Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband+ & Easynews

• 02-02-2006 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else here on broadband+ and happens to use the Easynews newsserver (obviously for downloading linux iso's and open source software of course!) has noticed a major degrading in speeds since the upgrade to 3mb?

My web speeds are fine, was downloading a torrent @ 300k earlier tonight, but my newsserver speeds don't seem to go over 35k or so.

There have been a number of people from all over the world recently complaining to the Easynews support group about their speeds going down, but just wondering if this is indeed a local issue to BT or something else.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Port 119 throttling and in packet ISO inspection is yer only man nowadays.

Bugger off to another port if you can and if thats borked try another news provider on 119 and then we'll suspect its maybe BT :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I use the web interface and it maxes out my connection all the time.

I'll give the news version a bash tomorrow and see what speeds I'm getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

TimTim wrote:
    I use the web interface and it maxes out my connection all the time.

I'll give the news version a bash tomorrow and see what speeds I'm getting.

The web interface has slowed down too. I've tried the different ports and changed my route umpteen times to no avail.

I have a backup Astranews server and that seems to have slowed down a bit aswell. Perhaps they have started throttling ports. But if they have, surely they would have to inform us of changes in the service?

I know BT get bashed a lot here, but I've always been very happy with them, even from the Surf No Limits days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Technically BT have always been a very very good service, thats why I suggested you try alternative solutions. Its even possible that the transatlantic pipes have begun to throttle NNTP because it is a large traffic load and a grossly asymmetrical one given that all the significant NNTP providers are in the US .

Basically I am minded not to blame BT at this point in time ....pending further investigations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

kmurph wrote:
    The web interface has slowed down too. I've tried the different ports and changed my route umpteen times to no avail.

I'm getting 317Kb/sec as I currently write this. And I'm using the LLNW.net pipe if you want to test it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have BB+ and use newshosting. Been getting upwards of 280kBps on port 119 since the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Hmm, just testing it here in work on a 3mb connection and still only getting less than 60k/sec on the news server after changing routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

I have also found that the Easynews downloads have slowed down on me as well, I used to be always able to get around 1.2Mb/s but I am downloading something at the minute an I am only getting about 420kB/s. I might try and change the route and see of that helps anything at all. I am using DAP as well, if I was just to use Mozilla I would only get about 200kb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

i just changed my route to GIGE-1-LEVEL3.NET and this has increased my speed to about 600kb/s, which is a bit better I suppose, its still about half of what I used to get though

Advertisement