Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best underrated TV show currently showing

• 01-02-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Outside the mega shows like DH, Lost, 24 and the soaps whats should we be watching?

Any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

My Name is Earl :D
    Cold Case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Shameless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Definitely 'Veronica Mars'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Elmo wrote:
    Outside the mega shows like DH, Lost, 24 and the soaps whats should we be watching?
    You haven't mentioned Battlestar Galactica, so I'll say that.

Not sure if it is underrated, but most of my friends won't give it the time of day for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Arrested Development, think its on TV3 or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

My name is Earl. Fantastic with a capital F.
    Arressted Development. Pure Genius
    Survivor on TG4 dosen't get enough viewers IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I gotta put in a vote for My Name is Earl. Only show I'm really watching on actual TV at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My Name Is Earl - funniest new comedy of the season.. Jason Lee + Ethan Suplee = hilarity. Truly brillant stuff!

Prison Break - best drama this year - so friggin' exciting! And criminally overlooked by a lot of critics / award commitees.

Veronica Mars - the first season was fantastic. While the second season is still very watchable with some truly fantastic dialogue. The whole ignoring the main plotline of the second season (
    bus crash
    ) is quite irritating!!

Arrested Development - this season definantly isn't near as good as the previous two in my opinion but still an hilarious and extremely intelligent show which everyone should watch. And heres praying it's get picked up next season!

The Office - being unfairly dismissed by so many people. It gets funnier practically by the week with Steve Carell truly making the role of Michael Scott his own. Needs to be seen by own people (without making the comparison to Gervais / Merchant's ground-breaking original series)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Peep Show is simply the funniest show I've seen in years.
    Season 3 just wrapped up on C4.
    Seasons 1 and 2 are on DVD.
    Hopefully we'll see Season 4 later this year.

whiskeyman wrote:
    ..Hopefully we'll see Season 4 later this year..
    Fraid it's not likely!
    Channel 4 is "unlikely" to give the go-ahead to a fourth series of Peep Show, according to Broadcast.

Sources told the mag that a decision on the future of the acclaimed comedy would be made this week.

Ratings dipped to an average of just 1.3 million viewers and a 6% audience share for series three, broadcast at the end of last year.

The channel is apparently still "keen" to work with the show's stars, David Mitchell and Robert Webb, and is considering them for a new sketch show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

csi....vegas, ny and miami....love them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The it crowd! Starts this Friday. I watched the first 2 episodes on channel fours website and its great.

Tusky wrote:
    The it crowd! Starts this Friday. I watched the first 2 episodes on channel fours website and its great.
    Oh.. Tusky! :o

I truly respect your taste in shows and i know you're a big Chris Morris fan but surely not 'The IT Crowd' :eek:

Mind you, Chris Morris the only one in it with a sliver of comedic timing. The rest are about as funny as testicular cancer...

.... definantly not a laughing matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I forgot about Peep show. I've been meaning to pick that up on dvd for ages, but I've no means for online shopping, and i've been unable to find it in shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Crucifix wrote:
    I forgot about Peep show. I've been meaning to pick that up on dvd for ages, but I've no means for online shopping, and i've been unable to find it in shops.
    saw Season 2 in Tower Records (off Grafton St) for 15.99 yesterday.
    They had around 5 or 6 copies.

Am gutted C4 are ending it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Arrested Development - The best show on t.v. by a long long way.

My Name Is Earl - I recently started watching it and it is great. While it doesn't offer the biggest laughs, it is still funny and always entertaining

Prison Break - Regardless of how far-fetched it is, the show is very entertaining
    and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. I can't understand why this doesn't get the same kind of viewing figures as Lost does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Look At My Sig....One of the most underrated Shows Out there. Not showing over here at the moment but fingers crossed.

My name is earl is pretty cool aswel.

Also Everybody Should Check out Curb your Enthusiasm on more4

But Seriously if you havent seen Arrested Development You Really Should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

hey somebody mention a show we havn't heard of !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

basquille wrote:
    Oh.. Tusky! :o

I truly respect your taste in shows and i know you're a big Chris Morris fan but surely not 'The IT Crowd' :eek:

Mind you, Chris Morris the only one in it with a sliver of comedic timing. The rest are about as funny as testicular cancer...

.... definantly not a laughing matter!

haha. I love the black guy ( Dean Learner from darkplace ) & Morris's character. I find it quite funny. The other two are quite anoying though.

Would like to add "Grey's Anatomy" to my list also!

Not exactly under-rated in the US as it's earning about the same number of viewers as 'Lost' in the US but it's criminally under-rated over here - had a 10PM Monday night slot on LivingTV but that was it!

One of the Irish stations should buy it - excellent viewing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Aside from shows already mentioned, let me throw in "The Wire" - criminally under-recognised. No other cop show has such neat, long runing story lines and great characters and such damned realism that hooks you in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Nobody has mentioned House on Five. Thursdays at 10pm

The second series is two episodes in.

If you can't get Five, Hallmark showed the last series so keep an eye out for it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Goodshape wrote:
    You haven't mentioned Battlestar Galactica, so I'll say that.

Not sure if it is underrated, but most of my friends won't give it the time of day for some reason.

same only one poerson i kn ow watches it with me and enjoys it propperly others only kinda watch but i love that show so much

Other shows to watch even tho its not on anymore black books one of the funniest real life shows ive seen ever family guy is amazing too but its a cartoon black books a must see

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

Shameless, The Shield, Smallville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

"Trailer Park Boys 2305 Paramount Comedy......brilliant....

Those Canuck accents are great.... "Get oout"

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Fans of Office, Earl, etc should check out Corner Gas.
    Fans of 24, Prison Break, etc should check out Sleeper Cell.
    Another wonderful show that nobody has mentioned yet is Harvey Birdman, Attorney At Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's been mentioned before, but Arrested Development is the best show I've possibly ever seen on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

QI, well im not sure whether or not it is underrated but sure i think its brilliant and you dont usually hear people talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

mine definately has to be grey's anatomy, brilliant show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Blisterman wrote:
    It's been mentioned before, but Arrested Development is the best show I've possibly ever seen on TV.
    Amen to that. Everbody should watch an episode sometime in their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

ixoy wrote:
    Aside from shows already mentioned, let me throw in "The Wire" - criminally under-recognised. No other cop show has such neat, long runing story lines and great characters and such damned realism that hooks you in.

I completely agree,The Wire is a brilliant show and so underrated that its a crime! I just bought season 1 on dvd :)

Basquille,as far as I know,RTE have bought the rights to Grey's Anatomy,which is also a very good show.

tvnutz wrote:
    ..Basquille,as far as I know,RTE have bought the rights to Grey's Anatomy,which is also a very good show.
    Ah right!.. taking them a while to show it!

They're halfway through the second season in the US (even though Season 1 was only 9 episodes).

Getting better each week though!

Ye i know. I was watching on Living TV,who seemed to show the first 9 eps of season one and then about 4 eps of season 2 and counted that as one season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'd have to second or third the vote for Veronica Mars... I went on a crusade in this forum when the first season ended in the US to get people to watch it.

The premise put me off it at first and the name seemed a little naff but it's brilliantly written, really well acted (by most people) and the pace was great for season 1. Not enjoying season 2 as much but it's still up there with some of the best US TV shows out there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm up to Ep. 14 of My name is Earl and I absolutly love it. Funniest show since AD which is still my favourite comedy. I really hope one of the other networks picks it up. I also love Las Vegas. Started watching Season 3 now and it's as good as ever. And of course there's Scrubs. Can't believe nobody has mentioned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

My Name Is Earl is certainly better than I expected and gets a nod from me, as does Monk

steveland? wrote:
    I'd have to second or third the vote for Veronica Mars... I went on a crusade in this forum when the first season ended in the US to get people to watch it.

The premise put me off it at first and the name seemed a little naff but it's brilliantly written, really well acted (by most people) and the pace was great for season 1. Not enjoying season 2 as much but it's still up there with some of the best US TV shows out there

How could I forget...great show,should be watched by everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dearv

Have to agree with Grey's Anatomy definately one of the best shows on tv & criminally unheard of here - dialougue is brilliantly written & its just a damn good show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Fans of Office, Earl, etc should check out Corner Gas.
    Agreed. I've only caught a few out-of-sequence episodes of this Canadian show but I already love it. Am planning to get Season 1 and 2 on DVD. :D It's currently in its third season.

It's a lot like Scrubs as well, I find. Each characher has an "escapist" moment from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

What about 'Life On Mars' BBC1 Mondays? Anyone else as big a fan as I am?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

CSI:NY?
    granted the original show is the best, NY is the best of the spin-offs IMHO. RTE2 give it a really crappy timeslot mind you. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

8 simple rules (for dating my daughter) is pretty good family comedy. It's on RTE at the weekends i think and ABC1 on digital also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CS:NY - great show which gets even darker in Season 2
    Life on Mars - Love the quirkiness of it and unstated homage to "The Sweeney"
    Grey's Anatomy is also good although it did take quite a while to get going.
    Off topic:Also think it was a pity that Dead Like Me didn't get the ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Battlestar Galactica and Arrested Development are my two. Arrested Development is the best comedy I've seen in ages, heres hoping it gets picked up by someone for another series. Battlestar Galactica is brilliant also.

Advertisement