Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Phone Calls???

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bejasis123

use this site its great www.nonoh.net

Sneachta wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Don't want to seem lazy but there is so much info in this thread it was taking me ages to find the info I need and I reckon someone will be able to tell me straight off anyway.

I want to know the cheapest way to call landlines and mobiles in the USA and in Spain. if anyone can help me I would be very grateful.

Thanks
    sneachta try www.nonoh.net its very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

paddyp wrote: »

if it comes out of my monthly O2 plan minutes, its no good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You can use Nonoh Phone-to-phone: http://www.nonoh.net/en/phone-to-phone.html or any other phone-to-phone service from many VoIP providers. Although Nonoh is cheap at 9.5c per min for mobile calls, and US landlines and mobiles are free. So the call through Nonoh would be 9.5c per min. How it works is the VoIP provider calls you on your mobile, then calls the number you want. So you're connected to the number you want at their mobile rate, which for Nonoh is 9.5 c per min, plus the cost of the call to the other number (US numbers are free for 120 days) So total cost would be 9.5c per min. if you're within the 120 free days credit. The only snag is you need to be at your computer to place the call, so that's a drawback. But there's some services that allow you to text the number you want to call to them, then they call you back, not sure if Nonoh do that. You could search for VoIP services that offer this.

You could also use a different SIM in your phone, it shouldn't be locked because it's a bill pay phone, and make the call for 13c per min evenings and weekends, on Meteor's Leisure Time Plus tariff. By using 13434's local access numbers, or any VoIP providers local access number. With 13434 that would work out at 13c per min to Meteor and 5c for the call. You can get a Meteor SIM for free if you buy €10 top-up. I'm assuming calls to landlines with O2 are more than that on your pay plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right lads I have a similar question. A friend of mine has an o2 pay as you go phone and has a daughter in the USA who also has a mobile I think. (could be a land line though).

Anyhow what would be her best/cheapest option to phone her daughter in the USA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

muffler wrote: »
    Right lads I have a similar question. A friend of mine has an o2 pay as you go phone and has a daughter in the USA who also has a mobile I think. (could be a land line though).

Anyhow what would be her best/cheapest option to phone her daughter in the USA?

have a look here, it should be of help to your friend

http://www.voipstunt.com/en/free.html

The same answer as I gave a few posts back. Your friend can use her O2 phone to call the 13434 access numbers (or set up a voip account and use their access numbers) for the price of a landline call plus 5c per call to phone USA mobiles, and .05c (half a cent) per min for USA landlines. If your friend is paying more than 13c per min to make a landline call on her O2 phone she can pick up a Meteor phone or SIM card and use the credit/top-up on that to make calls at 13c per min. off-peak using the Leisure Time Plus tariff: http://www.meteor.ie/personal/pay_as_you_go/price_plans/ All she needs to do then is register with 13434, and enter her card details and mobile number, then she'll be able to use their access numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 silly1

Anyone using 13434 from a BTIreland landline. I am interested in saving money on calls to UK & USA. It seems to me from looking at the 13434 website that you have to dial as follows
    "Once registered you can call our local rate access number 01 6850850* (in the Dublin area)"

Also they state on the website ...
    * 01 6 and 02 1calls from mobiles or fix lines may come out your inclusive free minutes or your operator may charge separately for calls to 016 numbers depending on your operator and tariff plan; please check with your mobile operator for correct rates

I would be interested to hear of anyone's experience in this regard especially if BTIreland have any special rates for dialling 01 6850850

Otherwise the service seems very cheap.

IF YOU TRY WWW.NONOH.NET ITS A LOT CHEAPER

bejasis123 wrote: »

Thanks bejasis123 but this is VOIP which as far as I know requires a software install plus you must use it through your Pc which is not very flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

silly1 wrote: »
    Thanks bejasis123 but this is VOIP which as far as I know requires a software install plus you must use it through your Pc which is not very flexible.

No need for software they have a callback service you put in your telephone number on the website and the number you want to call, then then call your number and when you pickup they dial the other number.

Try it on the website for free. (Free trial is for a 5 minute call only, but once you put credit in you account you can have free calls to landlines in many countries up to 60 mins long)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Check out www.mobivox.com no need to download anything.

Yeah you're kinda caught with 13434 unless you're with Eircom, or have a package that includes national/local calls with BT. You could switch to UTV Talk and make the UK calls free off peak and weekends, and the US calls through 13434.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭freshfruit

I have subscribed to it. It works best with the eircom landline but you also get access to it via the Dublin number. You can register other telephone numbers from which you will use the service such as your office number or your mobile.

I only used the Dublin number once from my mobile and it worked for an international call but this has changed according to the last posts.

What else? I make a lot of calls to Germany and Europe and the monthly bill comes to roughly 2 euros. This is collected by Direct Debit. You get an itemised bill via email.

So far, I think they are great and a real bargain. As cheap as skype.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

bejasis123 wrote: »

This website lists calls to Irish mobiles as costing :

Ireland (Mobile) SuperDeal!** 0.080 0.095

Then the "**" refers to :

** Nonoh reserves the right after a certain amount of calls to start charging the default rate. FREE CALLS are available for users with Freedays.

Anyone know what the default rate is for mobiles?I can't find it on the site.

The rate to Irish mobiles is 9.5c per min including VAT:
    Ireland (Mobile) SuperDeal!** 0.080 0.095

http://www.nonoh.net/en/calling-rates.html

Thanks to all for the replies.

However I would like to hear of anyone's experience of using this service if they are a BTIreland customer.

What I am particularly interested to hear is whether BTIreland charge extra for the number of minutes on the local access number. If they do then this would be a determining factor as to whether to go with them or not.

:confused:

freshfruit wrote: »
    I have subscribed to it. It works best with the eircom landline but you also get access to it via the Dublin number. You can register other telephone numbers from which you will use the service such as your office number or your mobile.

I only used the Dublin number once from my mobile and it worked for an international call but this has changed according to the last posts.

What else? I make a lot of calls to Germany and Europe and the monthly bill comes to roughly 2 euros. This is collected by Direct Debit. You get an itemised bill via email.

So far, I think they are great and a real bargain. As cheap as skype.

Hope that helps

Hi there Freshfruit, when you say
    I have subscribed to it. It works best with the eircom landline but you also get access to it via the Dublin number.
    are you saying that you are a BTIreland customer but that it works best with Eircom or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

kleefarr wrote: »
    Check out www.mobivox.com no need to download anything.

Has anybody used this? Is it actually free? From what i read on the site, and how i understand it, its seems like u can use your mobile to call someone else on there landline or mobile aslong as they have a mobivox account too. Is this correct?

• Advertisement

suppafly wrote: »
    Has anybody used this? Is it actually free? From what i read on the site, and how i understand it, its seems like u can use your mobile to call someone else on there landline or mobile aslong as they have a mobivox account too. Is this correct?

Mobiles not included here....:mad::(
    members' mobile phones in:
    Canada, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Thailand and United-States (including Alaska and Hawaii).

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭freshfruit

Hi, I am a Eircom customer. You can use it with other providers as well, if you use their dial-in number for Dublin. If you have a price-plan that includes local minutes it might be worth your while. Looking at previous posts it seems as if this is sometimes busy/unavailable for mobiles etc.

The other thing to point out is that 13434's great rates have changed. I call Germany a lot. The landline rate has gone up from 0.5c to 7c a minute - a whopping 1400% increase.

They might still be cheap for your particular destination, so you will need to check the countries that you are dialling most and see if it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LaughingMatter

I signed up over a year ago, after reading a recommendation on this board (I think).

Been very happy since, though like freshfruit says above, you need to watch out for those unexpected rate changes.

I guess they're in the business of buying chunks of bandwidth from various suppliers, and no doubt the bargains come and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

freshfruit wrote: »
    The other thing to point out is that 13434's great rates have changed. I call Germany a lot. The landline rate has gone up from 0.5c to 7c a minute - a whopping 1400% increase.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like their rates for France have also suffered a big increase from 1 cent to 9 cent per min which is fast approaching the BT rate. The scary part is they don't tell you so unless you get a shock in your bill or read it online you'd never know.. Going to watch these guys real close now..

You have the option of having an automated voice telling you the rate of each call at the start of each call. It can be a bit iritating but having been caught out by there fluctuating prices before I have it on for every call....

invest4deepvalue.com

din0saur wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like their rates for France have also suffered a big increase from 1 cent to 9 cent per min which is fast approaching the BT rate. The scary part is they don't tell you so unless you get a shock in your bill or read it online you'd never know.. Going to watch these guys real close now..

If you use their Dublin access number the rate to France is 1c per min and Germany is still free (5c connection fee): http://www.13434.ie/mobilerates.php

If you're with Eircom and live in Dublin (01 area) make your call to their Dublin access number 01 6850850 in the evenings and weekends. It'll cost 1.32c per min but you'd be making a saving overall. The same applies if you're in Cork but just use their Cork access number evenings and weekends. For the rest of the country use either number but only at the weekends and Bank Holidays. That way your call to the access number still only costs 1.32c per min plus the lower 13434 landline access charge. It's a little inconvenient but well worth the effort and wait for the savings I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just got my latest bill from 13434 for € 17.18
    Mobile - 30 mins
    National - 29 mins
    Local - 190 mins
    UK - 85 mins.

I work from home so 95% of these calls are weekdays.

Eircom (all calls weekdays) = €31 for the above (Saving €14).
    Eircom (all calls weekends) = €17.30!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

taung wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this phone company;

http://www.call13434.ie/index2.php

There prices seem to good to be true?

Are they a bona fide company?

How come there is no contact information on their website?

Have they been licenced by Comreg?
    >>>>>
    Tried www.call13434.ie for cheap calls?
    Yes I have tried them the connections to mobile phone network in Ireland is appauling lots of droped calls very poor quality otherwise for landlines calls they are great.
    award winning Mobivox.com you should definitely check out and blueface.ie

Regards

Oracle wrote: »
    If you are with Eircom there's no need to phone any 13434 access numbers, you just put the prefix 13434 before the number you want to dial. Of course first, you need to set up an account with 13434, and enter your landline number. Then you're good to go!

Not sure what your question is about the O2 bill mobile phone. :confused:

Yes it makes a difference, but not to the call rates, the call rate you pay is similar. It makes a difference to how you access the 13434 service. If you pay line rental to Eircom (i.e you get an Eircom bill), you can use the 13434 prefix before each number. If you don't pay line rental to Eircom, but to another provider, you have to use the local access numbers before you make the call. You cannot use the 13434 prefix if you're not with Eircom. You get similar call rates, but you also pay for the cost of the call to the 13434 access numbers.

Just to clarify my understanding of this as I am a BTIreland customer.

If I were to call the following there would be three elements to the total cost of the call

Example of a non local call within Ireland
    1: 13434 connection fee 0.05 cents
    2: BTIreland charge 0.0379 cents (for using the 01 6850850 local access number at peak time)
    3: 13434 0.00 cents (for Ireland landline)
    Total cost for a 1 minute call with 13434 = €0.0879 cents.

Example of a call to a landline in London for 1 hour
    1: 13434 connection fee 0.05 cents
    2: BTIreland charge 0.0379 cents per minute (for using the 01 6850850 local access number at peak time)
    3: 13434 0.00 cents (for UK landline although not sure if this is the right rate)
    Total cost for a 60 minute call to London with 13434 = 0.05 + (60 * 0.0379 = €2.274) +0.00 = €2.324

united kingdom (land lines) 0
    united kingdom [0845 rate] (land lines) 5
    united kingdom [national rate] (land lines) 10

To do the same xall through BTIreland directly costs 60 * 7.99 = €4.794

Saving €2.47

On the face of it it looks like there are massive savings but when you add in the BTIreland costs the savings are substantially reduced.

I would be interested to hear of anyone else' experience of the BTIreland/13434 combination and also if they could confirm that my figures are correct.

Thanks

But if you are with BT then you should opt for one of their packages whereby you get free phone calls up to 1 hours duration to all landlines in Ireland and the UK.

muffler wrote: »
    But if you are with BT then you should opt for one of their packages whereby you get free phone calls up to 1 hours duration to all landlines in Ireland and the UK.

Thanks muffler but I was only using the above as examples. However I anticipate that I will have a need for calls to the UK, USA & Australia so I am looking for something cheaper than BTIreland.

• Advertisement

Ah right. I understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Hi guys

Can anyone help me - ive a good friend moving to Aus and will need to keep in contact so i will prob be ringing /texting an aus mobile a good bit. I have a meteor ready to go mobile and dont want to have to rely on skype on a pc but would prob be using my mobile to ring.

Thanks all

corklad32 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Can anyone help me - ive a good friend moving to Aus and will need to keep in contact so i will prob be ringing /texting an aus mobile a good bit. I have a meteor ready to go mobile and dont want to have to rely on skype on a pc but would prob be using my mobile to ring.

Thanks all

Check out www.mobivox.com phone to phone no PC apart from registering etc.
    I find them very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

corklad32 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Thanks all

If you have an O2 sim you can set up an online account and send 200 texts to anywhere in the world for free every month. You have to send them from a PC though unless you have an ipod touch,iphone or internet enabled phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

used them for three years never had any problem. Excellant voice quality and way cheaper. no chating at all

rgrds

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sonic74f

The 13434 site does not inspire much confidence though, it is obviously a good system based on reports here but on one page it states Irish Landline to landline is 1cent/min and on another page it says 0cent/min. It also states the phone charges are inclusive of 21% which is a fairly out of date now its 21.5%. I know that is being picky but only the proof is here on this site I would think it a dodgy site.

sonic74f wrote: »
    The 13434 site does not inspire much confidence though, it is obviously a good system based on reports here but on one page it states Irish Landline to landline is 1cent/min and on another page it says 0cent/min. It also states the phone charges are inclusive of 21% which is a fairly out of date now its 21.5%. I know that is being picky but only the proof is here on this site I would think it a dodgy site.

I've been using 13434 for years now and have never had a major problem. The only gripe is that you will sometimes get an engaged tone, not because the the person you're calling is on the phone but because of a bottleneck in 13434's system. Although they do seem to have sorted this out in recent months.

Prices do occasionally change (though not for sometime now) so it is a good idea to use the option where the system tells you the per minute charge at the start of each call at least that way you always know where you stand.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 catleo

Ok so have read the thread but still unsure...I am looking for the cheapest way to call a NZ landline from either a Meteor or Vodafone mobile (PAYG), currently calling directly from Vodafone to NZ landline and it costs 25c per min...just wondering if I can get it cheaper than this.

catleo wrote: »
    Ok so have read the thread but still unsure...I am looking for the cheapest way to call a NZ landline from either a Meteor or Vodafone mobile (PAYG), currently calling directly from Vodafone to NZ landline and it costs 25c per min...just wondering if I can get it cheaper than this.

On Mobivox the cost from your phone will be 2.1c per minute. (USA cents) The only other charge is the call from your mobile to your nearest local access number in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

I call Spanish mobile numbers a lot. My land line is with Smart Telecom, where the rate is 40c per minute. I can use http://www.cheapcalls.ie/ and get 30c a minute on a 1520 premium rate number. But the same 1520 number would be only 15c a minute on Eircom! :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Adelante

Hi guys, have to call into a teleconference call via a bridgeline -(ie cant use Skype or any other VOIP) to the US from my home landline (Eircom). Duration is over the next six weeks for 75 mins approx

Ive read the thread and it would seem 13434 is the way to go, just playing Devils Adovcate has anyone used CheapChat.ie recently and how do they compare with 13434. The rates per the CheapChat.ie website appear to not have been updated since '06.

If this was to only the time Id be calling internationally (ie) to the US not as frequent caller in other words.Would anyone have cheaper alternatives
    Thanks in advance and Happy New year to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

You can use 1890 99 02 02 from your landline. You will just be charged at local call rate (http://www.dialwise.ie/index2.php?landline).

I have called into a teleconference via VOIP (US number) and it worked fine for me. Although I do use skype, for teleconference I used www.justvoip.com

Advertisement