Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ridiculous Insurance

Options
  • 01-02-2006 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

I'm 19,full licence, 1yearncb, picking up a new car on saturday, rang around and got a few quotes, some were double others! i got a quote from quinn direct's website that was cheaper than on the phone from quinn?! whats going on there?:mad:

I rang up just to confirm it and they said they will give me the insurance for the price i got online, saved myself 600euros!:D insurance in this country is a disgrace, they just seem to pick a random number..................................................................................
    .................................. and multiply it by 15.:eek:

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

dub_dan wrote:
    I'm 19,full licence, 1yearncb, picking up a new car on saturday, rang around and got a few quotes, some were double others! i got a quote from quinn direct's website that was cheaper than on the phone from quinn?! whats going on there?:mad:

I rang up just to confirm it and they said they will give me the insurance for the price i got online, saved myself 600euros!:D insurance in this country is a disgrace, they just seem to pick a random number..................................................................................
    .................................. and multiply it by 15.:eek:

Rant over.

Mine cost 1100 on a 1.2 punto i'm 21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Welcome to Ireland. Have you been here long? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya insurance it terrible for young fellas just because some are partly cause of accidents

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

spent a week ringing around and the worst i got was €4000 and the cheapest i got was €2900.

I have the feeling the 206 HDi frightened them, but tis paid for by working, so its no loss as such, i can do more work with a car, so it pays for itself literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Sorry dub_dan, but you are in a high-risk category. I've just found out that my fiancée's nephew, just 17, wants to buy a Toyota Glanza (a sporty version of a Starlet, still a piece of sh1t), when he was quoted over €3,000 TPFT. Now he says he's going to lie, and say its just a Starlet to get cheaper insurance.

Its little sh!theads like this around your age dub_dan that have kept insurances up. Its a treand - you grow testicles, want to show off to the ladies (that are stupid enough to follow), buy a hazardous car, wreck it or do something stupid, and claim for it.

Thanks for the insurance hikes.

Seanie.

PS. it does sound like I'm tarring you all with the same brush, though I know there are genuine nice young male drivers out there, but its the bad publicity that gets published - and thats what the insurance companies are also going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Yeah insurance is a disgrace, I was the same when i started driving at 21 it was 3200 then slowly dropped year by year but i needed my car so i hung in and paid it. When I hit 25 which also was around the same time I got my full licence it dropped to a decent price even when i changed to a 2L car it didn't cost that much at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

I can half understand the high premiums that young drivers have to pay, but my point was that i got quotes with a a very significant difference from the same company using the exact same details, i rang and used the net for the quotes, the online one was the cheaper of the two, they said they'd match it when i rang to confirm it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dub_dan wrote:
    I can half understand the high premiums that young drivers have to pay, but my point was that i got quotes with a a very significant difference from the same company using the exact same details, i rang and used the net for the quotes, the online one was the cheaper of the two, they said they'd match it when i rang to confirm it :)

Think its always cheaper on the net because of less running costs, what ya driving and how much did it cost to insure?
    Seanie M wrote:
    I've just found out that my fiancée's nephew, just 17, wants to buy a Toyota Glanza (a sporty version of a Starlet, still a piece of sh1t), when he was quoted over €3,000 TPFT. Now he says he's going to lie, and say its just a Starlet to get cheaper insurance.

By saying this he is not actually insured and in the event of a major crash he will not be able to claim and will be found to be driving without insurance.

I recommend you either give him a good beating till he see's sense or kill him before he kills someone driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

I'm getting a honda civic 1.4i srs 5door on saturday, 1770 was the quote i got online compared to 2300 over the phone, i think 1770 is a very good quote dont get me wrong. I just dont understand where the 600euro difference came from. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

dub_dan wrote:
    I'm getting a <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=23&amp;k=honda civic&quot; onmouseover="window.status='honda civic'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">honda civic</a> 1.4i srs 5door on saturday, 1770 was the quote i got online compared to 2300 over the phone, i think 1770 is a very good quote dont get me wrong. I just dont understand where the 600euro difference came from. :rolleyes:

Funny, looked like a FORD in your original post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Seanie M wrote:
    Sorry dub_dan, but you are in a high-risk category. I've just found out that my fiancée's nephew, just 17, wants to buy a Toyota Glanza (a sporty version of a Starlet, still a piece of sh1t), when he was quoted over €3,000 TPFT. Now he says he's going to lie, and say its just a Starlet to get cheaper insurance.

Its little sh!theads like this around your age dub_dan that have kept insurances up. Its a treand - you grow testicles, want to show off to the ladies (that are stupid enough to follow), buy a hazardous car, wreck it or do something stupid, and claim for it.

Thanks for the insurance hikes.

Seanie.

PS. it does sound like I'm tarring you all with the same brush, though I know there are genuine nice young male drivers out there, but its the bad publicity that gets published - and thats what the insurance companies are also going on.

He may pay for insurance, but he wont be insured. If he doesnt say its a Glanza and he has an accident he isnt covered. At All.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

nice car, i'm paying €1600 on a 1.4 focus, 22, male, full licence, 1 year ncb so €1770 is a very good quote

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I think insurance has gotten fairly reasonable...I'm only paying €1200, I'm 22 drivin a 1.4 with 1yrs NCB. The first year admittedly you get screwed but after that....my premium came down by over 50% this year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I'm paying €1900 on a 1.8 MX5 . I am 28yr old male but only driving 3 years. Is this good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

think it's about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I am paying 1k on a 03 Focus 1.8 TDCI 115 (comprehensive, 50% NCB, NCB protection, 23, full licence for years).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Insurance is a complete scam. They won't release figures to justify the costs, claim they make a loss then post a profit almost very year. Theres no insurance groups here like the UK, no consistency in how they quote.

Advertisement