Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys WRT54G Router Setup Problems

• 01-02-2006 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭

Having problems setting up a wireless network from home. I bought a Linksys WRT54G Router + USB Adapter from Komplett recently.

Set-Up:
    I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop (bought 3 months ago), and a Dell dekstop (can't remember the model no., a few years old, no NIC/wireless built in, using USB1.1).
    On digiweb DSL2 package, which came with a ZyXel Prestige 660RU-T1 modem.

My problem is 2 fold, one that I'm unable to connect to the Router itself using the usb adapter, and 2 that the laptop can connect to the router but not to the internet.

Using the laptop, through the ethernet connection, i tried setting up the router using the CD Setup Wizard, everything works fine until one of the final steps where it attempts to "Connect to the Internet". The progress bar reaches 100% and then says that it is unable to connect to the internet, and to try powering off/on the modem. after doing this several times and retrying, it still says it is unable to connect to the internet.
    Eventually i exited out of the wizard as it just wouldn't work.

I then tried manually setting up the router through browser setup page, but after i enter the password, the page is incomplete and contains errors. eg. i can see text boxes, but no actual labels or links to click, and there's nothing in the dropdown menus. As such, i'm unable to see any information, let alone edit it. I've tried the manual setup using both Firefox and IE, and have tried restarting all the devices including the laptop, but it still gives an incomplete page.

I tried installing the USB adaptor that comes with the bundle, and it installs perfectly, but it is unable to "associate with the access point".
    The laptop's wireless is able to find and connect to a wireless network which it identifies as "linksys". This is the actual Router, as I've tried powering off the router, and trying to find wireless, but it cannot find any networks. As soon as the router is powered up again, the laptop finds a wireless network again. As such, it would appear that the Router is broadcasting a wireless network signal. However, when i try to use either Firefox or IE to access the web, it is unable to do so.

So basically at this point, my 2 problems are that:

The Laptop, using built-in wireless, can find the network, and connect to it, but is unable to connect to the internet using the browsers.

The USB adapter on the desktop PC is unable to "associate with the access point".

Does anyone have any ideas where exactly i might be going wrong? any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

What version of the router are you using? Version 5 is buggy as hell although your situation is different to the reported issues. If you have that try to get a different one from the point of purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The linksys support site is pretty good and has plenty of guides to help you get up and running.

Just make sure you can get the BB working directly between a PC and the Modem without the wireless router first...

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

How far can you ping with the laptop or tower on wired to the linksys? google for angry Ip scanner if you are unsure of IP address.

The linksys will be 192.168.1.1 for a start (i own one :-))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

nereid wrote:
    Just make sure you can get the BB working directly between a PC and the Modem without the wireless router first...

Good advice. Once your happy that modem is working ok, read this thread
    to see how to set up bridging between linksys and modem.

Remember to keep things simple, don't enable MAC filtering, WEP, WPA or any of that stuff until you get the basic setup working.

Also try upgrading the router to latest firmware. On the bottom of linksys it will tell you what version you have (there are 5 versions of the WRT54G as far as I know). So make sure u download the correct firmware version from linksys.com.

Hope this helps

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, the modem is working and connecting to the internet fine, i tried setting the modem to bridge mode, but i'm unable access the router's homepage as it's missing parts of the page as described before, i've enclosed a picture of the router's homepage when i access it, i'm unable to update the firmware as a result of this, or change any settings on the router...

wifirouterscreen4be.th.jpg

• Advertisement

ok try a factory reset of modem (usually done by holding reset button in for 10 secs) and if u still get borked web page then RMA the router....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

l got a canyon router with wireless
    did setup throught online setup page,did everything/got locked out,at moment connected throught enternet card straight from wireless connection

l got a canyon router with wireless
    did setup throught online setup page,did everything/got locked out,at moment connected throught enternet card straight from wireless connection

Sorry, but what's your question? How to get back into setup page?

irlrobins wrote:
    Sorry, but what's your question? How to get back into setup page?
    my question is =how can l get locked out from my connection after following each step and have you ever heard of canyon router which came with service
    would it be any better getting another router for wireless bb and what you recommend and easiest to setup and might pickup setting from pc auto wihout going throught setup page

my question is =how can l get locked out from my connection after following each step and have you ever heard of canyon router which came with service
    would it be any better getting another router for wireless bb and what you recommend and easiest to setup and might pickup setting from pc auto wihout going throught setup page

You will always have to configure the router to get it to work. Most will do it thru a webpage, some might have a program that will set up some of the basic details for you. But 9 times out of 10 you'll have to connect router to PC and configure it thru a browser.

I'd recommend anything from Linksys. I have WRT54G and it's great. Easy to setup and never crashes. I think OP was unfortunate in getting a borked one.

When you say locked out do u mean u can't acess the page or your login won't work?

• Advertisement

after it setup router throught setup web page,go to get to on web with explorer or firefox and get dreded white page/check your internet settings/tryed twice and locked both times

what ip address does your PC have after u've set router up?

192.168.1.1 if l remember right

the router is normally 192.168.1.1. But canyon could be different.

What model number is router?

just says wireless router canyon with 54mbs speed
    that the ip it says to use on setup website

will check the box when l get home
    have you ever heard of canyon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I have WRT54G. Easy to set up and always works. Yours sounds like a return.

will check the box when l get home
    have you ever heard of canyon

Should have model number on a sticker on the bottom of the router. If not look on canyon site and see if you can pick it out.

Heard of them, never used one of them. I stick to Linksys.

will check when get home from work tonite
    was supplyed by wireless bb provider

irlrobins wrote:
    ok try a factory reset of modem (usually done by holding reset button in for 10 secs) and if u still get borked web page then RMA the router....

yeah, it's still gone, i could do an easy setup process again after resetting it, but it still gives a "can't connect to internet message" and accessing the router's homepage is still a mess. thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

yeah, it's still gone, i could do an easy setup process again after resetting it, but it still gives a "can't connect to internet message" and accessing the router's homepage is still a mess. thanks for the help.

just to confirm: the page is borked on different PCs using different browsers?

irlrobins wrote:
    Should have model number on a sticker on the bottom of the router. If not look on canyon site and see if you can pick it out.

Heard of them, never used one of them. I stick to Linksys.
    THE canyon router model is CN-WF514

irlrobins wrote:
    just to confirm: the page is borked on different PCs using different browsers?

no, just on a single pc using 2 different browsers. i've 2 other pcs but neither have NIC cards. i've bought a linksys wireless NIC for one of the pcs, and a USB adapter for the other, but the router requires setting up using an ethernet cable, so can only be used on the single pc (laptop) that has one, i think. the usb adapter is installed but cannot connect to the router as it is "unable to connect to an access point".

no, just on a single pc using 2 different browsers. i've 2 other pcs but neither have NIC cards. i've bought a linksys wireless NIC for one of the pcs, and a USB adapter for the other, but the router requires setting up using an ethernet cable, so can only be used on the single pc (laptop) that has one, i think. the usb adapter is installed but cannot connect to the router as it is "unable to connect to an access point".

ok. If you could try router on a mates PC that might be a good idea before going thru the hassle of returning stuff to where u got it.

grand, i'll give that a shot, if it doesn't, i'll just return it to komplett. thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

From what your saying your connecting to the linksys via the in-built wi-fi on the laptop and using the usb wi-fi for the desk-top? Your then accessing the net via connecting the router to the modem?

If both the laptop and the desktop can find the router (the linksys) but canot then connect to the net then your problem is the connection between the modem and the linksys not your computers and the linksys.

Personally I'd check you have the correct cable connecting them - x-over and straight through confusion maybe? I know - but I have done it on a hub network and it drove me nuts that one comp couldn't connect cause I used a x-over instead of normal straight through connection...

Still it sounds to me as if the linksys/modem config is wrong not the computers. As you say - the computers are 'Finding' the linksys but not the internet - points at the problem being between the modem/linksys hook-up...

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Just on an offchance, recently bought a Linksys wrt54gx and found that the configuration pages were not usable under firefox. Despite it being a linux router, no mac or linux testing I guess. Flashing the updated routers bios from the German site sorted it out, but had to be done through MS internet explorer.

And btw, 1 vote against linksys routers. Had lots of wireless problems with that GX router, including smtp and web, ssl uploads that firmware didn't fix. The cheaper 3com officeconnect worked perfectly, in exactly the same setup.

Advertisement