Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please tell me what you think of this idea

Options
  • 01-02-2006 11:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭

First of all, please bear with me on this....

I have discovered a love of watercolours over the last year, enjoying painting various scenes from local hills and architecture to photos from various books and magazines to stuff from the twisted interior of my head.
    I was having a good hard think about what to paint next when my mind went to that marvellous game Ico and its followup Shadow of the Colossus, remembering the joy at each new vista that openned up during gameplay, views of the castle, the sheer scale of it, the muted colours and then it hit me how perfect for watercolours it would be.

What I wanted to know is
    would there be a market out there for pictures of this sort of stuff?
    The idea being that someone could email the required picture and I could get to work putting it to paper.
    Certainly the two games mentioned above would be quite suitable, but what other titles offer up such views?
    I think Zelda, Ocarina of Time may have a few candidates, but what else?
    Does it have to be fantasy based stuff?
    What about Metroid Prime? Or Katamari Damacy?

Anyway, intereted in your thoughts and ideas,
    And if anyone out there would be interested in buying such work, assuming it would be framed and finished to a professional standard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I would, sounds like a good idea tbh. You should really check out Okami if you haven't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think it's a great idea. It's the kind of thing that could get a writeup on slashdot or theregister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

It sure would be cool, but I'd want to see an example or two before I go commissioning anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I guess thats a given, I will get stuck into it over the next couple of weeks and all things going right I will post some finished work.
    Please remember I have only just thought of it this afternoon, painting takes time.
    As for commisioning a painting, there would be no real need for money to change hands til the recipient is happy with the picture, and if he doesn't want it, sure it goes in my portfolio.
    Please email or post here some suitable scenes from favorite games to give me a bit of inspiration, landscapes are my happiest format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Please email or post here some suitable scenes from favorite games to give me a bit of inspiration, landscapes are my happiest format.

Link entering Hyrule.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Seems like a good idea

I'll have a root through my pics from Metroid Prime later... Can't really afford to commission a picture at the moment though

Samus entering Phendrana (sp!) drifts could be just the job

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, not to worry about commissioning anything just yet, figure a couple of paintings as examples would be best first, as for prices I guess that will depend on the paintings size, time taken and framing, but its all still embryonic now, a little bit of time first, working on a couple of things for family now. I reckon anyone who dabbles in watercolours can do this, just the subject matter thats unusual, but Pacman in oils does sound interesting!
    Perhaps SuperMonkeyBall in acrylics!
    I mean the easiest stuff to do would be Yoshis Island on the GBA and Snes, most of it looks like a painting already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

the master chief (halo) holding his gun with the halo in the backround,
    i would pay for it
    class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

MGS:3 Snake in the Jungle. Brilliant stuff.

Besides you can always paint what ever you want and I know people on e-bay will buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

any scene from any mgs game tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any Panzer Dragoon game particularly PD Saga and Orta. It has a unique style to it.

Have a look here: http://www.moonapples.com/lagi/

I think orta in the forbidden zone or the fallen grounds could be great or Azel and Edge in the water ruins in saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

could you get done for copyright?
    considering someone else crafted the image which you are recreating for profit

I guess, don't want a SWAT team storming my humble home over a watercolour of Ico, seems like a waste of police time to me, seriously though I guess they would just send me a letter to desist and I would be compelled to comply. I suppose I will cross that bridge when and if I come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

cloud walking into the water holding aeries in his arms *sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I guess, don't want a SWAT team storming my humble home over a watercolour of Ico

yeah bro, i'd hate to see that happen to ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

a post monster kill scene from the original UT would be gorey but cool in a sick type way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I really like the idea, I think giants: citizen kabuto would be a good candidate for an impressive scene.

Has to be a colossus with our hero, well, in its shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

If I had the money and the means I'd be interested.
    I'd say paint a few anyway, then spread them about see if anyone is interested in them, or in getting you to paint something else. As someone said, worst comes to worst you can probably sell em on e-bay.

colossus.jpg
    Here is a quick attempt at a scene from this iconic game,
    took a few hours but I can do much much better given a little time.

I know its a bit amateurish, but then I am an amateur!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Ohhhh, that looks prreeeettyy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

That's deadly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i concur, very good work indeed

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    colossus.jpg
    Here is a quick attempt at a scene from this iconic game,
    took a few hours but I can do much much better given a little time.

I know its a bit amateurish, but then I am an amateur!

Savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Go for it, sounds like a good idea!!

I was a little disappointed myself, thats the problem with watercolours, great for atmosphere but fine detail needs to be inferred rather than painted and with a colossus the temptation is to fudge it, must try harder, the atual picture is 14" by 10" so a tad bigger than the thumbnail! also the way the paper sits on the scanner makes the picture seem a bit distorted, the paper has been very wet during the work so it distorts a little, when under glass it looks great.
    Onwards and Upwards!
    I will post more as I paint them, they take about 8-10 hours each so it may be a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Some website I was reading linked to a website dedicated to videogame art a couple of months ago. Can't seem to find it in Google now though..

It had Mario, Link, Metroid artwork. Had some really inspired Katamari stuff as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Excellent job! Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

I think thats a great idea! I could see lots of Gamers wanting this.

When you get a website setup post a link back here to let us know. I have some screenshots of some good kills in Enemy Territory that would look great hanging up on the wall in my PC room! :D

Good luck. :)

Advertisement