Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methods of staying awake in a lecture...?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

mac_leinn wrote:
    Here's a little game to help you stay awake...

You know how most lecturers use certain words or sounds (or hand gestures) over and over again, usually at the start of a sentence. Things like "Erm", "So", "In fact", and so on...

Well, count how many times each lecturer uses them in a class. You can also engrave your results on the desk so others can compare your findings (not that I endorse vandalism). It also makes you listen to what they say too (which I suppose would be helpful for learning stuff)

mac
    or make it into a drinking game and knock back a shot everytime that word/phrase/gesture is said!!
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Scraggs wrote:
    or make it into a drinking game and knock back a shot everytime that word/phrase/gesture is said!!

Oh God, Ive created a monster!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Scraggs wrote:

And uh...drinking will keep him awake?

Scraggs, are you bringing alcohol into lectures? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Some of my eng friends used to have boat races during lectures. They'd have teams of 4/5 sitting at the back of lecture theatres, they'd run to the student bar in turn and knock back a pint, 1st team to get everyone back wins. Think there were forfeits for puking, not sure. Not a bad way to waste time!

mac_leinn wrote:
    Oh God, Ive created a monster!!!
    blame the parents tbh
    And uh...drinking will keep him awake?

Scraggs, are you bringing alcohol into lectures? :confused:

pffff obviously not my 9am ones.... people really shouldnt drink before 10.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

big jim, i think you're talking about the back of theatre B in science. me, coakley, jimmy and a few other names you'd know used to do it.... quite funny actually - even more so if it was chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Red Alert wrote:
    big jim, i think you're talking about the back of theatre B in science. me, coakley, jimmy and a few other names you'd know used to do it.... quite funny actually - even more so if it was chemistry.

Yea I remember aidan and jimmy did them, McGahan too. Some funny stories, I'll miss the engineers when you've all qualified (well...I'll still have jimmy :v: )

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Scraggs wrote:
    Reminds me of Joe Carthy Bingo tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

chew chewing gum, it increases brain activity.

try it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

^
    Most plausible idea so far! :D

Not that the drinking game wasn't intriguing...:o

I'll give it a lash!

• Advertisement

aww i was sure mine would be the weener

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Scraggs wrote:
    aww i was sure mine would be the weener

Hey, it was my idea! You just added alcohol. :)

fine then it was a joint effort....

^
    You like Johnny Cash, Scraggs? :)

Sure do!

*Whistles....I fell into a burning Ring of Fire...

Actually what a great way to stay awake in lectures... sing johnny cash songs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Pfft...

That'd make me fall asleep faster tbh... And I mean that in the nicest way possible!

^
    Harsh! :eek:

Cash rules! \m/

DaveMcG wrote:
    ^
    Most plausible idea so far! :D

Not that the drinking game wasn't intriguing...:o

I'll give it a lash!
    I fell asleep with the chewing gum in my mouth! :D lol

Same lecture too! I'm hopeless...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I need some ways of staying awake too... i'm trying to cut down on caffeine this week, and I've fallen asleep in all my lectures this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

A good night's sleep the night before and exercise is good. Unfortunately some lecture theatres get too stuffy and despite your best efforts the head starts to drop.......zzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement

for stuffiness protection try sitting down the front. you're nearer the lecturer for a start and in most of the arts theatres the air enters or leaves through large grilles under the screen.

lecturers who use the mic turned too loud just get tiring, and those who speak too softly and are oblivious to the amplification available just used to make me drift.

Do they have air conditioning in the theatres?

I think if they started pumping a bit of cool air into the place, that would significantly reduce the problem!!! Just a suggestion ¬_¬

no AC, more like air ventilation/circulation. which is no way near as effective.

So I see :p

I estimate that AC would reduce sleepiness by somewhere in the region of 60%. If my calculations are correct.

:)

yes and no, depends on exactly where you are and how you define air conditioning:

arts: fan blows air into theatre through a large heater coil (like a car radiator), comes out in the ceiling vents. another fan pulls air from the front of the theatre and blows it outside. cannot make it colder than outside.

science: separate fan-radiators with powered extract fans (large grilles in ceiling), air naturally comes in from the open doors. cannot make it colder than outside, although the science building is rarely too warm.

engineering: very odd system. large units in basement and on roof bring in outdoor air and preheat it before sending it to lecture rooms. reheat units in the theatre operate only when occupied - they have a large fan and heater and send half the air back to the room and the other half out to the corridor, the idea being that the warm bodies in the theatre help heat the concourse. the eng system may possibly be able to cool the air down but i'm not sure about that.

DaveMcG wrote:
    So I see :p

I estimate that AC would reduce sleepiness by somewhere in the region of 60%. If my calculations are correct.

:)

Idiot, you forgot to carry the 1. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Pah, just give in! It's what all the cool kids are doing :v:

Advertisement