Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Parking question

Options
  • 01-02-2006 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

Hey there Im starting a course in Griffith college cork in a few weeks , its not the main campus its the one On drinan street off Sullivans Quay.

I drove down once and had some difficulty getting parking but then again I dont know the place at all , could someone recommend somewhere handy to park around the college?

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The council have a car park in between South Terrace and Douglas St. There's a flat rate charge regardless of how long you stay (up to one day). I think it used to be €5, but it might have gone up.
    There's also a private car park up on Tower Street (drive up Barrack St from Sullivan's Quay, take a left at the Y junction, stay right at the next junction, up Friar St, then right at the crossroads at the top and it's on the right). I don't know how much they charge, it looks as if it's in someone's back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

That Car park is now €10 euro.
    The council have a car park in between South Terrace and Douglas St. There's a flat rate charge regardless of how long you stay (up to one day). I think it used to be €5, but it might have gone up.
    There's also a private car park up on Tower Street (drive up Barrack St from Sullivan's Quay, take a left at the Y junction, stay right at the next junction, up Friar St, then right at the crossroads at the top and it's on the right). I don't know how much they charge, it looks as if it's in someone's back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

you could always go to the black ash park n' ride? it's right by the kinsale road roundabout...
    http://www.corkcity.ie/atoz/p/parkandride.shtml

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

yeah, to be honest your best bet is to get a bus into town, parking is ridiculous there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Woukd the park and ride bus drop me off very far from that campus on Drinan Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Woukd the park and ride bus drop me off very far from that campus on Drinan Street?
    Think it drops off by City Hall - 10 min walk to Drinan St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Think it drops off by City Hall - 10 min walk to Drinan St.
    yep, just follow the river all the way down..

That car park between South Terrace and Douglas street seems like a good idea , Is it hard to get in and out of though? Bare in mind that Im a terrible driver.

Think Ill head up this weekend or next weekend and check out that and the park and ride , park and ride would be ideal but I dont think it runs sundays .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Cork Corpo wrote:
    Park and Ride

Service Name

Park and Ride
    Black Ash Park and Ride

Opening Hours

Black Ash Park and Ride operates Monday to Saturday 7.30 a.m to 7.30 p.m.

Buses to Lapps Quay every 10 minute - peak time, every fifteen minutes - off-peak.

Cost of Service

Car plus return bus fare ?5.00
    Charge includes parking and return bus fare for driver and up to four passengers

Season Tickets are now available at the Park and Ride Facility and represent great value.

The following charges apply:

?25 for a weekly ticket (6 days)
    ?100 for a monthly ticket
    ?1,100 for an annual ticket

more corpo parking info here http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/roads/park_ride.shtml

Well it looks like I dont come past that roundabout when I come in from the Dungarvan side and I heard the traffics fairly rough coming back through the tunnel so I might leave the park and ride as a last resort for the minute , with any luck at least onr of those car parks above will be easy to access and fairly near in walking distance to the college,.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Well it looks like I dont come past that roundabout when I come in from the Dungarvan side and I heard the traffics fairly rough coming back through the tunnel so I might leave the park and ride as a last resort for the minute , with any luck at least onr of those car parks above will be easy to access and fairly near in walking distance to the college,.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals :)

Coming from the Dungarvan side will bring you right to the tunnel, which leads to the Kinsale Rd Roundabout near the Park and Ride. Tunnel is a lot better (very little delay) since they 'expanded' the Dunkettle interchange - you just gotta watch for people who don't know what the white lines on the road mean!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

...and you'll be turning right off the magic roundabout so you can take the fast inside lane (it's fast cos every f*cker there goes right up to the lights and then swerves into the middle lane)

grrrr, i hate ppl who swing into the middle lane, though if you go allllllll ht eway round the roundabout in the inside lane its legal and not annoying

Right lads I drove up today and found that council car park on white street the one witht the 10euro flat rate charge , wasnt too difficult to drive to , Im still amazed at how much of the city is one way :eek: Im getting there though , was in the right lanes most of the time today.

Now There was loads of space there this morning but am I likely to find it difficult getting a spot there on a saturday morning ?
    Well my main concern is getting back out of it at 5 in the evening but im hoping Ill be ok .

Now There was loads of space there this morning but am I likely to find it difficult getting a spot there on a saturday morning ?
    There's always space late on Saturday afternoon and I'd guess there would also be space if you arrive before the shoppers on Sat morning. If you're stuck there are some two hour disc parking zones around Drinan St or a multi storey near St Finnbarr's cathedral (EUR 12/day).
    By the way, it's a bit quiet around White St during the day, therefore probably a good place for thieving from parked cars, so don't leave any valuables on display.

Is white street a dodgy area in general?
    Just wondering since I dont know the place at all , I love my car and could do without it getting robbed.

Is it a safe enough area to walk to and from aswell?

I think it's generally safe to walk around there, just a bit quiet.

Well at least the evenings are stretching a bit now , didnt want to be walking around a strange place in the dark.

Ok so I need someone to put me straight here.

Firstly I went to Cork today was in the centre at 2 and found the drive more than stressful , I was just wondering on leaving cork , I know I stay to the right at the traffic lights right at the end of Patrick Street but on the bridge at the lights before I come to the lights in front of Patricks Hill , should I be in the middle lane?

Because I was today but the cars to both sides of me also went forward and we almost had a collision , I was under the impression that the guy in the left should be turning left and me an the guy in the right go towards patricks hill , and does it matter which lane Im in going right at the lights right in front of Patricks Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Ok so I need someone to put me straight here.

Firstly I went to Cork today was in the centre at 2 and found the drive more than stressful , I was just wondering on leaving cork , I know I stay to the right at the traffic lights right at the end of Patrick Street but on the bridge at the lights before I come to the lights in front of Patricks Hill , should I be in the middle lane?

Because I was today but the cars to both sides of me also went forward and we almost had a collision , I was under the impression that the guy in the left should be turning left and me an the guy in the right go towards patricks hill , and does it matter which lane Im in going right at the lights right in front of Patricks Hill?

See image
    You were in position2.

position1 allows left (and, even if the road markings don't allow it - have a look- expect the driver to go straight, because that is allowed on most junctions)
    position2 allows straight
    position3 allows straight

• Advertisement
Advertisement