Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Lucan

• 01-02-2006 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to Lucan this weekend. We signed the contract, got the keys, paid the dues, and it's all done now. The house is in Kew Park, and I just found out that I can't get broadband there. Period.

I checked with IBB, NTL, eircom, esatBT, clearwire, digiweb. Have I missed anyone?
    Is there anyone here familiar with that area? Living there? Please help!

Ta,
    JP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Congrats on your move to Lucan : home of high-density housing, swinging parties, Chinese take aways and the Countries best Traffic jams. Best decison you'll ever make!

I went for Eircom in the end. Was holdin out for Smart telecom for since last February but they kept on changing their roll-out dates in Lucan. It went from Next month to Summer 2005 to Winter 2005. I check in December, it said Early next year. Nuts to that! Eircom are doin a deal on an 8 gig limit for €30 a month. Thought it looked the best value of the available providers.
    Some of the ones you mention get wildy differing reports so I just didnt bother.

Course if you are getting NTL for your TV, you might want to check them out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

JoyPad wrote:
    Hi,
    The house is in Kew Park

You're fookin' messin' ? :p small world

anyway: I'm living in Kew Park, and I've got Eircom Home PLus package. Had no problems with it being installed. And my sister around the block has UTV Qucksilver(or whatever it is called now). I'm afraid them companys you rang are full of it.

NTL: Not Available
    Smart: Not Available
    Eircon: Available
    BT: Available
    UTV: Available
    Clearwire: No idea
    Digiweb: No idea
    IBB: Just outside the rage of the Esker mast, sorry.

NTL is *supposed* to be coming in this summer.

DaBreno wrote:
    Chinese take aways
    Flaming wok II ftfw. Not for the food, but the delivery speed. Got to my house in 4 minutes before. 4 minutes!
    DaBreno wrote:
    Countries best Traffic jams.
    Yes. Little word of warning: The dual carriage way outside the estate generally gets rather blocked on tuesdays and wednesdays for some reason man will never know... might wanna leave a little earlier for work etc. those days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

JoyPad wrote:
    [...]I just found out that I can't get broadband there.[...]

All the ISPs I mentioned have told me that they cannot provide a broadband service in my area. I was asking for help in finding an alternative.

Thanks,
    JP

JoyPad wrote:
    All the ISPs I mentioned have told me that they cannot provide a broadband service in my area. I was asking for help in finding an alternative.

Thanks,
    JP

Unless the line to the actual house you're going for is shoddy... But my house is one of the oldest in the estate, and BB works fine(well, atm it's acting up, but usualy it works fine).

mang87 wrote:
    You're fookin' messin' ? :p small world
    Heh. I'm moving from Galway to Dublin, and house hunting has gone awfully, as you can imagine, due to distance. By the time I got there, houses were already gone. Fortunately, I found this nice house, and we loved the space. Didn't think one second about traffic or shopping or takeaways or other stuff.

mang87 wrote:
    anyway: I'm living in Kew Park, and I've got Eircom Home PLus package.
    Must split some wigs at eircom to get it? Could it be that my phone line fails the test while yours, same estate, works?
    mang87 wrote:
    Yes. Little word of warning: The dual carriage way outside the estate is generally gets rather blocked on tuesdays and wednesdays for some reasons... might wanna leave a little earlier for work etc. those days ;)
    Thanks for the tip. Was planning on scouting the traffic this coming week. New job starts on 14th - I tried to avoid a start on 13th :).

Cheers,
    JP

• Advertisement

mang87 wrote:
    Unless the line to the actual house you're going for is shoddy... But my house is one of the oldest in the estate, and BB works fine(well, atm it's acting up, but usualy it works fine).
    I sent you a PM.

Cheers,
    JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

mang87 wrote:

Flaming wok II ftfw. Not for the food, but the delivery speed. Got to my house in 4 minutes before. 4 minutes!

what is the crispy duck like? I live in esker woods in lucan and the chinese i use, Golden Bamboo is horrible

by the way i have NTL s and had BT, some areas in lucan have it ,some dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If it is a new phone line, it will default to Fail on every bitstream provider's database until the monthly eircom automated line test runs.

If it is a currently disconnected line that was used by the previous occupant, it may be out of the testing loop, or previous occupant may have been using telephone equipment that caused the automated line test to fail.

If you don't want to wait a month, you can ask eircom to run a line test for you but make sure they're actually running a line test and not just checking the line status on their database. Once eircom pass the line, the results will be forwarded to other bitstream resellers so you can order your ADSL from BT, UTV, Netsource, et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Joypad, do you have the phone number for the new house?

or did you just ring up the providors with the estate name?

The reason I ask is because there are at least 2 exchanges in lucan (that I know of). I am on one and my neighbour is on d'other, I have BB and he doesn't. I know the Ballydowd one is BB enabled and is on the Smart "soon" list.

mang87 - what exchange are you connected to? this might help out joypad if he can find out what exchange his new house is connected to.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Use netsource's line tester. If the line has been tested, it will give a test date. If it hasn't been tested, wait for a few weeks.

• Advertisement

When I called them up, I gave the previous occupants' phone number, which is currently disconnected. This was the reason for test failing.
    I rang eircom today, had the line activated, been given a new number, and this one passes the test.
    I know this is not 100% certain that I will get BB, but it's definitely a start.

Now, if I could decide what DSL to go with, it'd be great. I've had a brilliant experience with eircom so far, been using their DSL package for a year, and I didn't have any problem whatsoever. The netopia wireless AP/modem/router worked great with my devices. I know they are the priciest choice, so I'm looking at the alternatives, even though I'd love to save a bit, while keeping the same standard of quality, if possible.

Smart is not available, but esatBT and UTV are, so I'll have a look at their price packages. So far:
    1. eircom PROs: good experience, quick install; CONs: kinda dear
    2. BT: looks real good at 40 euro for 2Mb and line rental. However, I'm worried the transfer might take a long time. Eircom won't give me the new account number over the phone, they will mail it to me on or about 17th of February. When I get that, I could order BB from BT, and they said it will take 3 weeks to get it running. Sounds a bit long.
    3. UTV: very similar to eircom in terms of pricing. I'd prefer sticking to eircom than going with them.

UPDATE: added UTV/BT info.

Thanks to all contributors!
    Cheers,
    JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

you'll be happy enough with Eircom, Cheap and Cheerful.

ps. Agree with Flaming Wok, tis the biz. Golden Bamboo and Famous Chinese are very average. Goodyear does the best spare ribs in Lucan. And then theres Anandale.......oooooohhhhhh baby.....

Good to hear, JoyPad!

I'd go with eircom, I'm on them. My sister has UTV, I'm not impressed with their service tbh. Eircom, up until the recently, have never failed me! But I get terrible speeds ATM.
    DaBreno wrote:
    Anandale

Tis called The Great Lucan now ya n00b!! The people that owned Anadales moved to Donnabate(sp?) and changed the name to The Mandrin :cool:

Yes, the food was so good from anadales, I've been down all the way to their new places just for a meal, several times!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

JoyPad wrote:
    Smart is not available, but esatBT and UTV are, so I'll have a look at their price packages.

Smart should be available at some point soon (says he hopefully). I'm on BT at the moment and find the single bill quite cost effective.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

Mad I'm down in the Moy Glas part have NTL very good very reliable so far haven't had it for too long though.

Advertisement