Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New BT Packages

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

wireless modems aren't available until the 4th and they've no idea what type they are either. Good Stuff BT :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is also a full functional spec for their top secret super duper new ultra reliable billing system , linked Here . Thank God they went for reliability over bells and whistles :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dubmick wrote:
    wireless modems aren't available until the 4th and they've no idea what type they are either. Good Stuff BT :confused:
    Yeah. I asked them this morning and they said they didn't have the info yet. I presume by paying the €40 for wireless you will own it.
    They'll probably stick with ZyXEL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

DaDumTish wrote:
    VAT included or NOT ????

doesnt mention it ??
    VAT included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

VAT included for the 1M/2M and 3M packages without a doubt as they are targeted at the home user.

1M BB for €35 a month...not bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 John_Carrick

How may I help you John?
    John: Hi, I Can get Talk Plus & Line Rental for €39 per month or Broadband option 2 with Line Rental for €40 per month. How much is Broadband option 2 Talk Plus Line rental per month?
    Francis S: its €54.82 for €30 broadband, with line rental and Talk Plus
    Francis S: per month
    John: including vat?
    Francis S: yup

kaizersoze wrote:
    VAT included.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

kaizersoze wrote:
    Yeah. I asked them this morning and they said they didn't have the info yet. I presume by paying the €40 for wireless you will own it.
    They'll probably stick with ZyXEL

ZyXEL 660 (or varient) so I've been told. Supposedly pretty good value too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Are 660's ADSL2+ capable???

I think I read somewhere they were.

zuma wrote:
    Are 660's ADSL2+ capable???

I think I read somewhere they were.
    Indeed they are.
    http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1079416368&indexcate1=1021877946&indexFlagvalue=1021873638
    halenger wrote:
    Supposedly pretty good value too.
    Provided you own them after paying €40 and they're not a total POS, €40 is excellent value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

i never used the modem i got off them.
    using a Linksys instead

do you have to give back the modem when you quit the service do you know?

-l-Z3k3-l- wrote:
    i never used the modem i got off them.
    using a Linksys instead

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

kaizersoze wrote:
    Yes

well then i guess i don't have a spare modem to give to someone in ennis

=]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

zuma wrote:
    VAT included for the 1M/2M and 3M packages without a doubt as they are targeted at the home user.

1M BB for €35 a month...not bad!

Not bad at all.....and thats including line rental. At this price, the broadband works out at about €11pm. This, along with a nice voip package would be a great set-up for most resi users. Things going in the right direction.

Just to add, Eircon's 1mb BB is going to be priced at €29.99. Adding in line rental, close to €55pm. Wobbery I say, pure wobbery !!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Are BT a bit shy about their best products? The front page is pushing €20pm broadband when they offer a much much better package. Even on the main broadband page, the package is almost invisible.

Do they not really want people to select their best offer? If so, then why bother offering it?

They really do run a rubbish website :(

BendiBus wrote:
    Are BT a bit shy about their best products? The front page is pushing €20pm broadband when they offer a much much better package. Even on the main broadband page, the package is almost invisible.

Do they not really want people to select their best offer? If so, then why bother offering it?

They really do run a rubbish website :(

Good point. Maybe they are trying to guide people to the higher price (more profitable) products. Can't see the €35(inc line rental) BB being particularly profitable for BT. Is it in the public domain how much Eircom charge BT for line rental ?
    Sponge Bob ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is not seeing as the line they rent from eircom and charge out to you is €21 a month including vat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 John_Carrick

One point to note - when you sign up for a package incl line rental you have to switch your voice traffic to BT. This may be a loss leader to get your voice traffic.
    Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Good point. Maybe they are trying to guide people to the higher price (more profitable) products. Can't see the €35(inc line rental) BB being particularly profitable for BT. Is it in the public domain how much Eircom charge BT for line rental ?
    Sponge Bob ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

-l-Z3k3-l- wrote:
    It actually depends. When I signed up for BB+ last March (2Mb at the time), the T&Cs state that after 1 year, the modem is yours to keep. If you only sign up for normal BB (1Mb back then) then the modem is only yours on loan and must be returned on cancellation of the service.

This was listed in the FAQ that used to be on the IOL website, but that seems to be gone now. An email to BT asking whether you own the modem or not might be the best option. As far as I'm concerned, I own the two modems that BT gave me as both were given under BB+ connections and it stated in the terms that it would be mine after 12 months. They never asked for the first one back anyway and I'm still using it. The 2nd one is still in it's box.

One point to note - when you sign up for a package incl line rental you have to switch your voice traffic to BT. This may be a loss leader to get your voice traffic.

Ahh... Did not realise that. I was thinking along the lines of 35euro for BB + rental, then 10euro calls pack from someone like Euphony. Do you have to sign up to a BT calls pack, or are you just charged on a per call basis ?
    Sponge_Bob wrote:
    It is not seeing as the line they rent from eircom and charge out to you is €21 a month including vat .

Thanks Sponge Bob.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Ahh... Did not realise that. I was thinking along the lines of 35euro for BB + rental, then 10euro calls pack from someone like Euphony. Do you have to sign up to a BT calls pack, or are you just charged on a per call basis ?

You are charged per second as is normal for most companies. However you can also sign up for BT's Talk package (unlimited local and national calls at anytime) or you can use Blueface VoIP.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

bk wrote:
    You are charged per second as is normal for most companies. However you can also sign up for BT's Talk package (unlimited local and national calls at anytime) or you can use Blueface VoIP.

Assuming you make 15 euro per month of phone calls to the UK/Ireland you're better off with Blueface (14.99 per month unlimited calls yadda yadda). You can of course save 17c a month if you're happy with free local and national calls - 14.82 to add BT Talk Plus to the combined broadband/line rental dealio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Well I'm jumping ship to BT, lol just rang then to report a typo on a page when I got talking to a rep and 5 Min's later I'm agreeing Line+BB for €50 deal.

:) Don't want to be part of the 80% still stuck on Eircon no more I suppose.

How may I help you John?
    John: Hi, I Can get Talk Plus & Line Rental for €39 per month or Broadband option 2 with Line Rental for €40 per month. How much is Broadband option 2 Talk Plus Line rental per month?
    Francis S: its €54.82 for €30 broadband, with line rental and Talk Plus
    Francis S: per month
    John: including vat?
    Francis S: yup

sorry ... dont get this ???

my borad band plus line rental is supposed to be 25 a month for first 3 months - i.e. 50 a month , it then moves to 40 a month eventually

but BT are adding vat on top in each bill , is this correct ?

DaDumTish wrote:
    sorry ... dont get this ???

my borad band plus line rental is supposed to be 25 a month for first 3 months - i.e. 50 a month , it then moves to 40 a month eventually

but BT are adding vat on top in each bill , is this correct ?
    The €25 and €40 charges both include vat. For billing purposes the vat is calculated and shown separately but is only added to the bill once.

looks like i have major billing problems with BT then ! jesus christ , can ANY company in this country do ANYTHING right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I have had Esat broadband for a few years now and only last month moved my phone to them to save on costs.
    After seeing the new set of packages and I rang to see about changing to the new lowest priced one. I'm not on contract but they won't lower me !

I have to disconnect and then reconnect and they made clear that they can disconnect me quickly but it make take weeks to reconnect me! Sounds to me like a scam.

Anyone else experience this?

Redman
    (also their 1904 is crap, this morning they just weren't taking calls at all. And last night I got cut off holding after 18mins as the time passed 7:30 without speaking to anyone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

halenger wrote:
    ZyXEL 660 (or varient) so I've been told. Supposedly pretty good value too.

They're fairly decent. It hasnt given me any trouble in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

dubmick wrote:

was onto them this morning. they reckon maybe early next month. i got the impression they have no idea whats happening.

still... better than eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Merli

I ordered the new Esat BT 40 Euro inc line rental package last Thursday.
    I'm a first time BB user with an existing Eircom phone service. I've also ordered the wireless option.
    Can anyone give me a rough estimate of when I should be up and running?
    Should I be thinking weeks or months?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement