Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English mock help

Options
  • 01-02-2006 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

im screwed in english as ive done 0 study. any1 know whats on it so i could possibly scrape a D ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

well some mock papers are different but longley, and bishop came up on mine, a man more sinned against than sinning / love is a redemptive force for lear and cultural context / theme and issue for comparitive.
    dont rely on that though-you prob have different papers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cdak68

For me the theme of paper 1 was "identities" and it was easy. I don't know if this is the paper 1 of Azureus' exam, though. (I wouldn't mind knowing myself ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Azureus wrote:
    well some mock papers are different but longley, and bishop came up on mine, a man more sinned against than sinning / love is a redemptive force for lear and cultural context / theme and issue for comparitive.
    dont rely on that though-you prob have different papers!
    I've heard this is what's on a number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SirCretop

thanks azureus. lotta help :) . u know what question was on bishop exactly? and also were u given a theme/issue to discuss in compartive or cud u pick any1 urself? heard in school today that the character of lear could be on paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

yeah im getting theme and issues on comparitive....king lears character or gonerils and regans character for the lear question so im guessing i mite have the same one as azureas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

SirCretop wrote:
    thanks azureus. lotta help :) . u know what question was on bishop exactly? and also were u given a theme/issue to discuss in compartive or cud u pick any1 urself? heard in school today that the character of lear could be on paper?
    They always let you pick your own theme and issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

i got got the theme of identity

paer 2: if its d same poetry is bishop,hopkins,dunne and some one else!!

king lear is a question on vision

and in the comparative its theme and issue

yep the identity one was mine too-but the lear question was what i said above. bishop question was just a personal response (i enjoyed or did not enjoy the poetry of...)

paper 2 was very broad. bishop, longley (introduce to 5th years...), hopkins and donne came up in poetry. Lear was as Azureus said above and cultural context also was on there too.

wat was the question on longley? were the essay titles tough as i is shiz at writin them.

• Advertisement

longley question was just a talk introducing his poetry to fifth years, personal response basically- a pretty general one lucikly !!
    i cant remember many of the essay titles, the speech on 'we are what we wear' is what i ended up doing, i think there was one on thre joys of being a teenager, something on the importance of sport and languages in school and an article on the fast pace of life.

the short story options were :

1 - "the gnawing feeling of lacking something..." write a story suggested by these words.

2 - write a story suggested by one of the images blah blah blah. the pictures were of sportspeople (hurlers, women soccer players, Brian O'Driscoll, a Chinese olympic winner, Dublin football fans and Tommie Smith and John Carlos making their black power protest in the 68 Olympics).

Hope this helps. Now if only I had a clue what's coming up in the Irish papers. I'm "i bponc" with that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭belinea06

what was the unseen poem about?

whats the difference between a short story and a narrative???

whats the difference between a short story and a narrative???

there's really little actual difference. I would say that a short story must be completely self-contained, while a narrative is broader in scope. Any piece of creative writing (fiction, short story, autobiographical, etc) qualifies as a narrative I would think.
    what was the unseen poem about?

mine was a short poem about the difference between what we feel and what we're supposed to. This guy was ashamed that when his father died he realised the death of a loved one had its uses. It was very easy to interpret anyway.

what was on the B parts of the reading comprehension?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

belinea06 wrote:
    what was on the B parts of the reading comprehension?

My sources tell me it's something about "your favourite place"

thanks, helps loadss!

what essays came up? i know the short stories already. it would help alot cause ive my exam 2moro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

had my paper one today, the comprehensions on mine were about boxing, live8 and humour. the essays were quite hard, i picked a short story from the images instead. the images were all humour orientated.

• Advertisement

what were the b parts of the comprehensions? what were some essay titles?

i cant remember part b of the boxing comprehension but the live8 one was a letter to bob geldof or bono. the essay titles were sentences picked from the comprehensions and they were either a speech or an article, i cant recall them but they sounded hard.

thanks. was the theme of paper 1 'identities' and the pictures of brian o driscol and dublin fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

belinea06 wrote:
    what essays came up? i know the short stories already. it would help alot cause ive my exam 2moro

"they are sons of impoverished ghetto neighbourhoods" (boxers from the texts)

"they are a generation wearing their conscience on their sleeves" (wristband story from the text)

"humour is a powerful social lubricant - and much cheaper than alcohol" (this is a speech to your classm8s)

belinea06 wrote:
    thanks. was the theme of paper 1 'identities' and the pictures of brian o driscol and dublin fans?

no!! it was 'motivation'

smemon wrote:
    "they are sons of impoverished ghetto neighbourhoods" (boxers from the texts)

"they are a generation wearing their conscience on their sleeves" (wristband story from the text)

"humour is a powerful social lubricant - and much cheaper than alcohol" (this is a speech to your classm8s)
    what he/she said :P

willowmegs wrote:
    what he/she said :P

he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Shards

what poets came up on paper 2? what were the Lear essays? please help i have the exams tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I got motivation aswell!
    So whoever did'nt get there pre yet, im guessing your either gonna get identities or motivation!
    I thought the motivation 1 was handy enough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Shards wrote:
    what poets came up on paper 2? what were the Lear essays? please help i have the exams tomorrow

donne, bishop, longley and hardy

evil is fascinating(or something like that) and the theme of blindness is central to the play

Advertisement