Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

newish golf or old golf

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

ahem yeah! 35k for a 1.6, ok for someone with loads of dosh and no driving exp, i.e. ok insurance and tax wise, but still a bit of a no brainer. I wonder will VW put the TSI engine in the a4.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

i'm sure they'll charge for it if they do!

speaking of VW, they're doing a MK1 GTI (ish) edition in South Africa called the VoloCITI, has interior from Lupo GTI. looks cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bazz I can tell you now that theres no way its a 8v petrol engine, 102bhp? its the 16v non-FSI engine.

Have a read from the horse's mouth:
    http://www.audi.ie/audi/ie/en1/new_cars/a3/a3/technical_specifications.html

The 1.6 102bhp 4 cylinder engine is an 8 valve unit that dates back to the mid 1990s A4. It was also available in the Passat, A3, Octavia, Golf, Bora, Toledo and Leon. It is still available today in the Golf, Jetta, A3, A4, Octavia, Altea, Leon and Toledo.

The 1.6 FSi has 115bhp and is sold along side all the above except the A4. The new Passat has the 1.6 FSi as standard. The only 1.6 engine in the A4 is the 8 valve unit.

It has four valves per cylinder, the older had two. no it dosent it has two !! thats a misprint. LOL crazy germans and their 8v engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the 97 corolla is the best, IMO. I just sold one, originally bought as an alternative to the same years golf but what a car 75bhp out of a 1.3 engine. very light steering and very entertaining to drive, rock solid even up 140kph. The '00 1.8 Vtec accord that was bought to replace it isnt half as entertaining.

the 98 on new model is even better, the car is so balanced its amazing, on an empty industrial estate the other day when it was iced over, slides were so controlled it was amazing considering the knobbly tires. the 97 one has the same 4efe engine as the 98, great engine without a doubt like a mini racing engine:D .
    they ruined the corolla in subsequent versions incidentally.

also the vw 1.6 102 bhp is definately 8valve, as i test drove it in the audi and it is a 100% 8valver. sent a shudder through my spine enough to pay extra for the fsi 16vavle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

Hi,

My mate is thinking about selling his 99 reg VW Golf 3 door.

It's the 1.6 petrol comfortline version so dunno if you'd still be interested.

Mileage: 55,500 miles
    Extra: Elec mirrors, Elec windows, front centre armrest, velour upholstery, 16 inch alloy wheels with locking nuts ( These are the alloys found on the VW Golf 4 motion model).

It's a Dublin reg car if that makes any difference to you.

The car is well maintained and hasnt given him any bother.

I think the asking price is 8500 euro but I'd have to double check that.

I can try and get pics from him if u like.

PM me if ur interested.

Strange about the 1.6 in the audi as it was 16v in my seat leon.

Strange about the 1.6 in the audi as it was 16v in my seat leon.
    u are probably right, vw definately had 16valve 1.6s in the mk4 golf before the fsi era.
    crazy vw, bringing the 8valvers back to differenciate between their fsi's:rolleyes:
    i didnt mind paying extra though, the fsi's are high compression, high pressure direct injection engines(similar to diesel pumpe dusse technology), very advanced powerful and fuel efficient.

but shouldn't FSI be standard on the Audi
    Vorsprung Durch Technik

(German for 'Progress through technology')

me @RSE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr Picky

probly not a whole lotta help but i got a Mk2 gti for e3,000 a few months back with only 85k mikes on (it's an '89)
    Powerful, economical, reliable and a hoot to drive!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lomb wrote:
    u are probably right, vw definately had 16valve 1.6s in the mk4 golf before the fsi era.
    crazy vw, bringing the 8valvers back to differenciate between their fsi's:rolleyes:
    i didnt mind paying extra though, the fsi's are high compression, high pressure direct injection engines(similar to diesel pumpe dusse technology), very advanced powerful and fuel efficient.

Don't VW recommend that Super Unleaded petrol be used in the FSi engine in order to maximise power and effiency from the FSi technology? I know the engine will run perfectly on Unleaded95, won't cause any harm and there are still huge benefits over the old 8 valve unit.

The FSi technology looks very interesting on paper. Is there any place left in country that sells SU though to take full advantage of it?

yep it runs fine on standard unleaded 95 octane as it has knock control and can retard the spark(its a high compression engine so bad fuel detonates early), although for peak power 98 octane is recommended i think. the main thing is it runs on ultra low sulphur fuel to take advantage of the stratified mode of the fsi(the ultra lean burn fuel efficent mode)
    luckily all petrol sold in the EU is now ultra low sulphur.
    i still reakon it will output 110 bhp on 95, not a bad amount when u think about it! il let u know how it feels when its delivered.

So much for the "sporty arm of VAG!" give me a $eat over that badge any day. The only reason I'd buy an audi is for the quattro system.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just to clear things up, the '99 Bora 1.6 is definitely 8V. From '00 VAG introduced the 1.6 16V

When the Seat Leon was introduced in 2000, it only had the 8V, but the 16V was added later in the year

Beats me why some manufacturers are using 8V engines in this day and age. When the Mark V Golf was introduced it still had the 8V 1.6 :rolleyes:

I've owned old 32V BMWs for over 5 years now...

unkel wrote:
    Beats me why some manufacturers are using 8V engines in this day and age. When the Mark V Golf was introduced it still had the 8V 1.6 :rolleyes:

in one word-cost.
    vw dont even do the 8valvers in the uk, and they all have dynamic traction control+aircon as standard, where as we are stuck with plain traction control and no aircon :rolleyes:

lomb wrote:
    in one word-cost.
    vw dont even do the 8valvers in the uk, we are stuck with plain traction control and no aircon :rolleyes:

I don't think the 8v 1.6 would ever get into a situation to need traction control......

Advertisement