Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets Throw Out That Landline!

• 01-02-2006 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

This probably has being covered. And maybe it has being not.
    If all of us on Boards, are able to subscribe to a wireless broadband provider whats stopping us dropping eircom landline and rental completley?.
    Were all familiar with SKYPE. But I heard there is also other solutions out there, which also picks up incoming calls over the web, even when someone from a landline is calling. Is this true.? Wouldnt it be great if we had a sticky hear called "How to dump eircom out of my house". and instructions on how to do it.?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The sticky would almost be as good as this forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

tred wrote:
    This probably has being covered. And maybe it has being not.
    If all of us on Boards, are able to subscribe to a wireless broadband provider whats stopping us dropping eircom landline and rental completley?.
    Were all familiar with SKYPE. But I heard there is also other solutions out there, which also picks up incoming calls over the web, even when someone from a landline is calling. Is this true.? Wouldnt it be great if we had a sticky hear called "How to dump eircom out of my house". and instructions on how to do it.?.

www.blueface.ie is what i use, but go read the VoIP forum too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Adey2002 wrote:
    www.blueface.ie is what i use, but go read the VoIP forum too...

cheers mate. Will look into blueface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Skype too you can get incoming calls.
    Also some Wireless BB (Metro) the phone port has a real number and may even work with Fax and Modem.

Skype / Blueface and other PC based VOIP over BB, the codecs usually don't support Fax or modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

tred wrote:
    If all of us on Boards, are able to subscribe to a wireless broadband provider whats stopping us dropping eircom landline and rental completley?

1. Not all of us can subscribe to a wireless provider.
    2. Not all wireless providers provide a good/reliable enough service to handle VOIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Is voip handled relioable on NET1 does anyone know fro mexperience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

phutyle wrote:
    1. Not all of us can subscribe to a wireless provider.
    2. Not all wireless providers provide a good/reliable enough service to handle VOIP.

Not only that, but they're not [really] any cheaper than BT Ireland so there's very little reason to put up with their generally substandard services, unless you have to. The satisfaction of not paying Eircom is greatly diminished when you're faced with inconsistent speeds and pings.

Advertisement