Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And you all thought I was a psychotic bad-tempered paranoid.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

steveland? wrote:
    ..After a few seconds someone shouted out "You're a prick" and he got his free flight...

I knew Trinity types were slow, but .... Banagher!

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

RuggieBear wrote:
    Well i've been pimping heineken and Disney's Bear in the Big Blue House for well over 2 years now....
    That would explain the drunken bear fight i recently saw in Dublin Zoo ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Ever stop to think you might be over reacting?

There is nothing wrong with advertising, its a neccessity for all business and like organisations. Such entities only exist so long as they meet consumer demands.

A lot of ppl will ignore direct marketing so new techniques like this are emerging. Most of those funny mastercard spoof emails you get origionate from mastercard.

Its not completely dishonest, its just sublte and non-intrusive.
    Personally I think its inovative and clever (yes I do do marketing :) )
    I would think of what you're describing as 'Viral' marketing. An 'ad' is created and people choose to send it to each other because it also contains something interesting along with the ad, usually it's a funny picture or video clip, and not because they work for the ad company or are recieving money for it in any way. The ad earns it's own way by being entertaining, and people freely choose to pass it on because of that. I quite like 'Viral' marketing, I get a few emails every now and then with a funny clip or picture, if it's funny enough to pass on I do so realising that it is also an ad, but do so because of it's funnyness.

I think of what's being talked about here as 'Stealth' or 'Guerilla' marketing, the people doing it are passing it on because they are payed to do so while hiding their affiliations, and they do so by leeching off the resources of others without contributing in any way. In fact they do it to the detriment of others, by hiding their intentions and reducing the usefullness of those resource.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ever stop to think you might be over reacting?

Ever think that you are underreacting?
    There is nothing wrong with advertising, its a neccessity for all business and like organisations.

We have an ad top right. Its a banner ad. You know its an ad. It knows its an ad. We take money for it and we put it there so we know its an ad too. Thats honest advertising.

Such entities only exist so long as they meet consumer demands.
    Such entities exist because their owners want to make money. They are selfish people who don't consider what their companies actions will do to the communities they operate in. They simply want to feed off them until, like Usenet, they are sucked dry.

Like the man says, theres another organism that works that way.
    A lot of ppl will ignore direct marketing so new techniques like this are emerging.

This is the Darwinian arms race I referred to.

Did you ever stop to think that ppl are ignoring them because THEY DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

Ah but thats irrelevant isnt it. Marketeers arent concerned with anything the public actually want. Its what THEY want thats important and THEY want to tell you this information. They get paid when they tell you this information. Thats all that matters.

Most of those funny mastercard spoof emails you get origionate from mastercard.

I've left this in because I don't like deleting parts of posts that I reply to. However I have no idea why this is relevant.
    Its not completely dishonest, its just sublte and non-intrusive.
    Personally I think its inovative and clever (yes I do do marketing :) )

Its utterly dishonest. Not only that but its destructive and insidious.
    It plays on peoples openness and trust in humanity and it ****s that in the ass for a cheap buck.

When everyone starts doing this, what will happen then? Noone here will be able to trust anyone. Everyone is a potential shill and the information flow, which is relatively pure at the moment, becomes tainted. Ultimately undrinkable.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

DeVore wrote:
    Like the man says, theres another organism that works that way.
    Gold digging women?

I think a Bill Hicks quote would suit here:
    By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. No, this is not a joke: kill yourself . . . I know what the marketing people are thinking now too: 'Oh. He's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market.' Oh man, I am not doing that, you ****ing evil scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

DeVore wrote:
    We can man the barricades.

Firstly we dont get a lot of this because I've made damned sure that the downside to getting caught is as bad as I can make it. Esat lost a Director I believe over their incident.

First I heard of this. What was this in relation to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I read through to the end of the thread to ask the same question.

What was that Esat incident Dev is talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Think it has begun... except this is a bit obvious:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054884867

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

whiskeyman wrote:
    Think it has begun... except this is a bit obvious:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054884867

That's... really very, very, transparent...

EDIT: http://speaknoevil.proboards7.com/index.cgi?action=userrecentposts&user=popnfresh175
    http://s3.invisionfree.com/Nothing_But_Stuff/index.php?showtopic=236&hl=

There are many more.

Would their IP address happen to belong to Universal Corp, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

steveland? wrote:
    I think a Bill Hicks quote would suit here:
    Oh dear God, did you pick the right man to quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think Pigsback should pay us for hosting this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

its just sublte and non-intrusive

That's one way of describing it.

Another way would be "sneaky" or "insidious".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Evil Phil wrote:
    Prevention may be the best cure but there is a lot to be said for baiting a trap to find out who exactly is involved - then we can boycott products, ban the product from boards and all the other things DeV mentioned.

but what if its a product i want and plan to buy anyway?

or does it only apply to things you are not interested in?

or does it only apply to things that have a specifically backed targeted marketing campaign?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Could boards not look out for single IPs from which large amounts of accounts have been registered and keep an eye?
    I certainly wouldn't have a problem with such measures and i don't think many others would either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DeVore wrote:

Link does not work?

Not your ornery onager

Deleted, presumably. It might be an idea to keep a few of these undeleted as a sample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Could boards not look out for single IPs from which large amounts of accounts have been registered and keep an eye?
    I certainly wouldn't have a problem with such measures and i don't think many others would either.
    There go the college boards then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

There go the college boards then...
    Do you not think they'd know the IP's of the Colleges & IT's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Most users on home dialup/broadband also get assigned IPs from a pool of IPs every time they connect rather than having dedicated IPs. This also makes it harder to make decisions based on IP.

In any case, these horrible businesses operate by getting many people to register all over the place and post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

0utshined wrote:
    I read through to the end of the thread to ask the same question.

What was that Esat incident Dev is talking about?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Not quite the same, but along the same lines....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4685750.stm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It was quite common for a while for companies to spam their names and links to their sites across forums and blogs to try and get higher rankings in google, altough I think google have changed their algorithms to reduce this.

0utshined wrote:
    Anyone?
    On the IOFFL forum look up "April Fool". Its a thread that starts with an April Fools joke supposedly from the Irish Times.

DeV.

Alright, I needed a laugh so I found it again. Follow Muck's links after it all kicks off to see the previous 6 months of "shilling".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89518

DeV

DeVore wrote:
    If you're going to link us to it you could at least keep it visible so we can point and laugh :(

DeVore wrote:
    Alright, I needed a laugh so I found it again. Follow Muck's links after it all kicks off to see the previous 6 months of "shilling".

DeV

Oh, dear. If I was a company hiring a shill I'd at least make sure they were vaguely literate...

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:

DeV
    They lost a director as a direct consequence of that? How did yis find out?

Advertisement