Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electronic gurus!

• 01-02-2006 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

hi folks

have a situation here where i want to run a antenna control board and an antenna rotator outdoors.
    the rotator is 220volts@ .5Aish and the control board is 12v dc @ 200mA

what is the most convenient way to do this with an inverter?
    use a car battery? i cant hook the battery to the control board as it would fry it, any ideas out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

From what you're saying I'd have thought that you could just get a car battery and an inverter, use the inverter to power the 220v rotator and connect the 12V control board directly to the 12V battery.
    Why do you say the battery would fry the control board?

This would be easier still if you had access to a 220V mains supply but I take it that this is a remote or portable rig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Would an old pc power supply do the trick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Chuckle just gave a mate a laptop and a 12v battery he got an inverter from Maplins for like 35 quid - makes a bit noise though:D
    Small world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

presuming you want portability, as said before,...

you could use an inverter from a car battery to run the "rotator",

but depending on the power requirements of the control board you would prob need a regulated power supply to run from the battery. this is of course only if it hasen't alkready been designed to run of a car battery.

when fully charged a car battery can given up to 16V, and as it drains this will drop below 12V, so most stuff designed for cars can tolerate large voltage variences

Advertisement