Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Quality Studio Monitors and Audio Interface

Options
  • 01-02-2006 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

I'm currently looking for a top quality pair of Studio Monitors for under 250. I would appreciate any recommendations. Explain why they're good.

I was thinking about these BEHRINGERS.

Also any good Audio Interface recommendations.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If you can spend a wee bit more I'd heartily recommend these. I have a pair myself and I've found them to be excellent. Not coloured, with a nice low end presence and good balance throughout the frequency range. Definitely worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Check out the new Behringer FCA202 for a basic 2in/2out 24/96 firewire interface. The alesis monitors linked are active and the behringers are passive, what amp are you getting to power the behringers? I've heard great things about the truths, However if you have the choice, get the active truths, theyre biamped and they will sound better than a seperate amp/monitor combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

The alesis monitors linked are active and the behringers are passive, what amp are you getting to power the behringers?

How do I power the monitors?

The Alesis are active, they power themselves. Each monitor has an amp built into it. All you need is a line out from whatever sound device you're using. The Behringers will need some sort of power amp.

You can get the Behringer Truth actives on thomann in two models, the 8" speaker model is about €400 per pair and the smaller version is €333 per pair. I've heard great things about both of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

these genelecs are absolutely beautiful. i know they're more than you were expectin to pay but they are absolutely outstanding monitors!

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-171718.html

They are a LOT more than he/she was expecting to pay! €978 per pair!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I got a pair of Tapco S5 active monitors, they're real nice. About €350 a pair i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

May be better to go for the Active monitors when your getting started, At the moment i got a pair of Behringer 2030A's, fuses were blown when i got them, didnt cost much to replace. but seem to be doing the job for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I was thinking about getting the Alesis M1 Mk2.
    Which would be better for producing drum & bass music, the truths or mk2's??

• Advertisement

I haven't heard the Behringers but I can vouch for the low end on the M1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pmk19

The yamaha MSP5 and M-Audio BX5 monitors got good reviews in computer music magazine in their category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

The msp-5's are nice monitors. Not a great low end but mixes travel well on them. Great value for the price :)

The active Beringers are pretty good but a little over budget. Anything less than €300 and active.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

You can get a set of Tannoy Reveals active on UK sites now for about €300. They are still approx €500 on the german sites funnily enough. I dont think anyone will argue about the reputation of tannoys

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stockdetail.jsp?sku=TANN-REVEAL5A&context=WEB

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/6425

I like these ESI's, they are reasonably priced, active bi amped.
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_esi_near05_aktive_nahfeldmonitore_prodinfo.html

Has anybody any opinions on them. I'll probably buy them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

my first reaction would say that they are powered speakers rather then proper monitors but not having used them before i can really comment.

Remember if there is coloring of the sound, they are useless as your mix will sound completely different brought to other systems (CD player, mp3, club, car etc) It is well worth your money to invest in decent monitors

Advertisement