Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small ish Win2K Bootup Problem

• 01-02-2006 6:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I recently installed Win 2K Pro on old machine at home. The problem is that when it boots up it seems to be by default on the Win 2K Pro Setup option rather than just Win 2K Pro (this should preferably be highlighted or it should just run straight into 2K). After 5 seconds or whatever unless you intervene and tell it go for the standard Win2K option the machine will go for the setup option and look for the CD.

I can still get into 2K grand by selecting first non setup option but I'd like to get rid of that setup option or not make it the default option. Say you start the machine go grab a cup to tea and come back you'll find it looking for the CD. I'm hoping to get this sorted as I'm not always at home and the auld pair don't know much about computers so I'd rather not be getting phone calls wondering why the screen is blue.

Please don't tell my I'll have to wipe the fecker again to sort this out. I have the BIOS setup properly I think, been a few days since I've done it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Edit boot.ini carefully! (don't blame me if you feck your machine)

And you should see something like

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Change that to

default=<my partition info here>

Should do the trick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Right thanks, I'll see what I can do, been a while since I've messed with an .ini file.
    TimTim wrote:

Change that to

default=<my partition info here>

Should do the trick.

Sorry I'm not sure but do you mean I just put in those words or is something more techy involved such as C:\ blah blah rather than "my partition..."?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

When you open the file, all should become clear...
    You should have two entries... one for the OS and one for the Setup routine.
    It's just a matter of setting the other one as the default, or just removing the setup info altogether.

Advertisement