Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxious and Frustrated 7 year old

Options
  • 01-02-2006 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

We have a seven year old boy who says he feels sick about five times a day (one time being every morning when getting close to school!). I reckon he has butterflies in his tummy, and tell him so, and explain to him that he is not really 'sick'. I think things in his little life are okay, he says they are. His teacher is happy with him, he has a few close friends at home and seems to mix well with most of the children in school.

He seems very frustrated lately too, a friend has suggested he might be learning to deal with emotions...

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

a) Is he being bullied in school? Are kids walking away when he comes up, making remarks about him, calling him names, for instance? You could find out by talking generally about this having happened to someone you knew and how sad it made them when they were little, and does it happen to anyone in his school...?

b) Perhaps you should get him checked out by the doctor anyway, just to make sure that he doesn't have any digestive problems. After all, Ireland has the highest rate in Europe of all kinds of illnesses like Crohn's and coeliac. Better safe than sorry - it'll probably come to nothing, but... You might also ask to talk to a nutritionist *with him*, so he can learn about different kinds of food and what he needs to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We have had the exact same thing with our soon to be 8 year old.
    At that age they have an idea of the world arround them and consquence and what may happen and get emotionally upset and over whelmed at times.
    He has been in tears about everything from thinking about the day the Sun stops working, to how he would feel if his family died, to if we were to move house.

7 is the age of reason and rational thinking and wondering what would happen next.
    Sometimes those toughts are not very pleasant and can be that upseting
    and it can be hard to get a child to open up and talk to you about them.

Sometimes the idea of going to school or the idea of leaving the house to go anyway is an issue with ours. There are stroppy moments and grumpiness and the dragging of feet but once he gets out and about he is fine and enjoys himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 DaisyD

Hi Luckat and Thaedydal. Thanks for your replies. I really don't think he is being bullied at school, I hope I'm right, but I will talk to him over the weekend. Eating certain foods doesn't sicken him because he won't even entertain the idea of trying new foods! Frustrating!!! Your ideas and comments are much appreciated! It's great to know we're not unique!!Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

I used to do that all the time in primary school it was usually because I was being bullied or something in school we were learning that I couldn't do!

Apple Gal wrote:
    I used to do that all the time in primary school it was usually because I was being bullied or something in school we were learning that I couldn't do!

Hi Apple Gal!

Thanks for your reply... what age were you and what happened to make the bullying stop????

He insists things are fine at school and he seems to enjoy it... the teacher has backed this up. He's well able for the school work so I definitely don't think that's the problem.

He says he feels sick (once again... butterflies in the tummy) at other times too, not just at school times. But funnily enough, it never happens when he's playing happily with friends!

I'm hoping he grows out of this, I'm sure he will, but appreciate your reply and would like to hear your answer to my questions. Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

Well it was in first,fourth,fifth and sixth class that all of it happened and the teacher had to talk to us all in sisxth class and thats when it really stopped!
    I usually get butterflies in my stomach when I'm going out and I think of crazy,stupid stuff like if evryone else is wearing something and I'm the only one not and stuff like that but I doubt a 7 year old boy is the same as me!

I hope he's not at that stage yet.... maybe I'll have another quiet word with the teacher and see where that gets me. Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Do monitor when this happend and if your worried take him to his gp,
    it could have a phyical side to it.

Thanks Thaedydal, will do. I'll let ye know how we get on. Isn't child rearing the hardest job ever!!! But the rewards are great.

Advertisement