Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbous

Options
  • 01-02-2006 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

My neighbors have been making noise since approx 8:15 this morning - hammering, sawing, drilling etc. At what time are the noisy bastids supposed to stop?! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Is this a regular problem or is today the first day it has happened. If it is the first day you might be a small bit unreasonable in getting pissed off so quickly. They are obviously doing some Home Improvements give them a chance. If it carries on for a week or so call in and have a chat

Although maybe they should have let you know in advance.But it doesnt sound like you are too friendly with them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

its been going on since the start of October until 6 or so, in the last 2 weeks it's been going on till about 10:30 - thats why we're not to friendly with them at this stage :D. I'll be investing in some soundproofing come payday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

people usually stick to working hours for noisy jobs if there's neighbours around out of courtesy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Unless they are carrying out the work during unsocial hours you can be told to f-off (no offence) but give them a break, everyone needs to have home improvements done every now and again, it might happens you someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

Seems I'm a baddie/noisy neighbour...

Doing my kitchen and need to get some electrical work done so chased the walls yesterday afternoon. The sparky phoned today to say he may be able to come for the first fix tomorrow afternoon if the job he's at in the morning finishes up early (and he expects it will as there are a few of them at it). He was originally to come next Wednesday evening.

I'm not finished with the kango-ing yet though. Since I couldn't work on it today, I decided to do 45 mins-1 hour on it this evening (to set me up well for getting finished before the sparky comes - if he's coming tomorrow).

I didn't believe that I was hammer drilling at an unreasonable hour but did plan on finishing up by 7:30pm out of general decency. At 7:10pm I heard some knocking next door and thought it was coincidental (i.e. someone else doing a bit of DIY) so I kept going for another 5-10 minutes. Again when I stopped, I heard a bit of knocking so the "shut up!" message was taken andn I stopped.

I had a bit of a run in with the neighbour on one side a year and a half ago - my brothers were up plumbing in my bathroom and were at it very late one night (they lost track of time - they're used to making noise on the farm til all hours without anyone hearing so the concept of a mid-terrace house in the big smoke is a bit alien!!). Fair enough though in that case, I stick my hand up and accept full responsibility for thoughtlessness there - I went in to apologise a couple of days later. The neighbour was very good about it - ya know "if that's all you've to be worrying about then you've nothing to be worrying about" - and we've had no problems since - very cordial.

The knocking this evening may have come from the other side - I couldn't tell for sure - if so it does surprise me though as they're very nice to me generally. Neither house has kids but maybe there's some babysitting going on ??

Anyway, 2 questions...
    • What time can I start in the morning (need to finish hammer drilling in the morning if sparky coming after lunch)? Is 9:30am reasonable?
    • What time can I go on til in the evening? If sparky doesn't come tomorrow he'll be coming Wednesday evening & there were a few bits I couldn't do due to proximity to live wires so will have to be done when he's here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tcs wrote:
    Anyway, 2 questions...
    • What time can I start in the morning (need to finish hammer drilling in the morning if sparky coming after lunch)? Is 9:30am reasonable?
    • What time can I go on til in the evening? If sparky doesn't come tomorrow he'll be coming Wednesday evening & there were a few bits I couldn't do due to proximity to live wires so will have to be done when he's here
    I think you can start before 9:30, if you paid someone to do it they would probably start around 8:30/9am
    Though they will also probably stop at around 5:30/6pm.

My neighbours dont want me making noise before 2pm on a Saturday or at all on a Sunday...try renovating a house under those conditions...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I dont think alot can be done if its renovation work during normal hours. It would be different if it was loud music or shouting all hours of the night.
    Give them a break or as a gesture offer them a hand, might be finished earlier than expected and you would never know when you need a favour, house watched while on hols, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Hey tk123,
    I had the same problem year or two ago which went on for a couple of months ... I tried all the nice approaches but it still went on ... In the end I rang department of noise pollution and as far as I can remember work can be carried out between 07:00 - 18:00 Mon to Fri. , 07:00 - 13:00 Sat and none allowed on Sun. ... Would not be 100% but it might be a good idea to ring them and tell them yur situation and what the next step would be if it carries on ...
    Best of luck ...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

I rang them ... They gave me times etc ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement