Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

turnin 16 tomorrow moped time

• 01-02-2006 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Im gonna get one myself when i turn 16... just wondering do ya need a licence??? and what are the restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Im gonna get one myself when i turn 16... just wondering do ya need a licence??? and what are the restrictions?

Yes, you will need a category M licence - restricted to 50cc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Axa or aon, the only ppl who might insure you as a young driver.

d/l the driving liscence app form here, it tells you what you need
    Catergory M is restricted to mopeds smaller than 50cc, A1 is for bikes and scooters smaller than 125cc.

(loads of money is also a requirement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Litcagral wrote:
    Yes, you will need a category M licence. AFAIK restricted to 50cc.

If you are aged 17 or over you may apply for a category B licence which automatically covers you on category M and W.

Wrong information to be giving him.
    Full B will cover M and W. Provisional will not.J ust to say get a B licence is insufficient .

@Nismo: Insurance: AON and carole nash.

Get both a provisional A1 (125cc motorbikes) and provisional M (50cc moped). That way you can move on to 125 bike after you get tired of scooter, which you probably will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

do you have a hair dryer at home, do you need a licence for that:D .....sorry couldnt help it.... yeah get yourself a cat. M licence, you are limited to AON and CN for insurance... and get some decent gear, to many times i see people on mopeds with a helmet as their only protection, its gonna hurt the same comming of a moped at 40 mph as it is comming of a sports bike at that speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

at 16 i had a moped with AON and it was €1600, so expect major money to leave you or your parents pockets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Do you hear those people laughing? Yes that's right, it's the people in Aon cos they know you are coming!!!! It's going to cost you a small fortune to get insured i'm afraid to say. Carole nash won't insure you cos you don't have any experience. Axa don't do their own policies, they under-write Aon, you have to go through Aon to get insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

do you have a hair dryer at home, do you need a licence for that:D .....sorry couldnt help it.... yeah get yourself a cat. M licence, you are limited to AON and CN for insurance... and get some decent gear, to many times i see people on mopeds with a helmet as their only protection, its gonna hurt the same comming of a moped at 40 mph as it is comming of a sports bike at that speed
    Too right it does.
    Just came off my NSR there tonight.
    I was just pulling off and turning at the same time. Gave it a bit too much throttle and it just went haywire -> me lying on my left side with bike about 5 feet in front of me.. kinda did a wobbly wheelie I think.
    Just happened to be wearing a tracksuit bottoms with very thin material, needless to say they are in shreds now, and my knee is fairly gashed and bloody etc.
    Good thing I had my jacket on or I'd say my shoulder would be fcked too.
    Shoulder of jacket has a nice tear in it.. goes right down to the padding too.

Moral of the story.. a 5mph spill WILL hurt, no matter what..

I think I'll buy some proper pants :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

[QUOTE=dawballz[
    I think I'll buy some proper pants :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Jeez hope you recover! Lesson learned. Hopefully some other folk will also learn a valuable lesson from this too.

It just is a habit you have to get into, put on all the gear even if you are just going round to the shops! Doesn't seem worth the hassle until you have a spill and then you will be thankful.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

dawballz wrote:
    I think I'll buy some proper pants :rolleyes:

Shouldn't you have thought of that before you even got on your bike??:confused: I have never understood why someone would get onto a bike without proper gear, that was my first purchase as soon as I went to get a bike.
    Anyways putting that all aside I'm glad your ok, memories of falling in the school yard as a kid and scratching my knee through tracksuit bottoms....and that was at 5mph or so!!..so you have come out of it on the right side!!:)

NiSmO, Insurance will be high and since Aon Bike Care are the only insurance company that will insure you you are "slightly" limited in your choices. I have never seen a person on a moped with full protective gear. I've seen tracksuits, work suits, skirts, runners, shoes, sandles. If your inclined to wear runners/sandles on the bike then your making a serious mistake, there have been many reported accidents involving someone wearing runners on their bike-foot was one side of the road, the new amputee was on the other. If you are going to get onto a moped treat it like you would any other motorbike...get the best gear that you can afford...even if its not "cool" to wear an armored jacket and trousers. Above all get a good helmet...aim to spend in the region of €300 for a good one. Afterall it only takes one crash and if your wearing a cheap helmet you can end up seriously injured, if not dead. As the veterans would say: how much do you value your head, buy a helmet to match and protect it.

There's no need to hide the fact that safety is your first priority, plus I like being blunt about these things.

Take care and enjoy the road!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

all this talk of new gear
    just got me a new pair of these

http://www.sidi.it/eng/motorcycle/art_d.asp?ATp_ID=M04&Art_ID=MMFLEXFOR#

although i think it will hurt my bank balance more than falling off a bike :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Yeah its really not fair that someone our ages will have to fork out that much! i mean it takes alot for me to earn that much! few questions

1. Can i apply for the test at 15?
    2. what will i need to study?
    3. will i just need to take a theory or will i be taking a driving test???

lol i know, i know... i know nothing about it ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yeah its really not fair that someone our ages will have to fork out that much! i mean it takes alot for me to earn that much! few questions

1. Can i apply for the test at 15?
    2. what will i need to study?
    3. will i just need to take a theory or will i be taking a driving test???

lol i know, i know... i know nothing about it ! :)

Get lessons from a school or from a private instructor. I don't think you're the guy from Leitrim but I know a man in Longford who trained me and he trains the Gardai how to ride bikes and stay safe.

I would suggest you get to grips with the bike, get a feel for it, before even considering to sit your test. Motorcycle testers are really harsh on you because they know that you will not get a second chance should you make a mistake, you will end up seriously hurt or dead.

Plan to apply for your test after about 1 month on the road. If need be, you could even ask for a letter from your job stating you need it for transport and you should'nt have to wait that long (plan around 6 months). Time is your enemy here, wait too long and you get a second year premium thats high and wait to short and you'll fail your test..

To get a license you need to sit the theory test, so that is what you will be "studying" first. After you sit yourself onto the bike and get going you'll need to learn how to study the road and the environment to make sure you get from A-B in one peice.

As far as i know, you cannot apply for the Full License until you have a provisional :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

When Hibernian did the Insurance for me in Longford at 16 with a provisional (which was 2 years ago mind), i was paying 835 euro for TPO.

Fully comp is just not an option when you're a young driver with a provisional..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Nice boots. Picked up swift boots for €20 from cotters because they where missing a toe slider.

I was knocked off the bike over the summer at around 80kmph and slide along the road for quite a distance. I hoped up with a few bruises and a busted bike. The gear I was wearing did the job but was pretty shagged after it. The knee of my pants was in bits. I don't think I'd be walking right now without wearing them as I probably would have had a mangled knee. Also the gloves had ripped through the leather on the palm. I replaced the cordura armoured gear with racing leathers(I do motorway driving the cordura was knackered at 80kmph never mind 120kmph). I now look like an idiot power ranger but it looks better than skin grafts.

MORAL: If i come off at 5mph I look like an idiot powerranger wannabe. If you come off at 5mph you look like a crash victim.

Sorry to preach....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You can do the theory test now of course and have it ready for your 16th birthday when you can apply for your provisional. A category M provisional is a waste of time, just apply for category A1. Personally I would get some lessons but I wouldn't bother with a test on a 2 wheeled vehicle until I was able to do the category A test when you're 18. You could do car lessons and apply for a car test when you're 17, which will automatically qualify you to drive scooters <50cc as a fully licenced rider. I just don't see the point in the A1 or M tests except as a short term measure.

Nice boots. Picked up swift boots for €20 from cotters because they where missing a toe slider.

I was knocked off the bike over the summer at around 80kmph and slide along the road for quite a distance. I hoped up with a few bruises and a busted bike. The gear I was wearing did the job but was pretty shagged after it. The knee of my pants was in bits. I don't think I'd be walking right now without wearing them as I probably would have had a mangled knee. Also the gloves had ripped through the leather on the palm. I replaced the cordura armoured gear with racing leathers(I do motorway driving the cordura was knackered at 80kmph never mind 120kmph). I now look like an idiot power ranger but it looks better than skin grafts.

MORAL: If i come off at 5mph I look like an idiot powerranger wannabe. If you come off at 5mph you look like a crash victim.

Sorry to preach....

Listen to this man....:D...I did and I saved a LOT on bike gear. Got three pairs of boots for 90 euro that would have otherwise cost me 400 to 500 euro. Cotters is the BEST shop in Ireland...if you find a shop thats cheaper please let me know because I'll be highly surprised if you do....See preaching is good...

Following on from what I said earlier, Get good gear...I had an accident today, wanted to go for a ride after college and yes I wasn't concentrating 100% and I crashed into a grass verge on a bridge...I know it was a silly mistake but I haven't got a physical bruise anywhere to show what happened apart from a broken bike....SO gear is good...look after yourself!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

if your under 26(?) i think the age is you have to have held an A1 full license for two years before you can apply for the A provisional.

Doin the A1 test will be nicer to your insurance while you wait to age.

So far as i kknow the full B only counts as a provisional M so no pillions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Tree wrote:
    if your under 26(?) i think the age is you have to have held an A1 full license for two years before you can apply for the A provisional.

Doin the A1 test will be nicer to your insurance while you wait to age.

So far as i kknow the full B only counts as a provisional M so no pillions
    Arrrghh, totally wrong! You just need to be 18 years old to apply for a restricted A provisional. When you pass your test you are restricted for 2 further years but then the restriction is lifted. The restriction is on power (max 11kW/33/34Bhp) or power/weight ratio (max 0.16KW/kg I believe).

A full B allows full M priviliges, including thje carrying of pillions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

scorphonic wrote:

Following on from what I said earlier, Get good gear...I had an accident today, wanted to go for a ride after college and yes I wasn't concentrating 100% and I crashed into a grass verge on a bridge...I know it was a silly mistake but I haven't got a physical bruise anywhere to show what happened apart from a broken bike....SO gear is good...look after yourself!!

Good to hear you're ok. Did you have the dreaded target fixation? What did you break on the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

I saw some ejjit on the way to Greystones yesterday on a moped wearing the usual tracksuit and tshirt, to stop his hands getting cold, he put his right hand in his pocket and used the left one for the throttle (sit down and try it, its not to easy) for the love of god if you are getting a moped dont do this...especially on country roads cause youll get some mad lunatic comming around the corner in his suped up cincquicento and you wont stand a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mate of mine came off his bike early Saturday morning at around 50mph. Gear is destroyed, but he was only wearing runners, no boots. One of his runners came off in the crash, he's just lucky that his foot didn't go with it....

I got a lovely pair of lookwell boots in Bikeworld recently for €100. Takes a little while to break them in, but they're super comfy and really warm in the mornings.

seamus wrote:
    I got a lovely pair of lookwell boots in Bikeworld recently for €100. Takes a little while to break them in, but they're super comfy and really warm in the mornings.

Hi Seamus, the lookwell boots are very nice, was trying them out myself!! Just wondering if you have tried Cotters before. Dont mean to harp on about it but it is seriously low priced. In Bikeworld on the same wall they are selling Swift boots for 150 euro...you go to Cotters (which is only five to ten minutes on a bike) in the Ballymount industrial estate. The swift boots here are 30 euro or so. The ones I got here are not second hand but had a faulty zip that was fixed in the factory and sold to Cotters. I will never shop in Bikeworld again...if you have never visited Cotters I'd give it a shot if I were you! (And no I dont work for them:D ) We already pay enough for things in Ireland so why not save a few hundred on gear!!:rolleyes:

Wow..talk about a rant!;)

Advertisement