Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frames

Options
  • 01-02-2006 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

its me again. The story is that ive tired using frames but i cant get it working. Basically what i had was links on the left hand side and then i started to put txt in the center, every time i enter more txt an see the new changes all my links move further down the page. any help please. ive tried to do frames but its not working out for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Have a look at what I did with our fishing club's site on http://louthanglers.8k.com - no frames, all done by CSS.

And all set up in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

attach the webpage and ill have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

thanks mate. im in college now, think im finished at 5 or so so when i get home ill post it up here. thanks

haha, went home early, two of my lectures weren't in so i said im head home. the page is attached below. thanks again broken arrows. i was thinking just to put the links in a table or something jus like i did wit the txt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

bpmurray wrote:
    Have a look at what I did with our fishing club's site on http://louthanglers.8k.com - no frames, all done by CSS.

And all set up in about an hour.

Broken on Safari, btw.

• Advertisement

... and can't see anything that remotely indicates frames. Anyway, I won't do your homework for you, but you should think again if you're using tables.

You have two tables that are unconnected and then you have a gob of stuff that's just lying around.

Sit down with a pencil and paper and DESIGN the page before yo program it. Draw boxes around the sections - you'll end up with something like a broad box across the top with the title, a vertical box on the left with the links and a big box in the rest in which you have your text. So that's really a 2 x 2 table, where the top two cells are merged (see colspan=).

This description is, of course, for a very simple layout: you can make it much more complex if you wish. However, play around with the table, experimenting with colspan and widths (try ="100%") until you're satisfied you can see how it works.

Now you're ready to add your content. It's actually totally absurdly easy once you grasp the above.

Oh - just to get into good habits, use lowercase names for the tags and attribute names - this is required for XHTML.

rsynnott wrote:
    Broken on Safari, btw.

Don't have a Mac - can you let me know what's broken on which version, please: I'm not being facetious, I really would appreciate the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

bpmurray wrote:
    Don't have a Mac - can you let me know what's broken on which version, please: I'm not being facetious, I really would appreciate the info.

I'll take a screenshot later. If you have access to a linux computer, Konqueror should show the same problems; it has a very similar rendering engine. I'd assume both versions. Things are all over the place on the page.

hey guys, ya i did what you said and it helped me alot. I got it working in the end. i deleted everything an just restarted. thanks for all the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 liamsquire

Nice one. Frames are outdated and I avoid them at all costs. I would still imagine that many universities and colleges are still teaching them - and thats a complete waste of time in my opinion. CSS is the way to go! :D

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    I'll take a screenshot later. If you have access to a linux computer, Konqueror should show the same problems; it has a very similar rendering engine. I'd assume both versions. Things are all over the place on the page.

Duh! Of course - I completely forgot that Safari is really Konqueror. Thx for the pointer. All I have to do is getaround to rebooting.

Advertisement