Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's sandwich

• 01-02-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ok so, I'm trying to save money and lose weight. So I've decided to stop buying food for lunch in work.
    Gonna try cut out mayonaise, butter and cheese. Although I do have to have some moisture in my sandwich. One problem I have is I'm not big on uncooked tomato. That would be an easy choice. Another concern is flavour, if the food doesn't taste reasonably nice, I'm not going to eat it for any length of time.

So today I went for:

3 slices of brennans crunchy rye bread.
    2 slices of turkey breast
    1 tbsp of dijonaisse mustard
    a handful of watercress
    some gravy

One of the slices of rye was soaked in the gravy and cling-film wrapped separately from the rest of the sandwich. My one concern is how this slice will be when re-introduced to the middle of the sandwich. It will be cold - so may taste odd, but hopefully the mustard will cut through it somewhat.

What do you think? Sound tasty? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have to say I HATE sandwiches. I know that's a weird hate, and that there's a bunch of variety, but if I wanted to do a save money n loose weight spree that revolved around food at work I'd do it differently.

Porridge with fruit and honey for breakfast, soup with a toasted bagel for lunch.

I can't imagine sandwiches with no butter, mayo or tomato to 'wet them up'. I'd get tired of mustard quickly...

...oh, and you posted that at ten to twelve and it's now ten to five, so either it was such a brilliant taste explosion that you've run off to patent it and make millions, or it was so awful you choked. ...how was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

the tbsp of dijonaisse was a bit much, but the gravy slice (or the "moist-maker" according to Friends) was excellent. Same again with less or no dijonaisse would do the trick nicely.

Relish of course is another option. As for soup and a toasted bagel, its an option, but more hastle, heating soup and toasting bagels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Why stick to sandwich for lunch? Make some soup and take it in with you. Have it with a nice roll. Dip in the soup - plenty moist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yes I do admit that soup and bagels is more hassle than a sarnie. I just can't get over hating sandwiches. And I don't know why. :(

Mayonaise is fine if it's the really low fat stuff. I personally think that tastes better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mmm sandwiches, my newest creation is the nerd sandwich.
    Two slices of lovely brown bread, the good stuff.
    Two linda mccartney sundried vegetarian sausages chopped up, loads and loads of tesco sweetcorn heated to perfection(the nicest sweetcorn available) and heinz red sauce.
    Why is it called a nerd sandwich you wonder? because I put on the sauce in the shape of a theta of course.
    Right now I have to make another one...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Why is it called a nerd sandwich you wonder? because I put on the sauce in the shape of a theta of course.
    soudns like something i'd do :rolleyes:

lettuce makes a great sandwich filler and there's nothing in it! i hate the stuff but ill make myself eat it on hot chicken sandwiches

[nice sandwich] take one wrap (i know its not technically a sandwich but :P)
    throw on some lettuce
    some sweetcorn
    some grilled chicken (or oven baked w/ a pesto dressin or something)
    pour on some nice salad dressing
    attempt to roll and eat[/nice sandwich]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Gonna try cut out mayonaise, butter and cheese

To be honest, that is limiting yourself. Mayo/butter in moderation will do very little harm - and if you are worried, low fat spreads and mayo/mayo substitutes allow you to have that extra flavour to the sandwiches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

maybe try out some pesto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Well, pesto is mostly oil, although even a small amount will add flavour, not sure about moisture though.
    To BuffyBot - it is limiting, but if I can cut them out I will. They can add a surprising amount of calories to a sandwhich.
    Anyway - today I'm repeating the sandwhich minus the dijonaisse. Should be interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement