Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting new break pads onto a MK 3 Golf

Options
  • 01-02-2006 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

The pads are worn on my MK3 golf so i was going to give it a shot at trying to fit new ones myself
    Is it difficult to replace them?
    I have replaced parts in cars before like the alternator,timing belt,fuel filter/pump oil changes and so on but never the pads
    Anyone know good sites with diagrams and instructions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

If you can handle fitting a timing belt then pads will be not a problem. I usually fit the bits you mentioned including brake pads on my car - but the timing belt is something I have never taken on - I'd imagine its a fairly big job.

Get yourself a Haynes manual for the car here
    http://www.haynes.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

HotRodDub wrote:
    If you can handle fitting a timing belt then pads will be not a problem. I usually fit the bits you mentioned including brake pads on my car - but the timing belt is something I have never taken on - I'd imagine its a fairly big job.

Get yourself a Haynes manual for the car here
    http://www.haynes.co.uk

Cheers,but i was hoping for something free

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Use axle stands, not a jack to hold the car up.

Be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's easy, but get he pads from GSF or Otto if possible as they supply OEM stuff and the pads will almost certainly come with the stretch bolts required on refitting the callipers. Spurious pads rarely come with the bolts and it means either refitting the old ones (not ideal) or going to VW for the bolts.

To do it is easy, there'll be a bolt(s) at the inside of the caliper, at the bottom of the calliper (usually on VWs it's a Hex key you'll need and there might be a long plastic tube containing the bolt so it might not be immediately obvious where it is. Undo this bolt and the caliper will swing up to allow the pads be withdrawn. Make sure you never put the flexible brake hose under strain when you move the callipers.

You'll need to push the pistons back into the callipers. Undo the brake fluid reservoir cap to make this a bit easier.

You can use a G-clamp to wind the piston back in, taking care to see that the rubber boots around the pistons go back properly (you'll see what I mean when you do it!). Some mechanics just use a large screwdriver to lever the pistons back but I wouldn't as they can go back in crooked, which is not good.

Make sure you keep an eye on the brake fluid reservoir as you push them back in in case someone topped the fluid up to near the top-it could spill out!

You should really bleed the brakes on this car, it may not have been done before. Ideally replace the fluid completely. A litre of brake fluid will be enough and only costs 8 or 9 quid.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As Henry said - use axle stands. A jack simply cannot be trusted.
    If you google for a bit you are bound to come across a few DIY sites that will guide you through the process.
    You will get the parts (pads & high temp grease really) cheap enough in the likes of GSF or OTTO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Cheers lads!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also just remember that when you have the caliper off, don't let it hang freeley or the weight can damage the line or connectors. Tie it to your spring or something if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

murphaph wrote:
    To do it is easy, there'll be a bolt(s) at the inside of the caliper, at the bottom of the calliper (usually on VWs it's a Hex key you'll need and there might be a long plastic tube containing the bolt so it might not be immediately obvious where it is. Undo this bolt and the caliper will swing up to allow the pads be withdrawn. Make sure you never put the flexible brake hose under strain when you move the callipers.

As far as I remember the Hex key is 7mm or something ~ whatever it is it's one which isn't always standard in sets that you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

el tel wrote:
    As far as I remember the Hex key is 7mm or something ~ whatever it is it's one which isn't always standard in sets that you buy.
    Isn't it always like that! They do it on purpose I'm sure :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Make sure you buy TEXTAR brakes. These are what VW fitted new to these cars. Only difference is lack of VW stamp (and price!!) If you dont get the bolts in the brake pad kit, they're only about 80c each from any dealer 8mmx50mm long 1.5mm pitch thread with a stepped shoulder. You will most likely have to replace these. I had to on a 98 polo i had.. Same brakes as MK3 golf.(Head wrung on one bolt as i was removing it) Its not a complex job though. An hour should easy do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement