Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Bluetooth head unit would you buy?

Options
  • 01-02-2006 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

There are very few bluetooth head units on the market: you know the type, sit into your car with your bluetooth enabled mobile phone in your pocket, make and receive calls through your audio head unit and speakers without ever having to take the phone out - the bluetooth head unit does it all by automatically pairing with your phone every time you hop in your car.:cool:
    So what are the choices?
    So far, through many endless hours of research on the web :confused: I've narrowed down to these 4 (in order of what I think is superior):
    Pioneer DEH-P70BT
    Parrot Rhythm N Blue
    Ministry of Sound MOSCA061
    Maplin Bluetooth CD MP3 Car Stereo
    The best of these without a doubt appears to be the Pioneer.
    What do you think? Have you installed any of these in your car? Have you discovered something better? What has your experience been? Have you managed to source an amazing but worthy bargain?
    Let me know, I'd love to hear from you before I go splashing out.
    Thanks! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've used a bluetooth car kit before and it wasn't hectic tbh. The microphone was the issue. I could hear the other person fine but not vice versa.

I change cars relatively quickly so have been using a bluetooth headset for a while now. Mine's a Sony Ericsson of some sort. It's very good.

I hear (no pun) Jabra make some good ones. BT300 is the latest I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wouldn't it make sense just to buy a bluetooth phone kit, (Motorola do an excellent one) most will have an output that can be wired into your cars headunit to mute when you're using it.

That way you have more freedom over what headunit you buy,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have a Becker unit, think it's the 7945. I'm delighted with it. Looks a lot less cheapo than the others, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Johnnyraz

I got the MR Handsfree as a present for christmas and I find it excellent .The sound quality is great also .This would be a cheap alternative .

http://www.mrhandsfree.com/?p=bvp&gr=5&l=en

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Johnnyraz

Sorry just re-read the post I realised it was a head unit you were looking for .
    My apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've seen the parrot unit in action - excellent.

Here's a link to the Becker website, it's the 7945.
    http://www.becker.de/beckerCC21/www_root/index.jsp?language=En

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

gotta love how simple Becker make their headunits,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

the becker unit looks the best. any prices?

I paid E1,000 on eBay last year, could well be cheaper now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have the pioneer,
    Tis a lovley unit
    going for around €650 here in the shops
    I got mine fro aroung €380 on the net
    installed it myself, pretty simple tbh
    The bluetooth is grand, sometimes people cant hear me too well
    Just have to speak up a tad
    but overall I'm very happy

Apart from the bluetooth the stereo is pretty top notch
    plenty of pre-outs for subs speakers etc

and it looks cool too with the blue buttons/background

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ha ha, love the sig mik_da_man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

agree with Mik , I have the Pioneer unit and it's great.

I changed phone though (from Nokia 6310i to Motorola Razr) and because of the way Motorola have the bluetooth on the Razr setup I have to manually connect to the head unit everytime. The Nokia allowed me to leave the bluetooth 'visibility' always on and it woudl auto-connect.

I'm hoping for a mod to become available for the Razr that will allow me to leave it always discoverable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO the problem with Bluetooth is that if you leave it on all the time it really drains your phone battery (on my wifes Motorola anyway). And if you keep turning it on and off all the time when you get in and out of the car then its inconveniant and there's really no point in having it.

I have a K750i and use it with my headunit
    I have bluetooth on always and the battery life is fine
    although I have always have bluetooth on I dont really know what the difference would be if it was off all the time;)

Really handy to be able to load the whole phone book onto the headunit and see who's calling ya on the display

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Thanks for the replies, folks. I've finally opted for the Pioneer BT. Went to the new Halfords in Limerick who were asking 600E :eek: and to the car accessory shop in Castletroy who wanted 500E :( but finally got it from Pixmania on the web for 400E + 13E delivery :)
    I should have it in a few days and I'll post back when it's installed.
    I too have had the bluetooth permanently on on my Nokia 6680 and have not noticed any extra battery drain so I don't think it will be a problem for me either.
    Now, just waiting for delivery...:D

Tis a great unit all right
    the only thing ya should need presuming you have an ISO connection
    is an aerial adaptor
    well that's all i needed
    about €3 from a local motor factors

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Finally got delivery and have it installed. So far everything working beautifully with great sound etc. Only problem is transferring my contacts from my Nokia 6680. radio is connected to the nokia and set to receive transfer of data but when I try to send from the phone the bluetooth connection disconnects. What am I doing wrong? Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Hi,

Just checking around the net & i can buy a becker bluetooth unit in germanay for €340. As fas as i can make out its supports bluetooth 1.0. My phone, a nokia 6600 has version 1.1 on it. I presume therefore that my mobile will be compatible?

Thanks

Advertisement