Hall has only been around for two years, in case you didn't know..

Anyways, I thought we upperclass, rich Trinners would be above such antics? Surely we're too busy playing croquet?

I am starting to think that it was students now tbh. Why would a knacker break a mirror? If they were going to damage something would they not break the window and at least check the glove box and boot?

And if they were on a night of carnage would they not have broken every mirror the whole way along the street?! My car was the only one touched.

I'm sorry to say, but this has "student" written all over it now.

BTW, WWM, Sparky, Elites, did you report anything to guards after each incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Its not the students we've caught some scumbags running along the sides of cars on mount pleasant ave hitting all the wing mirrors with flaggons one night. Some of them get blantly cheeky as well we caught one guy trying to cut the lock off my bike at six in the eve on belgrave square one night. needless to say he won't try it again. And about 3 months ago there was two petrol bombs thrown through a window on mount pleasant and more recently me anf a friend stopped a guy getting mugged on castlewood ave. its a nice area in general but it can be dodge at some times

trinity hall has been around for absolute years.

the new buildings have only been there for the last two.

i know this because my family house is about 100 yards from there.

however, i think it is students. whether it actually is or not, i have no idea, nor do i think that its the same 2 or 3 people that are responsible for every issue raised here.

i think students are responsible for the car mirrors. and to be honest, its only been happening for the last couple of years, maybe 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ionapaul wrote:
    Tell that to the two guys I saw being beaten with cudgels one Saturday night at 2am on the bridge.

Victor arrests ++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭b0bbie

Is anyone else still having this issue? Today I lost another wingmirror. Thats 8 in totla in the last 6 months, one smashed in passenger window, nothing taken and my boyfriend has lost more wing mirrors than me. Why is it always on rathmines road upper?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd be saying it's students aswell.

Living lower Rathmines Rd, and I've often seen them causing a bit of hassle. Moreso fighting than vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I also had my wing mirror kicked off around the Rathmines area...it's probably just one bunch of lads...they must have kicked off hundreds of wing mirrors by now. ffs:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

8 wing mirrors in 6 months

thats hardly the work of well-educated but drunk students from Trinity hall, would say it's the locals living on the right hand side of URR as you go up. or the left hand side.

or blow-ins. or.........

I was living in Grosvenor square years ago (about 9 years ago now) and I remember sitting staring out the window onto the bowling green when I saw a car cruising along slowly and the fecker in the passenger seat leaned out and ripped a wing mirror off a car he was passing and then sped off :eek:

I couldn't believe my eyes

maybe someone's making a load of cash out of this

btw, have lived in Rathmines for about half of the past 10 years and never felt threatened, have never seen a mugging etc and think it's one of the best areas in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭b0bbie

Does anyone know anything I can do to protect my wing mirrors. Some scumbags seem to take off wing mirrors nightly for the craic on my road. This week I duct taped the wingmirror on to the car. A tornado wouldn't have shifted it and again this morning it was off and placed on the bonnet of the car. Anybody got any suggestions? At this stage I'm tempted to tape a very small but rusty blade to it......grr.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

b0bbie wrote:
    Does anyone know anything I can do to protect my wing mirrors. Some scumbags seem to take off wing mirrors nightly for the craic on my road. This week I duct taped the wingmirror on to the car. A tornado wouldn't have shifted it and again this morning it was off and placed on the bonnet of the car. Anybody got any suggestions? At this stage I'm tempted to tape a very small but rusty blade to it......grr.....
    Do it, they deserve anything they get.

Advertisement