Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English mock help

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭belinea06

i got the motivation paper 1. anyone know the exact qs to lear in paper 2 and what comparatives and poetry came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

belinea06 wrote:
    i got the motivation paper 1. anyone know the exact qs to lear in paper 2 and what comparatives and poetry came up?

yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

belinea06 wrote:

look above.....

and the comparatives were theme and literary genre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Theme of love... Thanks! Gotta go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Christine 89

Azureus wrote:
    well some mock papers are different but longley, and bishop came up on mine, a man more sinned against than sinning / love is a redemptive force for lear and cultural context / theme and issue for comparitive.
    dont rely on that though-you prob have different papers!

Just wonderin if this is the higher or ordinary level paper you are talking about??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 InspectorGadget

could any1 tell me wat type of question was asked about Donne,i assume it was something 2 do with his use of imagery?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

[COLOR="Magenta"]hey. can ne1 help me!! my mocks are startin monday. wondering ig any1 knows what the higher biology and chemistry were like and have ye any hints...

ne1 know what the pass irish was like.. what were the sceals the poems and can ye remember what the letters were? what was pass french like?

please please i wud be over d moon if ne1 cud help

xx :) [/COLOR]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

ne1 know what the pass irish was like.. what were the sceals the poems and can ye remember what the letters were?

I honestly can't remember anything on irish. It's actually so easy for me that I just go in unprepared, speed through it and then leave and forget everything that just happened. Gets me an A or high B every time. Sorry I can't help :P

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

pleaz help! iv e got my enlish mock 2MORO!!! wat came up in king lear in any of d mock papers????:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

sash wrote:
    pleaz help! iv e got my enlish mock 2MORO!!! wat came up in king lear in any of d mock papers????:eek:

The only question I remember on Lear is "the theme of blindness is central to the play king lear" or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 InspectorGadget

Does any1 know wat type of questions came up on the comparison questions and was it theme,genre or cultural context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Amazing

Does any1 know wat type of questions came up on the comparison questions and was it theme,genre or cultural context?

In our paper, we got theme or issue and cultural context.

The theme/issue question was fairly broad but i found the cultural context question was harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Did anybody not get Bishop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Gazza22 wrote:
    Did anybody not get Bishop?

She's on the same paper as the theme of Blindness in Lear.

Edit: Oh, not get. Note to self: See better (Lear) :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rotten_eggz

I didnt have time to read any of the previous post in this thread so if im repeating sorry!

Pre Paper 1(Version A):

Section 1:

A) Comprehension on boxing
    B) "Yet this world conceived in anger- and in hatred and in hunger" Thought for the day on radio statement Write script

A) Comprehension on Bob geldof/Bono
    B)Letter to bono/bob geldof responding to his 3rd world efforts

A)Comprehension on humour
    B) Write a review of a sitcom or humourous book

Section 2:

1) Article on racism and sport
    2)Response to author of text 1
    3)Speech on poverty and derprevation
    4)Personal response to "They are a generation wearing their conscience on their sleeves"
    5) Persuasive article for yng adult readers re: the need for good role models for yng ppl
    6)Speech on the importance of humor
    7) Short story prompted by images in txt 3

Pre paper 2:

King Lear questions:

"the depiction of evil in king lear fascinates but also horrifies the reader" Discuss

or

"the theme of blindness is central to the play King Lear" discuss

Section 2:

Theme/Issue

or

Cultural Context

Section 3:

Wallking away by C Day Lewis herehttp://www.enitharmon.co.uk/books/viewbook.asp?BID=180

Section 4:

Poets:

Thomas Hardy
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Michael Longley
    John Donne

Pre paper 1 (Version B):

Section 1:

A)Comprehension on Cockle Cove community, USA
    B) Write short radio talk about your home/town/parish

A)Comprehension on The Irish Language
    B)Letter to the editor of a newspaper re: sporting, educational or political contreversy about which you have strong feelings

A)Comprehension on General Sport
    B)Three diary entries on a day in the life of one the people in the pictures beside the sport comprehension (Brian O Driscoll, intercounty hurlers, Ladies soccer, chinese olympic winner)

Section 2:

1) Personal essay on your teens joys/tribulations
    2) Newspaper artivle on the fast pace of life today
    3) Lacking something... Essay
    4) Speech: We are what we wear
    5) Personal essay on the problems of the world
    6) Speech on of importance of sport/language in skul
    7) Write short story inspired by images in txt 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rotten_eggz

Ok i dnt have the paper for this but i have the gist!

Pre paper 2(version B)

Section 1:

King Lear a man more sinned against than sinning- Discuss

Section 2:

Poets:

John Donne
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Wb Yeats
    Michael Longley

Section 3:

Tragic poem

Section 4:

Cultural Context
    Theme/Issue

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

Azureus wrote:
    well some mock papers are different but longley, and bishop came up on mine, a man more sinned against than sinning / love is a redemptive force for lear and cultural context / theme and issue for comparitive.
    dont rely on that though-you prob have different papers!

That came up on mine too, Hopkins is another poet on it. I had my english exams on Monday and Tuesday. Essay titles i got were:
    1.Personal essay on the joys and tribulations of being a teenager
    2.Article for a serious newspaper or journal in which you draw attention to
    the fast pace of life today
    3.Short story suggested by "the gnawing feeling of lacking something"
    4.Persuasive sppech on issue "we are what we wear"
    5.Personal essay outlining your views of the problem(s) of the modern world
    6.Talk to your class on the importance of sport/languages in the school
    curriculum
    7. Short story suggested by the images (They were of sports people)

Hope this helps. Good Luck with your exams!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TX123

anyone any idea of what the john donne question was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

TX123 wrote:
    anyone any idea of what the john donne question was?
    "There are many reasons why John Donne still appeals to a modern audience"

In response to the above statement, write an essay on the poetry of John Donne. Your essay should focus clearly on the appeal of Donne's poetry to a modern audience and should refer to the poetry on your course

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

dnt worry. my paper 1 was -> a comprehension on where the sun always shins. twas bout a woman who returns to d place she grew up. then a compreh on listening 2d sound of who we are. twas bout the irish language and the way its dying.. then pictures on sports people..-> ladies soccer. hurling, dub fans, victory protest, chinese olympic winner and brian o driscoll.
    essays were.
    * when iwas in my teens
    *none of us has d time..-> article for serious paper
    *the gnawing feelinf of lacking something.. short story.. i did this
    *there is an attitude and way of expressing urself. speech
    *where is its place in society.. speech 2 class bout importance of languages/ sport..

paper 2

i did king lear.. man more sinned against than sinning. other was love is a redemptive force..
    unseen poem was grand.. longley.. ur giving a talk to 5th year students on poetry of him..
    bishop.. enjoyed/ didnt enjoy.. donne.. there are many reasons why he still appeals to modern audience. write an essay to respond 2 this..
    gud luck

• Advertisement

thanks a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

My pres start with english on tuesday. I cant wait to have them finished, I hate having them so late. Cheers for all the tips though, thanks. :)

anyone no the john donne question on the other paper ( the one with the theme of blindness for lear) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

All who haven't had pre's yet......

Be wary of the third English Pre (Hons), it's themed "Heroism" and tougher than the others. Although most schools seem to be staying away fromt his paper.

Gazza22 wrote:
    All who haven't had pre's yet......

Be wary of the third English Pre (Hons), it's themed "Heroism" and tougher than the others. Although most schools seem to be staying away fromt his paper.

Glad I didnt get that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I just like to thank you guys for telling me what was coming up.. i got the Lear question by the way with Bishop and Longley.. without your help.. i would have failed for sure... so thank you all!!

Dean820 wrote:
    I just like to thank you guys for telling me what was coming up.. i got the Lear question by the way with Bishop and Longley.. without your help.. i would have failed for sure... so thank you all!!

Hurray for boards!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

*Dean puts on party hat*

Advertisement