Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edguy V Dragonforce

• 01-02-2006 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Edguy or Dragonforce? Edguy all the way!!!:v: they were brilllllll live whilst Dragonforce bored me to tears!!! Talk about cheezy!!!!!:eek:

Who do U prefer Edguy or Dragonforce??? 10 votes

Edguy
    0% 0 votes
    Dragonforce
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 General Edius

Dragonforce rule you commie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Obviously no contest - Dragonforce are just too cheesy & a very average band whereas Edguy are really good.. Caught the end of them a few times at different festivals (they were usually the opener) & were great live.

Wouldn't really have chosen either if there was more of a selection but Edguy definitely beat Dragonforce hands down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

if you got bored at DragonForce then there's something wrong with you. even if you found the music too cheesy, just dont be a dick and enjoy the show. the music is cheesy purely for the craic, they're a band with tremendous energy and if you made the slightest effort to enjoy yourself, i'd imagine you'd find it hard to have a **** time. come on, name another band that plays that fast while bouncing across the stage on trampolines! :P

so yeah, DragonForce all the way.
    (Valley of the Damned & Sonic Firestorm > Inhuman Rampage)

No I'd agree with you there Arucard - they do have tremendous energy live, I went to the last gig in the Temple Bar Music Centre & saw them at Graspop too.. But live energy doesn't make up for them being a pretty average powermetal band... Was expecting great things from them when everyone started raving about them, but just can't understand the hype.. So many better bands out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Agent_X

Thats too true oral, i really expected sumthing far above average with the way everyone went on about them. They try way 2 hard to b cheezy thats y they r so bad. I loove power metal but dragonforce r a band made for ppl who know nothing about real power metal and want to get into it. Although i must say there r loads of ppl who r into proper power metal and yet r under dragon force's spell.:confused: and general edius can just shut is n00b to metal hole! and as for arucard i totally enjoyed the show up until dragonforce started with their lacklustre performance (wot the hell was that keyboard solo all about?? trance!??!!) edguy were BRILLIANT, tons more energy than dragonforce and much better, cathcy, fantastic songs only if they played more. DRAGONFORCE SUCK!!!end of story.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Now while I'm at a slight disadvantage in that I havn't seen Edguy live yet I will instead direct my comments at those who have been overly critical of Dragonforce....

Agent_X, eh no, sorry, not end of story...Dragonforce do not "SUCK!!!" and are not "a band made for ppl who know nothing about real power metal", if you want to express your opinion try and do it in a way thats not so closed-minded.
    Are you telling me Herman Li isn't a phenomenal guitarist? I have a feeling a few people would disagree with you on that one.

In fact the entire band, imho anyway, are fantastic. They put on a great show, have shedloads of energy, have really catchy songs filled with just the right amount of cheese (:D) and have solos that, although "excessive" at times, never become tiring even after repeated listening. Thats just my two cents on the matter anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Now while I'm at a slight disadvantage in that I havn't seen Edguy live yet I will instead direct my comments at those who have been overly critical of Dragonforce....

Agent_X, eh no, sorry, not end of story...Dragonforce do not "SUCK!!!" and are not "a band made for ppl who know nothing about real power metal", if you want to express your opinion try and do it in a way thats not so closed-minded.
    Are you telling me Herman Li isn't a phenomenal guitarist? I have a feeling a few people would disagree with you on that one.

In fact the entire band, imho anyway, are fantastic. They put on a great show, have shedloads of energy, have really catchy songs filled with just the right amount of cheese (:D) and have solos that, although "excessive" at times, never become tiring even after repeated listening. Thats just my two cents on the matter anyway...

I want to hug you for that post! Dragonforce are fantastic, the individual musicians are amazing. Of course herman kinda gets the most attention, but its pretty deserved. As for them not being "real power metal"- maybe they're just better than most power metal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Dragonforce should be commended for being one of the few metal bands that don't take them selves waaaayyyyy too seriously.They're simply pure fun and they know it and while the whole battle metal thing wears a bit thin pretty quickly they're still an enjoyable band that doesn't appeal to people simply because of fashionable cheesiness like the Darkness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Agent_X wrote:
    Thats too true oral, i really expected sumthing far above average with the way everyone went on about them. They try way 2 hard to b cheezy thats y they r so bad. I loove power metal but dragonforce r a band made for ppl who know nothing about real power metal and want to get into it. Although i must say there r loads of ppl who r into proper power metal and yet r under dragon force's spell.:confused: and general edius can just shut is n00b to metal hole! and as for arucard i totally enjoyed the show up until dragonforce started with their lacklustre performance (wot the hell was that keyboard solo all about?? trance!??!!) edguy were BRILLIANT, tons more energy than dragonforce and much better, cathcy, fantastic songs only if they played more. DRAGONFORCE SUCK!!!end of story.:D
    people=word
    ppl=not a word.

As for them not being "real power metal"- maybe they're just better than most power metal?

They definitely are power metal, no arguments there, but speaking as a person that has seen a great many bands over the years, they just don't live up to the hype that surrounds them.

Brianthebard / Faceless Man - have you both seen / listened to a lot of other power metal bands or are Dragonforce one of the first you've been into.
    Maybe I'm coming from a different direction - having been a major fan of bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray etc. for over 10 years, I would have expected Dragonforce to as amazing as someone like Iced Earth with all raving that goes on about them, but they are just nothing special. Not that I'm saying they're bad musicians or their music is awful or anything, just nothing ground breaking!

• Advertisement

I've been into metal for a good while now, pretty much open minded when it comes to it too. With (what I consider) Power Metal, Dragonforce were one of the first bands I heard in that genre, around the same time as I heard Sonata Arctica for the first time if my memory is correct. I never really heard any major hype with them though, it was just one of my mates going "Man, get "My Spirit Will Go On" by this band called Dragonforce, you won't be sorry" and tbh I wasnt :D

Since then I've listened to alot more however, the likes of Nevermore, Iced Earth, Sonata and Dragonforce have found a place in between the likes of Children Of Bodom, Shadows Fall, Lamb Of God and In Flames on my playlists so bias isn't something I can really be accused of. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oral Slang wrote:
    They definitely are power metal, no arguments there, but speaking as a person that has seen a great many bands over the years, they just don't live up to the hype that surrounds them.

Brianthebard / Faceless Man - have you both seen / listened to a lot of other power metal bands or are Dragonforce one of the first you've been into.
    Maybe I'm coming from a different direction - having been a major fan of bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray etc. for over 10 years, I would have expected Dragonforce to as amazing as someone like Iced Earth with all raving that goes on about them, but they are just nothing special. Not that I'm saying they're bad musicians or their music is awful or anything, just nothing ground breaking!
    Its a cliché to say this but my musical tastes are all incompassing-I play trad music, listen to the blues and go to slayer gigs.

I like to listen to compilation discs to find new music, that's where I found dragonforce, on a Battle metal comp, and they were one of the best bands on the cd. As for ground breaking music, how often do you actually find a band that's genuinely new and ground breaking in every sense of the phrase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Dragonforce= bog-standard power metal with an "OMFG teh gitarizt" and what sounds like the lackluster yet "adequate" stylings of Cannibal Corpse's drummer. Simple as. Nothing new or ground breaking. Sam Totman is better than Herman Li as well, Herman just runs up and down scales and arps and arriving at a rather underwhelming twangy bend or phrase, Sam plays around with his phrases alot better and makes more interesting melodic tones.
    As for good power metal, I guess I'd have to go with Lost Horizon, Kamelot and maybe Tad Morose or Manticora (with their darker power metal).

i guess it comes down to taste, but like them or not, you cannot deny the energy and the talent of DragonForce. personally, i love them, from the tongue-in-cheek cheesiness to the incredible guitarwork. if i'm going to be brutally honest, none of their albums are incredibly consistent, there is a big void between songs that are great and then songs that are just ok, but not enough so for me to dislike them.
    i would fight for their brilliance with more enthusiasm, only the new album disappointed me a little - its good, but its a step back from the previous two.

If u think i sound closed minded thats your problem. I'm anything but closed minded. All i'm saying is that Dragonforce r a wayyy below average power metal band compared to bands like Edguy/gamma ray/helloween etc. They r not what they'r hyped up to b.
    It's not about herman li being a bad guitarist, i never said he was! Its the whole band in general, they make me cringe. They r so over doing the 'Battle' theme.
    There is nothing at all unique about them whatsoever.

^^thats not quite true, or maybe ive just missed out on all the other bands who play at such a relentless pace

Indeedy, while I know other bands can and do play that fast, Dragonforce were the first band that I heard do so hence to me that is why they sound(ed) so unique or at least why I thought they sounded so unique. Everytime I hear them they just wake me up and put me in a good mood becuase of their liveliness, its the perfect soundtrack to HADD tbh. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I haven't really listened to Edguy... but I will say that there are far stronger power metal bands out there than Dragonforce. Sonic Firestorm and Valley of the Damned are good albums, but they are the kind of band that work best as one or two songs in a playlist rather than in big chunks. Though I really like power metal, I'm not so much about the cheesy lyrics. (I still haven't found a relatively current band as good as Sonata Arctica tbh)
    Yes, Dragonforce have lots of energy, and yes they have talent, but they could really do with trying something new... after a while they can get a little samey.

Indeedy, while I know other bands can and do play that fast, Dragonforce were the first band that I heard do so hence to me that is why they sound(ed) so unique or at least why I thought they sounded so unique. Everytime I hear them they just wake me up and put me in a good mood becuase of their liveliness, its the perfect soundtrack to HADD tbh. :D

I guess if its the first power metal band u got i understand y u'r so into them but u must understand that there is nothing original about wot dragonforce r doing. If u know now that u like the sound of power metal, i suggest u go listen to older bands like helloween, gamma ray etc... bands that invented power metal in the first place and have plenty of originality and brilliant racks to boot!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Please use a full keyboard... Txtspk makes baby Jebus cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

well i voted edguy purely because i have all their albums and i also have dragonforces albums and i have to say each of the dragonforce albums especially the new one there is no variation its great music but at times it sounds like you could be listening to any on the 3 albums and if you did no know the title of the song your listening too you would be hard pushed to figure out what album its from,were as every edguy album is different lots of variation and if anyone has heard tobais sammets side show Avantasia they will see he is a brilliant all round musician and a huge influence and i have a feeling this year they might finally get the worldwide recognition they deserve like they have on mainland europe etc.. Dragonforce got a huge pr push and exploded not saying they dont deserve it but like everything in the music buisness theres much better bands that deserve to be were they are:D

Advertisement