Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re: Thermostat On a 97 Polo Saloon Classic

Options
  • 01-02-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    I've searched high and low on the car and on google as to where the Thermostat is on this car, the temp gauge seems faulty, rises when idle and drops back to the needle when driving, is there a thermostat on these cars or how the hell are they worked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is the coolant fan working? Sounds like that may be your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

It deffinity sounds like your thermo-stat is stuck in the open or semi open position. If at stand still the car reaches it's normal operating temperture, then when you start to drive it starts to "over-cool" the engine, the thermo-stat is not closing properly, and not reducing the flow of coolant entering the engine.

On knock on effect is that when you hit the motor way your engine is running cooler than it should, which isn't good, it's quite possible that the ECU for the engine is adding extra petrol as it see the engine is below normal operating temp.

I had this exact problem on my car when i got it first, changed the thermo-stat it's been fine ever since ( that's 2.5 years ago now )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

the thermostat is typically at the end of one of the two pipes feeding the radiator.
    VW being as they are, try the back of the waterpump.

What engine is this and where is the waterpump?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Talking to him before,its a 1.4,pump is in around the t/belt

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Hey!
    Been ill for the last few days so i've not had a chance to sort this problem out yet, The Cooling fan does come on after 7 or 8mins or so when idle so the only cause in my mind is the thermo, also what David said about the engine needing more fuel sounds about right. Had something similar happen some time back with a punto that caused untold problems but a simple little thermostat at a cost of €28 sorted the problem out. I've traced the two pipes feeding the radiator to a housing on the top right hand side ot the engine, just under the distributor cap. I hope this is it as i don't much fancy trying to get down past the water pump, not that much work space on that part of a polo engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Post a picture of the metal flanges on the engine that eh 2 pipes attach to and we might be able to figure which one has a thermostat lurking under it.

Advertisement