Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage Treatment in Moville/Greencastle

Options
  • 01-02-2006 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

Don't think this was discussed before. Earlier this evening, I was watching Channel 9 News (for those of you wondering, Channel 9 broadcasts from Derry) and they had an item on Donegal County Council's proposed new sewage treatment plant in Moville. This plant will serve both Moville and Greencastle. The locals are up in arms about it and have petitioned the council about it. They were told to look at the existing plant in Stranorlar but judging by what the local residents group's representative in Stranorlar had to say for himself, he didn't seem to enamoured by it. Do you think there is an alternative to this plan in Moville or is it a case of not in my backyard as it may well have a detrimental effect on property/land prices in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Where can you build these without someone complaining? Personally I wouldn't care les about having one nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Where can you build these without someone complaining? Personally I wouldn't care les about having one nearby.
    I'll tell you what, if you had been living in Stranorlar last year you wouldn't be saying that.

I take your point that someone will always be complaining. Even if there weren't houses there the local farmer would be complaining. But there should be a minimum seperating distance of at least 700 metres between treatment plant and houses.

Its back to the old story of bad planning

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Although I am not from the Moville, I know the Carnagarve area where they are proposing this. It is a very nice area with some unusual but great houses, beaches, beach walks etc. Seems to me as if they could have found somewhere less obtrusive for it. Not only will the local residents be affected, visitors who avail of the beach path between Moville and Greencastle will be walking right in front of it. Imagine that on a stifling summer day with not a breeze.

smashey wrote:
    Imagine that on a stifling summer day with not a breeze.
    Could make a fortune selling gas masks :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dualta

smashey wrote:
    Although I am not from the Moville, I know the Carnagarve area where they are proposing this. It is a very nice area with some unusual but great houses, beaches, beach walks etc. Seems to me as if they could have found somewhere less obtrusive for it. Not only will the local residents be affected, visitors who avail of the beach path between Moville and Greencastle will be walking right in front of it. Imagine that on a stifling summer day with not a breeze.
    Does anyone know if there are any maps or other information about the plant available on the net?

I don't think it has been granted planning permission yet and I heard that the council are currently preparing an Environmental Impact Statement to support the scheme. I'm sure this will have to include references to foul odours and market oportunities for Donegal Co Council branded gas masks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Dualta wrote:
    Does anyone know if there are any maps or other information about the plant available on the net?

I don't think it has been granted planning permission yet and I heard that the council are currently preparing an Environmental Impact Statement to support the scheme. I'm sure this will have to include references to foul odours and market oportunities for Donegal Co Council branded gas masks.

Try this

http://www.donegal.ie/DCC/iplaninternet/internetenquiry/rpt_querybysurforrecloc.asp

Enter Carnagarve into the site address location and scroll through. click on the application and you have access to all documents.

smashey wrote:
    Try this

http://www.donegal.ie/DCC/iplaninternet/internetenquiry/rpt_querybysurforrecloc.asp

Enter Carnagarve into the site address location and scroll through. click on the application and you have access to all documents.
    That could be seen as stirring the s**te :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gemmam0924

Well I live in Carnagarve,I have done all my life. This sewage plant would be a major eyesoar,it would stink my family and my neighbours out of our homes and tourists out of the area. Not 2 mention that my family would have 2 move from the area as I have a chronic lung disease and need clean,fresh air. The sewage would be pumped into Lough Foyle and could be lethal to people swimming in the area. The plant would be a few fields away from a local school also. I also think that this is an outrage that Donegal County Council did not properly inform the residance of the area about this monstrasity. I may only be 14 years old but I no the law well.

Advertisement