Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn do the double over United

• 02-02-2006 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭

Fantastic.

Thats my bragging rights restored for the next 6 months! :D

What were the odds on Blackburn doing the double over united at the beginning of the season?

I think Blackburn have come on leaps and bounds this year. At the start of ther season if someone said we'd be level on points with Arsenal at the start of february, I'd have taken it!

Uefa cup qualification is creeping closer.

X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Should we all start new threads when our team does something of little note like that? Blackburn do the double on United...but when have they ever done a double when involving trophies?

Come back to us when they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I was thinking of starting another thread to say David Bentley becomes the first player to score a hat trick against United.

Also the one where Rio tells alex he didnt touch savage, yet savage may need stitches for the gash in his shin is a good one too!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

fade2black wrote:
    Should we all start new threads when our team does something of little note like that? Blackburn do the double on United...but when have they ever done a double when involving trophies?

If I started researching all the pointless threads about teams that have been on this board we'd be here a while. If someone is delighted about a result, why shouldn't they share it?

I, for one, am. After last week, I made sure to send everyone a text who was kind enough to show me the same treatment last week ;)

How many teams have done the double over United this season by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

How good was bentley, are you the same soccer pundit that said you would not have signed him on a permanent deal ?

"I did not want Bentley as a striker. He'll do as a winger, but that's about it, just do"

Fair play to blackburn, and a word of thanks from LIverpool fans who did not see united strecth their lead over us. Fergie must not think much of ye though, why else would he have not picked the leagues top scorer from the start ? Once again that his tactical naivety has cost United points.

How good was bentley, are you the same soccer pundit that said you would not have signed him on a permanent deal ?

"I did not want Bentley as a striker. He'll do as a winger, but that's about it, just do"

Fair play to blackburn, and a word of thanks from LIverpool fans who did not see united strecth their lead over us. Fergie must not think much of ye though, why else would he have not picked the leagues top scorer from the start ? Once again that his tactical naivety has cost United points.

Just because Bentley scored a hat-trick doesn't mean I am going to change my opinion of him. I am thrilled for him, and the team, but I'm not that naieve. If Cisse scored a hat-trick tomorrow for Liverpool would you suddenly proclaim him as the saviour?

Bentley showed last night that he's not all about tricks and flicks. Hopefully he can continue that now that he has the security of a permanent deal. I'd prefer to see him in the right wing position though, with Dickov/Kuqi and Bellamy up front. Incidentally, Bentley's hat-trick means that Pongelle has now gone from fifth choice at Liverpool to fifth choice striker at Blackburn too ;)

I'd imagine Fergie thinks alot of Blackburn at this stage if he didn't before. We've played them 4 times this season. 1 win to United, 1 draw and two wins to Blackburn. If Sparky keeps this up, United will come knocking for him.

On another note, that Blackburn's back-up striking partnership could knock in four goals against United's back four says alot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

fade2black wrote:

Listen it's the first time in 60+ years that blackburn have done the double over united, So i think it's a fair statement to shout about =).

well i was surprised by the hatrick hero , and i'm hoping that this will give him the confidence to continue on that patch for us =).

Also the only player i can remember scoring a hatrick on thier debut for thier club against united is paulo wanchop ( when he sign'd for Derby). So Gratz to bentley.

I'm gona see how he goes , i'll just consider him a striker for now, seeing as the majority are injured so beggers can't be choosers.

More great news for Rovers. A 3 year sponsorship deal has been signed with Bet24.com, to start next season.

Southampton fans have their own ongoing thread. Are we going to see a new one everytime this benchmark of mediocrity beats a team by more than a goal or does the double over a team that are 15pts behind the leaders of the Premier League?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

fade2black wrote:
    Southampton fans have their own ongoing thread. Are we going to see a new one everytime this benchmark of mediocrity beats a team by more than a goal or does the double over a team that are 15pts behind the leaders of the Premier League?

Learn to read a thread , well more importantly the Post i made :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

fade2black wrote:

Troll

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

fade2black wouldn't happen to be a Utd fan by any chance?

Big Nelly wrote:
    Troll

I'd count that as abuse.

sinecurea wrote:
    fade2black wouldn't happen to be a Utd fan by any chance?

More importantly just sick and tired of the soccer forum getting cramped by people looking for attention.

Fair play to Blackburn, they are actually a team I've always had time for.

fade2black wrote:
    I'd count that as abuse.

LMAO, go tell your mammy. If I wanted to use abusive language towards you Im sure I could think up something better than "troll"
    fade2black wrote:
    More importantly just sick and tired of the soccer forum getting cramped by people looking for attention.

Fair play to Blackburn, they are actually a team I've always had time for.

Think you have made a great description there of....wait for it......yourself. If you don't have anythign decent to say then just avoid the thread. Simple. Its not your job on here to tell anyone what they can and can't post about.

This is a Blackburn thread so if you don't have anythign to say about them then just read or don't but don't start saying someone shouldn't post about them because it upsets you. Get over yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was thinking of starting another thread to say David Bentley becomes the first player to score a hat trick against United.

I was gona do that too. Unreal fact.

p.s. If you don't like the thread, don't read it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Fair play to Blackburn,
    They battled hard and worked hard for each other. The truth is that they were gifted 3 goals. 2 by United defending and 1 by thr referee. Lemlin would you feel that "justice" was served now??
    United looked awesome going forward at times but they really let themselves down at the back. VDS was terrible and at fault for bentley's first and for the error with Rio. He should have screamed for that ball. Ferdinand was terrible but was unlucky to be sent off. The first shove on pedersen shouldnt have been a yellow and i feel the ref reacted too quickly to the second tackle because of last weeks carry on in the tunnel at OT. Great game for a neutral but as a United fan i was obviously dissappointed with the result. defending on both sides was very poor. Bentley's third was a class goal, Neville was way out of position but it doesnt take away from the flick by pedersen and the quality finish by Bentley

Big Nelly wrote:
    Its not your job on here to tell anyone what they can and can't post about.

It seems that's your job.

I won't get into a slagging match with you Mr. Big Nelly, because frankly I don't know you and I'm sure, in reality, you're a helluva nice guy.

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Fade I have to say he's perfectly within his rights to put up this thread, and it's pretty sour grapes in my opinion to be moaning about it.

Fair play to Blackburn, who were helped by some awful defending. I don't blame Ed for the 2nd goal, as some people seem to. For one i'd imagine he shouted, as one thing I've noticed about him since he joined us is he's very vocal. Secondly, if Rio is claiming he didn't hear a shout, what is he doing heading the ball back, blind, from 10 yards out? Ridiculous defending.

The red card was harsh - first booking was never a booking. Fair enough he injured Savage with the 2nd tackle, but if you watch the challenge again, Savages studs were just as high as Rio's, so does not he deserve a booking too? 50/50 ball, Rio had to go for it. Could understand a yellow, if it were his first yellow, but for a second i felt it was harsh.

All in all some terrible defending last night, Vidic looked all at sea. leaving Park out for the showboating Ronaldo was a terrible decision in my book too.

Still, at least Pool didn't pick up too much ground in the race for 2nd!

Fair enough, apologies to the OP.

He's setting a precedent though.

fade2black wrote:
    Fair enough, apologies to the OP.

He's setting a precedent though.
    Let's face it, if we did the double over Arsenal, Pool, Chelsea, we'd be in doing the same! Football is all about bragging and slagging rights.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    This is a Blackburn thread so if you don't have anythign to say about them then just read or don't but don't start saying someone shouldn't post about them because it upsets you. Get over yourself

And yet you post twice on this thread with no mention of the outcome or the incidents in the game. :rolleyes:

Dictating to people how they can post on a thread.

Ah brotherly love....

And yet you post twice on this thread with no mention of the outcome or the incidents in the game. :rolleyes:

Ah brotherly love....

Didnt see the game so I can't hardly comment on it. Let my bro talk about Blackburn and I will stick to the Shef Wed quotes

Ah brotherly love....
    But if you look at the topic of the post, it's not about the game, now is it. It's about the fact that they did the double over us, and indirectly about the improvement that this shows they're showing.

Well TBH there is no mention of that either.

But if you look at the topic of the post, it's not about the game, now is it. It's about the fact that they did the double over us, and indirectly about the improvement that this shows they're showing.

Yes but if every team were to do that every time they showed improvement or did the double over "The Mighty" Man United, there'd 5 new threads up every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

fade2black wrote:
    Yes but if every team were to do that every time they showed improvement or did the double over "The Mighty" Man United, there'd 5 new threads up every day.

Jeeze i know united were on a slide, but id' no idea they get beaten twice a day by 5 teams.

No wonder they look a little bereft of confidance!

:)

:)

Had a feeling that would come across like that...

...OR showed improvement....

You should also read what the poster said instead of responding to what you thought was said, particlarly the bit about "every time they showed improvement ".

Ah brotherly love....

What does brotherly love have to do with this topic? I didn't see any brothers playing for Man United or Blackburn last night. Phil Neville went to Everton, hadn't you noticed?

Wonderful how you lecture others on making comments in no way related to the game, isn't it ;)
    Originally posted by fade2black
    Had a feeling that would come across like that...

...OR showed improvement....

Who do you support then? Have they beaten Man United home and away this season? Whoever it is, I seriously doubt they have.
    Originally posted by gracehopper
    Fair play to Blackburn,
    They battled hard and worked hard for each other. The truth is that they were gifted 3 goals. 2 by United defending and 1 by thr referee. Lemlin would you feel that "justice" was served now??
    United looked awesome going forward at times but they really let themselves down at the back. VDS was terrible and at fault for bentley's first and for the error with Rio. He should have screamed for that ball. Ferdinand was terrible but was unlucky to be sent off. The first shove on pedersen shouldnt have been a yellow and i feel the ref reacted too quickly to the second tackle because of last weeks carry on in the tunnel at OT. Great game for a neutral but as a United fan i was obviously dissappointed with the result. defending on both sides was very poor. Bentley's third was a class goal, Neville was way out of position but it doesnt take away from the flick by pedersen and the quality finish by Bentley

Gifted a goal by the referee? I've yet to see one source this morning which says that shouldn't of been a penalty. As for the defensive error, Todd repaid it so you can't complain about that.

Funny how in your review of the game you've failed to mention the fact that Saha was a country mile offside for United's first goal.

As I said in my other post about the game, Ferdinand deserved to go for pure stupidity. You don't run into a tackle with your boot up only a minute after tempestuously pushing over one of the opponent's players, in front of the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Robbie Savage is a big girl, i dont think anyone likes the way he acts on a pitch as he is a fake and a cheat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Fair play to Blackburn. As a united fan I have alot of respect for them. Hughes is a footballing genius and Blackburn will only get better and better under him. He knows what it takes to be a champion and you can see that in the players.

I don't think Ferguson can be critisised for not playing Ruud from the start. Saha has finally started showing why Ferguson bought him in the first place. United lost because of Ferdinands howler and Browns brutal performance. Not just the blatant hand ball, but he gave away the free kick that lead to the 1st goal. With all due respect to Blackburn, it was more a case of united lost the game rather than Blackburn won the game (excuse my football terminology!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lemlin wrote:
    Who do you support then? Have they beaten Man United home and away this season? Whoever it is, I seriously doubt they have.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

i was thinking the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

fade2black wrote:

Are we in danger of running out of space or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

Fantastic.

Thats my bragging rights restored for the next 6 months! :D

What were the odds on Blackburn doing the double over united at the beginning of the season?

I think Blackburn have come on leaps and bounds this year. At the start of ther season if someone said we'd be level on points with Arsenal at the start of february, I'd have taken it!

Uefa cup qualification is creeping closer.

X

im sure you's would have taken the final than the double though we always win the important matches something blackburn havent done since the early ninties!

• Advertisement

Nope, I think you got the wrong end of the stick there Lemlin, what I was commenting on was your brother. You know the one who came onto this thread, made some posts about somebody else posting off topic and complaining about same (more or less) without making an on topic post and then said he'd leave the blackburn stuff to you.

The Muppet wrote:
    Are we in danger of running out of space or something ?

True, but a forum full of threads about people saying how good their teams are could get a bit tedious after a while, especially if those threads are inspired by a good run or beating the same team twice in one season. This is just my opinon though, and i'm sure level headed Blackburn supporters will be able to take it on board without having a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

fade2black wrote:
    True, but a forum full of threads about people saying how good their teams are could get a bit tedious after a while, especially if those threads are inspired by a good run or beating the same team twice in one season. This is just my opinon though, and i'm sure level headed Blackburn supporters will be able to take it on board without having a baby.
    The Football Forum tedious? Never.

Touche salesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

*Cough* Egil Ostenstad

Don't believe everything the beeb tells you. And I'm sure you meant "in the Premiership".

• Advertisement

Correct me if I am wrong here Joe, I thought that Ostenstad scored two and one was credited as a Denis Irwin OG.

Dennis Bailey was the last in early 1992 I think. Have a QPR fan in the family dontchaknow.

Bentley was first to score on in prem against them.

Don't believe everything Joe tells you ;)

Correct me if I am wrong here Joe, I thought that Ostenstad scored two and one was credited as a Denis Irwin OG.

Dennis Bailey was the last in early 1992 I think. Have a QPR fan in the family dontchaknow.

Bentley was first to score on in prem against them.

Don't believe everything Joe tells you ;)

Did a google on it and apparently that goal was later taken away from him. He's still credited with a hat-trick in quite a few places, most notably in my head.
    FOOTNOTE: In last week's column, I stated that Dennis Bailey was the last player to score a hat-trick against Manchester United in January 1992. Since then, I have received a few emails saying that Egil Ostenstad scored three against United at the Dell on September 26 1996 and I just wanted to set the record straight. On the night, it was thought that Ostenstad had scored three of Southampton's six goals, but later one of them was taken away and credited as a Dennis Irwin own goal.

http://home.skysports.com/column.asp?hlid=331811&lid=Sky_Sports_Columnist_Martin_Tyler&title=Home+Sweet+Home+-+Tyler
    Don't believe everything Joe tells you/

:D

I'm adding the "dubious goals committee" to my list of enemies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

if someone said we'd be level on points with Arsenal at the start of february, I'd have taken it!

Useless Trivia for ya Arsenal (then called Woolwich Arsenal) and Blackburn Rovers are party to the only ever instance in English league football of two teams in the same division in the same season finishing on exactly the same record, ie both had the exact same number of "games won+lost+drawn+goalsfor+goalsagainst."

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Pigman II wrote:
    Useless Trivia for ya Arsenal (then called Woolwich Arsenal) and Blackburn Rovers are party to the only ever instance in English league football of two teams in the same division in the same season finishing on exactly the same record, ie both had the exact same number of "games won+lost+drawn+goalsfor+goalsagainst."

I'll get my coat.
    How did they decide who finished higher then?

Is that the toss of a coin that decides or is it left as a drawn position if the teams are not qualifying for anything through their position.

Brian017 wrote:

Chuck Norris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Brian017 wrote:

Iirc they were both given 'joint whatever place it was' and then written down in alphabetical order. It was somewhere around midtable so it wasn't like the championship or relegation depended on the outcome.

Each elects their strongest player and they duke it out in the centre circle of a neutral ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Chuck Norris.
    Each elects their strongest player and they duke it out in the centre circle of a neutral ground.
    You can never get a straight answer around here. :rolleyes:

Was already answered. Read the thread then complain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement