Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Metallica Material?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Oh lord.
    I'm sorry Tommy. I'm sorry your favourite band are a sell out, corporate merchandising, money making franchise at this stage and you just cant admit it.
    Artistic integrity?? Metallica have been all about the $ since the black album. It stopped being about the music a LONG time ago.
    If they were really proud of thier new material, you think they would still play live sets of material from 20 years ago? Look at slayer. Thier new stuff is good, if not amazing, compared to reign in blood et al, but at thier last show here a good portion of the gig was material off god hates us all, they even opened the show with the title track from GHUA. Now imagine Metallica opening a gig in the RDS with 'invisible kid' or 'mama said'. The place would be empty after 5 minutes.
    Why?
    Because all thier new material is terrible, toadying to current musical trends. the 'load' era was pandering to stripped down grunge style rock, ST. Anger toadied to Nu - metal. The reason? $. Plain and simple.
    "What are the kids listening to nowadays Lars?"
    "Nu metal, James. We should do that, i need a new yacht"
    "Okay here ill just take a sh!t on my guitar for 50 minutes and well call it St. Anger, k?"
    "Fine let me know when its done, ill be in Hawaii"
    Its sad, because thier old material is a work of genius. But the only way you'll see good new material from metallica would involve some sort of voodoo ritual to raise cliff burton from the grave. You'll get new material all right, just dont expect it to be anything better than 'piss poor'.
    That was the most cynical attempt to look cool I've ever seen.
    the 'load' era was pandering to stripped down grunge style rock
    Yes, country and blues licks with an accompanying hurdy-gurdy are very "grunge" aren't they?
    ST. Anger toadied to Nu - metal.
    Sorry, but nine minute long songs full of maximum tempo double bass drumming and thrashy (albeit monotonous) riffs does not a nu metal song make.
    Now imagine Metallica opening a gig in the RDS with 'invisible kid' or 'mama said'. The place would be empty after 5 minutes.
    The gigs in the RDS were like "best of" gigs in which they played all the best material from all their albums.Come in half way through and you would have been just as likely to have heard "until it sleeps" or "fuel" as you would Master of Puppets.They wouldn't have played Mama Said or Invisible Kid, but like wise they wouldn't have played 'the thing that should not be' or 'shortest straw' would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

just like to say, im with fade_to_grey(that ryhmes):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

just like to say, im with fade_to_grey(that ryhmes):D

Thank you :D

Good point.Then the alum came out just after downtuned two note riffs and no solos went out of fashion, and consequently the album bombed (and rightly so in my opinion).I think their main problem is overthinking everything they put out and not playing out of pure passion anymore.The said thing is that it seems the reason why is because most of their passion seems to be gone.

I disagree. I'm not sure if you've seen Some Kind of Monster, or any older documentaries, but for the first time(that has been documented at least) they actually wrote mateial by jamming on stuff and sitting down afterwards to discuss what they thought of it, rather then the previous era where jamz and larz (z :rolleyes:) wrote the whole lot and then sat down and told Kirk and Jason what to play and when! Excluding solos of course, jamz couldn't write a solo to save his life! :rolleyes: Personally i think jamming on material during the writing process is more passionate than two members of the band writing everything and dictating to the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

well the band have been ****ting on their fans for quite some time in fairness
    Wow. What the hell does that even mean?

You can never please everyone. Recognise that fact and you'll recognise the foolishness of what you've just said.

So in order to not "shit on their fans", Metallica could either produce the thrashy 80's material so popular with the "true fans", or stick with the grungier, bluesier material that many 'Tallica "n00bs" seem to prefer.
    Either way, it's no-win situation; some section of their fanbase will feel alienated.

OR

Metallica could go with hidden option number C), and simply write and release whatever sounds good to their own ears - whatever that happens to be. At least that way they'll have done what they themselves thought best. "**** it all and no regrets" is the applicable phrase, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Gentlemen, enough of the bitch-slapping. Get this thread back on topic or it gets locked.

On that note, is there any word from any of the members as to what the new material will be like?

And what are the odds we get a bit of a Cunning Stunts job and actually witness a new song at the gig in June pre-release, a la Fuel before ReLoad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I don't think the band have said anything about it.

But I'd say the odds of us hearing something new are high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Karen Breytenbach of South Africa's The Star is reporting that a power cut stopped heavy metal legends METALLICA dead in their tracks 10 minutes into their set at their Cape Town concert on Saturday (March 25).

Baffled by the sudden silence of their instruments, the band's lead singer, James Hetfield, joked: "Who forgot to pay the electricity bill?", adding that the backstage excuse was that the equipment "could not handle metal."

The Western Cape has been plagued by power cuts in recent months, and the crowd waved their lighters until power was restored.

Big Concerts marketing and advertising executive Michael Anetakis said the reason for the outage was unclear, but it was probably due to one of the generators tripping.

The power cut wasn't the only problem experienced, with thousands of music fans also having to stand in long bar and food queues for hours in the baking sun at the Coca-Cola Colab Massive Mix concert at Green Point Stadium on Saturday, in a repeat of last week's chaotic scenes at the first concert of the tour in Centurion.

In the afternoon, beer-drinkers were told they could buy only two at a time, while Nando's started running out of supplies by 6:00 p.m.

Read more at www.thestar.co.za.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I don't think the band have said anything about it.

http://www.allmetallica.com/news.php?id=313

• Advertisement

They seem to have a bit of a mechanical attitude to writing music nowadays, thinking in terms of "People don't like no solos, okay, lets put in solos on the next album!!"Instead of doing what truly good musicians do and going by their gut and playing what feels right.That was my problem with St.Anger, they wrote songs mechanically by saying "O.K., we want longer songs, no solos and more aggression" and the album sounded awful, long songs that go around in circles with no arrangement apparent.The problem wasn't the lack of solos per se, just the inability to fill in the gaps where solos were usually present with any interesting musical ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlackSabbath

metallica is awesome. :cool:

They seem to have a bit of a mechanical attitude to writing music nowadays, thinking in terms of "People don't like no solos, okay, lets put in solos on the next album!!"Instead of doing what truly good musicians do and going by their gut and playing what feels right.That was my problem with St.Anger, they wrote songs mechanically by saying "O.K., we want longer songs, no solos and more aggression" and the album sounded awful, long songs that go around in circles with no arrangement apparent.The problem wasn't the lack of solos per se, just the inability to fill in the gaps where solos were usually present with any interesting musical ideas.

the problem with st.anger is it simply sucked. it was not metallica. metallica is awesome. bob rock sucks cocks.

That's a good point, and a great description of St.Anger.

I disagree. I'm not sure if you've seen Some Kind of Monster, or any older documentaries, but for the first time(that has been documented at least) they actually wrote mateial by jamming on stuff and sitting down afterwards to discuss what they thought of it, rather then the previous era where jamz and larz (z :rolleyes:) wrote the whole lot and then sat down and told Kirk and Jason what to play and when! Excluding solos of course, jamz couldn't write a solo to save his life! :rolleyes: Personally i think jamming on material during the writing process is more passionate than two members of the band writing everything and dictating to the others.
    I have seen St.Anger, but I still think they're writing style wasn't organic in the slightest, sure they jammed for a bit, but then they sat down and went through each bit of the song to weld in lyrics into it.At one point I actually heard the words "what rhymes with *insert word here*?", and things like practically making a concious decision to not include solos, or to write longer, more aggressive songs.It was all too thought out and not instinctive enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sheldonplank

Look at slayer. Thier new stuff is good, if not amazing, compared to reign in blood et al, but at thier last show here a good portion of the gig was material off god hates us all, they even opened the show with the title track from GHUA.

Sayer are great, but the TITLE track from GHUA????????????????
    But the only way you'll see good new material from metallica would involve some sort of voodoo ritual to raise cliff burton from the grave. You'll get new material all right, just dont expect it to be anything better than 'piss poor'.

Perhaps true but barring such a ritual, robert trujillo is still better than jason.

(and bob rock)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

(and bob rock)

jesus, i'm better then bob rock

bob rock is such a fag. he ruined metallica, one of the best metal acts to ever exist. talk about a band that influenced i don't know how many thrash bands and death bands because death metal comes from thrash metal. the only metal band better than metallica is black sabbath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I always wondered, what was Hetfield's stance on the no-solo's decision for St Anger? I don't remember him being there in that scene in the documentary...they weren't discussing it after 4 o'clock were they? :eek:
    I know Het likes his riffery, but I find it suprising that he'd embrace a pointless idea like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Consider his frame of mind though, did he look like a guy who was focused on writing great music or a guy who had issues to confront and didn't really want to be where he was?

I don't think the new album will be quite as bad as stanger but I still can't see it being a "great" album. All this ****e going on about Truillo, as if he ****s solid gold, and has never been a a part of a bag of piss CD, three words for you all: Suicidal For Life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Well if they do get their arse in gear and put out some new material lets hope they remember to put some solos in this time....really took away from the last album for me :-(

metallica is awesome. cool.gif
    the problem with st.anger is it simply sucked. it was not metallica. metallica is awesome. bob rock sucks cocks.

Some really mature points there from BlackSabbath, lets all listen to him... :rolleyes:

Regarding the last few points, Doctor J is on the money there, and not just Jamez was in a bad place, they all were. Lets not forget the Jason leaving, Napster killing, Lars nearly losing his wife, James drinking again stuff that all went on in the lead up to this album. You can't say that the whole reason this album is the way it sounds is due to them deciding to make it sound a certain way!

As for Rob Trujillo, though he may not have been part of something great yet, he is still a great bass player, and the other 3 all seem to idolize him, and have all compared him to cliff at some point. So in light of that I would wonder if maybe he will get a lot of hold over whats coming up on the next album, because of the influence cliff could have over them, even back in their thrash days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I dont like Rob, I dont think he adds to the band, I think that Jason should have pushed his material more so that he could have added to more then 2 songs over the space of 15 years. Hes a gifted player and he spent that time playing other peoples music.

I dont like Rob, I dont think he adds to the band, I think that Jason should have pushed his material more so that he could have added to more then 2 songs over the space of 15 years. Hes a gifted player and he spent that time playing other peoples music.

What's the basis for your idea that Rob doesn't add to the band? He hasn't had a chance yet...

As for Newstead, I don't think the likes of Echobrain would meld well with what Metallica play. And it was never documented that he had any material to push, or if he did that he wanted to present it to the others, so nobody really knows where he stood musically for 15 years except the other 3 guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Jason was just there as a backing musician, he was just the low end and nothing more. I'm surprised he didn't leave sooner, as for Rob, as has already been said, he hasn't had the chance to prove himself yet, he's impressive live, and hopefully will show his true colours in this new album.

the only problem with rob is that the way he plays, his back must be in a right mess

Why?? His back is straight when he's playing, he bends at the knees... Its actually quite comfortable, I've tried it!

Did anybody read the article on Metallica in the most recent issue of 'In Dublin'?

I wasn;t expecting much..I figured it would be the general crap of a mainstream journalist trying to describe something they don't like...but it was actually not hakf bad and gave a very good (kinda brief) summary of Metallica's career with all it's ups and downs.

Worth a look if it's sitting on the break room table.

Why?? His back is straight when he's playing, he bends at the knees... Its actually quite comfortable, I've tried it!

yeah it's straight bar the bottom of his spine. i have spine issues myself, i can't imagine being alive much longer if i did that every single day! :D

• Advertisement

just saw this
    METALLICA's Lars Ulrich has exclusively revealed to Kerrang! magazine that the band's new material has an "old-school" METALLICA flavor.

The metal legends are currently working on the follow-up to 2003's "St. Anger" in their own studio at METALLICA HQ in San Rafael, California.

"The last album was an unusual METALLICA album in that no one brought ideas into the studio. Everything you hear on that album was given birth to in the studio," the drummer notes. "This time around we've each brought in ideas as we used to — as well as working on some jams we had from from two summers ago — and James [Hetfield] and I are sorting through our CDs of riffs to put together stuff as we did back in the day.

"The new stuff is much more organic, more old school. It certainly doesn't feel like 'St. Anger' Part Two," Ulrich adds. "When we were rehearsing for our South African shows and started playing the 'St. Anger' stuff, it definitely felt very different to the rest of the set because of how the songs were put together. It was really important to make that record in the way we did because of the chaotic internal vibe at that time: 'St. Anger' was a statement, 55 minutes of brutality packed onto a CD, proving to ourselves that we still had the spark. 'St. Anger' was fun but we don't need to make that album again."

Ulrich says that the band have six or seven songs nearing completion, minus vocals and they are using producer Rick Rubin, famed for his work with RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, SYSTEM OF A DOWN and SLAYER, for the first time. This collaboration marks the end of the quartet's 15-year relationship with producer Bob Rock, but Ulrich insists the split was drama free.

"We had a great time with Bob," he admits. "But it seemed that after 15 years it was time to try some different things and get a different perspective. As you get older you get set in your ways and get very ****ing spoilt. It was important for as to not get stuck. Rick makes everything — he sees the big picture and has big ideas. It's working out great. We're excited hearing **** come together!"

METALLICA's as-yet-untitled album is expected in early 2007.

(Thanks: I Have A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Cowbell)

Advertisement