Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Shopping Centre?

Options
  • 01-02-2006 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

What's the story with the Portarlington Shopping Centre? Seen nothing happening on that site for a while now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

I heard that they didn't actually do correct perculation tests and that the land is so wet that they cant do anything with it. Sure it was supposed to be open last Autumn... Only a load of logs lying in the field at the moment... Typical Port...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Its all done downhill. Should just close up Port altogether and build a whole brand new town down the road a bit... we'll call it Port, Part Deux :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

But didn't they say the land where Derrymore is was too wet/ boggy to build houses on too. Now they have one estate there and another one going in behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It has'nt been built becasue Paul Moore decided that he was better off building the little village he's doin outside Portlaoise,i.e. bigger bonus for been finished quicker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

kmart6 wrote:
    It has'nt been built becasue Paul Moore decided that he was better off building the little village he's doin outside Portlaoise,i.e. bigger bonus for been finished quicker!!!

Is Portarlington destined to never have a shopping centre!! Granted it'd probably be **** but its the principal of the thing!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

feck a shoping centre. the should build a third level institute around the old avon plant. It would make going out around town that bit more fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

What's the story with the Avon factory? Surely there must be some multi-national some where looking for those kind of premises?

They must be able to do something with it! That would bring some employment to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Ay Cee wrote:
    What's the story with the Avon factory? Surely there must be some multi-national some where looking for those kind of premises?

They must be able to do something with it! That would bring some employment to the town.

It was bought by some European company but they haven't done anything too it yet!!! Its a prime site alright, its just a matter of time before something happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dermotk

Rumour has it that there is a consortium forming among a few big investors and a few local towns people to buy the Avon site. Suppost to involve local businessman Kieran Levey - he's also the chairman of the local GAA club I believe. The Coffeys from main street are supposed to be involved. Can't be 100% sure as to what the development will be used for but they rumour has it the present building is to be level and replaced with a large cinema / niteclub and leisplex type development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Donald f

That is bull**** where do u get ur info from?? What i heard is that it is to be turned into a petting zoo, the first one in the midlands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dermotk

That's what I heard. One of the lads that is well in with the Coffeys told me. He's one of the main barmen in the Anvil Inn which is owned by them, so he is well priveleged to info there. From what he told me, they haven't made a bid as the man that owns the property - McCormack I think is his name - is asking for a tidy sum for the site - he'd be lucky to get rid of it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Donald f wrote:
    What i heard is that it is to be turned into a petting zoo, the first one in the midlands

I`d belıeve the Leısure centre story more than that now :p

Advertisement