Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn do the double over United

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Brian017 wrote:
    You can never get a straight answer around here. :rolleyes:
    Sense of humour? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

:v: Thread of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I watched the whole game live and at half time I was in total shock at the scoreline and the criminal defensive errors Ferdinand and Brown committed which were both punished. Blackburn had 4 shots in the first half, all on target and scored 3 of them. The 4th shot was Pedersens free kick which resulted in a goal anyway when bentley bundled the ball home after VDS saved. Blackburn were not in the game at all and Ferdinand was the most outstanding player on the pitch up until that horror back header, but I can forgive that. What is unforgivable was Browns handball. What was he thinking? It was so unprofessional, there was no danger at all. It was a scuffed cross going straight to VDS and he elects to put both his hands behind his back to try catch the ball, in first half injury time! That peno was the crucial goal of the game, even though Bentleys 3rd was ultimately the difference. Going in at 3-1 down I just knew there was no way back, but they almost pulled it off. I haven't felt so bad about a defeat in a long time. No matter how well we played going forward we deserved to be punished for some absolutely shocking defensive decisions. We can't expect to keep getting away with crap like that.

No way Ferdinand should have been sent off. The ball was there to be won. Pedersen got in there first and knocked it away from both Savage and Ferdinand. Ferdinand actually had his foot in ahead of Savages and then he slipped making it look much worse. Andy todd committed a poor knee high challenge on Richardson in the first half and wasn't booked. I notice that a lot in professional football - players can get away with bad tackles in the first half and then in the second refs start giving out cards like confetti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Image1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

fade2black wrote:
    True, but a forum full of threads about people saying how good their teams are could get a bit tedious after a while, especially if those threads are inspired by a good run or beating the same team twice in one season. This is just my opinon though, and i'm sure level headed Blackburn supporters will be able to take it on board without having a baby.

And I'm still waiting for you to answer my question: who do you support? What's the matter, afraid to say? ;)

At the moment, there are also threads on getting to Chelsea, Liverpool transfer rumours, Robbie Fowler being caught speeding and the fact that the Spurs-Wigan game has been rescheduled. How about you go and call some of those pointless and then come back here?

We're not saying how good our team is. Its for discussion about the team and the result last night. What's the problem with that? It has feckin more to do with football than Robbie Fowler being caught speeding.

For god sake, Peter Crouch got a thread for when he scored, how come you weren't kicking up a fuss then? Doing the double over United is more notable than a striker scoring IMO.

The fact is that the Liverpool supporters were happy to see him score and started a thread. Just like the Blackburn fans were happy to see the team win last night and wanted to talk about that.

I can't see the problem. United and Blackburn are big rivals from the early years of the Premiership. Very few teams do the double over them in a season. Blackburn managed that (a feat that Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool will not this season) and that is why Blackburn fans think it is a notable achievement.
    Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Nope, I think you got the wrong end of the stick there Lemlin, what I was commenting on was your brother. You know the one who came onto this thread, made some posts about somebody else posting off topic and complaining about same (more or less) without making an on topic post and then said he'd leave the blackburn stuff to you.

Nope, I picked it up fine. Fact of the matter is that he wasn't the one who dragged it off-topic. Fade2black was. He was addressing that, like I have above.

Btw, if you have any more Clark Kent and Superman theories, check the IPs from earlier. I was in Sligo and he was in Dublin. That'll put to rest your double account theories.

Christ, you really are irritating.
    lemlin wrote:
    And I'm still waiting for you to answer my question: who do you support? What's the matter, afraid to say?

Man Utd, it's fairly well known around here, why would I be afraid to say?

fade2black wrote:
    Christ, you really are irritating.

Man Utd, it's fairly well known around here, why would I be afraid to say?

That's what I thought :)

Don't worry about it, its easier to call me irritating than address any of the point I just made above ;)

Here's a pointless United thread for ya - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054880923

Its about whether a player should get his place. You can go and complain about pointless threads there.

You only made one rambling point, that there are other pointless threads on the soccer forum. And when you post on them, they become even more pointless.

Image1.jpg

Here's two for you:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=184513&cc=5739
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=185463&cc=5739

Meanwhile, Hughes has come out and defended the team:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=357273&cc=5739

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes has hit back at Sir Alex Ferguson's claim that his side 'foul all the time'.

The United boss made his assertion following Blackburn's 4-3 victory last night.

United's England defender Rio Ferdinand was sent off shortly before full-time following a foul challenge on Robbie Savage - earning his second yellow card - as the Reds' second-half fightback proved futile.

And Ferguson was quick to disparage former United striker Hughes' team's style of play - an issue the Rovers manager had to fight on occasions last season - and also claimed 'they foul all the time'.

But Hughes countered: 'To be perfectly honest, I couldn't understand where Sir Alex was coming from.

'It took a bit of the joy and emotion out of the game for me when I heard the comments.

'I just think Sir Alex, maybe on reflection will change his own personal view on how he actually viewed the game.

'I thought some of his comments were a bit harsh, he highlighted a number of my players as well, which he didn't need to do.'

Ferguson took issue with Ferdinand's dismissal. His foul tackle injured Savage, who left the field on a stretcher.

'Rio did it twice in two minutes while their centre-back Andy Todd committed about 10 fouls in the first half and was not punished,' said the Scot.

But former Wales boss Hughes said: 'I think one of his (Ferguson) comments was he couldn't defend my team - I don't need anyone to defend my team.

'I'm disappointed with those comments.'

Hughes has every right to. Ferguson obviously didn't think much of Blackburn resting RVN. If he had started the Dutchman, it could of been a very different game. Hughes' record against United now is 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss. Not bad considering only 2 of those games were at Ewood.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    You only made one rambling point, that there are other pointless threads on the soccer forum. And when you post on them, they become even more pointless.

Yes, so why don't you go and complain on the United threads? Since you support them. Or even the Arsenal threads? Or the Southampton or Sheffield Wednesday thread and leave this one alone.

Haha...you're like a big child. It's hilarious reading your posts. Please, keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

chiller wrote:
    im sure you's would have taken the final than the double though we always win the important matches something blackburn havent done since the early ninties!

Since when did 1994 and 1995 start counting as the "early" nineties ?

Well if you count 1995 as being the middle of the nineties and everything after being the late nineties...it stands to reason that....

I'd leave him Ricky. Obviously a troll with little to do. Some of the people that are mods on this place amazes me.

Looking forwrad to the Brom game. I'm hoping Bellamy will be back. West Brom are a decent team at home. They've not been doing great at home lately though (lost their last two matches to Villa and Sunderland) but a 2-0 win against Tottenham before that shows their pedigree.

We beat them earlier in the season with two late goals from Kuqi. Hopefully Rovers won't leave it that late again. After the loss against United in the Cup last week, I'm hoping the run of wins we hhad around Christmas can continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

fade2black wrote:
    Well if you count 1995 as being the middle of the nineties and everything after being the late nineties...it stands to reason that....

early to me would be 90,91,92 and possibly at a limit 93.....mid ninties would be 93-96,,,late 90's 97-99....in my mind anywyas :)

• Advertisement

early to me would be 90,91,92 and possibly at a limit 93.....mid ninties would be 93-96,,,late 90's 97-99....in my mind anywyas :)

Aye you could be right...not really important though is it. Blackburn are going too have to scrub up on their consistancy if they're going to serously challenge for trophies again soon. The same can be said of United too unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

fade2black wrote:
    Aye you could be right...not really important though is it. Blackburn are going too have to scrub up on their consistancy if they're going to serously challenge for trophies again soon. The same can be said of United too unfortunately.

not really important now that you have seen you are wrong :D

the way id do it would if you were thinking in terms of early mid and late divide the 90's into 3,

early: 90/91/92
    mid:93/94/95/96
    late: 97/98/99

i think they have been one of the most consistent teams this season, and we have got closer to trophies than many teams this and last season, excluding the league obviously :D

not really important now that you have seen you are wrong :D

the way id do it would if you were thinking in terms of early mid and late divide the 90's into 3,

early: 90/91/92
    mid:93/94/95/96
    late: 97/98/99

i think they have been one of the most consistent teams this season, and we have got closer to trophies than many teams this and last season, excluding the league obviously :D

"The way you see it"....so that means I'm wrong?

And it doesn't matter because whether Blackburn last won the league in the middle or early nineties, it's still 11 years ago.

You Blackburn fans...it must be so sad that the busiest you've been all season is the three matches that you've played against us.

fade2black wrote:
    "The way you see it"....so that means I'm wrong?

And it doesn't matter because whether Blackburn last won the league in the middle or early nineties, it's still 16 years ago.

You Blackburn fans...it must be so sad that the busiest you've been all season is the three matches that you've played against us.

And its quite sad that you call yourself a United 'fan' but have made little or no reference to the game.

Its 11 years ago by the way. You should visit a Maths teacher.

And we've played four games against United this year. You must follow United in the loose sense of the world.

;) Enjoyed that didn't ya.

11 years indeed...how could I forget :p...will fix it right away sir.

...but I have to hold my hand up to ya and admit that I was just referring to the last three games.

And Mr. Lemlin, the reason I haven't referred to the game is because that belongs in the game thread. This is merely the Hooray for Blackburn thread.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    ;) Enjoyed that didn't ya.

11 years indeed...how could I forget :p...will fix it right away sir.

...but I have to hold my hand up to ya and admit that I was just referring to the last three games.

And Mr. Lemlin, the reason I haven't referred to the game is because that belongs in the game thread. This is merely the Hooray for Blackburn thread.

How about you hold your hand up and admit that you know little or nothing about football? That'd make me happier.

I don't see any posts from you over on the game thread either. Did you even watch the game? Can you even name United's starting 11?

Stick to the horses.

I won't drag this out anymore Lemlin because frankly it's just getting a little childish. You think I know nothing about football, that's fair enough nut you should probably look back at all the posts that I've made in the soccer forum before you tie yourself to that opinion.

I can't argue with children all night. Take care now, and good luck with that Fantasy football team ;)

fade2black wrote:
    I won't drag this out anymore Lemlin because frankly it's just getting a little childish. You think I know nothing about football, that's fair enough nut you should probably look back at all the posts that I've made in the soccer forum before you tie yourself to that opinion.

I can't argue with children all night. Take care now, and good luck with that Fantasy football team ;)

Well I think I have fair ground in my opinion:

1. You think United and Blackburn played 3 times this season, despite the fact that any decent supporter would know they've played 4. After all, the fact that Blackburn beat United in Old Trafford earlier in the season has been all over the papers the last few weeks with the semi-final games.
    2. More importantly, you think 1995 was 16 years and Blackburn won the Premiership then. Blackburn weren't even in the First Division 16 years ago, and seeing as it was the First Division, it would of been pretty hard for them to win the Premiership.

We all make errors but those are as schoolboy as Ferdinand's and Todd's last night.

You claim to be a United fan but can't even comment on the game, which leads me to believe you haven't even seen it.

Ok last post to ya, it really is like arguing with my 6 year old nephew

Firstly, what I said was, the busiest you Blackburn posters have been all season is the three times you've played us, meaning this little busy period that we're in at the moment. Fair enough if you didn't understand me the first time, easy mistake to make. But then I said it again, just to reiterate....here..i'll quote it for ya...
    me wrote:
    I was just referring to the last three games.

Ok next, yes indeed I made a mathimatical error, how silly of me, I said that Blackburn last won the league 16 years ago. I corrected myself there too, but anyway...more of a numerical error than a lack of footballing knowledge methinks.

and then there's
    Lemlin wrote:
    You claim to be a United fan but can't even comment on the game, which leads me to believe you haven't even seen it.

Now where did this come from? I've actually seen the match twice, including live last night. But what relevance does this have? You spent last night commenting on everything that was happening in the matches 15 minutes after they happened.

But again I stress to you kiddo, this is not the match thread, this is the Horray for Blackburn thread, why would I comment about the game in here. And also, why do I have to comment about the game? I commented plenty to the people I was watching with last night.

Is there anything else?

fade2black wrote:
    Ok last post to ya, it really is like arguing with my 6 year old nephew

Firstly, what I said was, the busiest you Blackburn posters have been all season is the three times you've played us, meaning this little busy period that we're in at the moment. Fair enough if you didn't understand me the first time, easy mistake to make. But then I said it again, just to reiterate....here..i'll quote it for ya...

Ok next, yes indeed I made a mathimatical error, how silly of me, I said that Blackburn last won the league 16 years ago. I corrected myself there too, but anyway...more of a numerical error that a lack of footballing knowledge methinks.

and then there's

Now where did this come from? I've actually seen the match twice, including live last night. But what relevance does this have? You spent last night commenting on everything that was happening in the matches 15 minutes after they happened.

But again I stress to you kiddo, this is not the match thread, this is the Horray for Blackburn thread, why would I comment about the game in here. And also, why do I have to comment about the game? I commented plenty to the people I was watching with last night.

Is there anything else?

First off, dismissing someone with terms like "kiddo" and likening them to your nephew, because you have no better point to make, works in real life IF the person is younger than you, but not over the internet. I could be 90 for all you know.

As explained, I was completing some work last night and that's why I was late with my comments. That hardly shows I have a lack of knowledge about football though.

I've seen plenty of Blackburn posters like myself and Rickylovesuall and Corben Dallas often on this board. Have you a problem with us? We've posted plenty of topics in the past. Do a search if you want to read up on Blackburn. I even made one on the first day of the season when we lost 3-1 to West Ham. You can label that the "boos for Blackburn" thread if you like.

My last point is that you've made numerous threads about Blackburn fans talking about the match, yet you have nothing to add to the debate yourself except cheap shots about how many posts we make. If you want to join in the debate about the game, then do.

Nobody said this was an hooray for Blackburn thread. You seem to think it is. People on here have been discussing the game (that's what this forum is for, discussing football). You don't seem to want to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think one of the problems for United now is that there's so many ex-players and coaching staff managing Premiership teams. Mark Hughes, Brian Robson, Steve Bruce and Steve McLaren all know Ferguson's tactics and tricks and are better equipped to cancel them out. It would be interesting to see what kind of record United have against teams where former players are in charge, compared to other Premiership sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Here lads this has just turned into a personal argument and its going nowhere.

Ok Lemlin, let's make a deal...this is the last we'll say about it okay? The reason I call you kiddo, and like you to my 6 year old nephew is because you're posting like someone's 6 year old nephew.

You're repeating yourself constantly and making the same arguments over and over again.

Seriously now Mr. Lemlin (that better?) this IS the last time.
    Lemlin wrote:
    As explained, I was completing some work last night and that's why I was late with my comments. That hardly shows I have a lack of knowledge about football though.

It shows it as much as me saying 16 years instead of 11 in error, or me not posting about the match in this thread. Ya see Mr. Lemlin, you've told me that I know nothing about football, and this is what you based it on.
    Lemlin wrote:
    I've seen plenty of Blackburn posters like myself and Rickylovesuall and Corben Dallas often on this board. Have you a problem with us? We've posted plenty of topics in the past. Do a search if you want to read up on Blackburn. I even made one on the first day of the season when we lost 3-1 to West Ham. You can label that the "boos for Blackburn" thread if you like.

I haven't got a problem with those guys at all, nor have I got a problem with Blackburn, in fact if you actually read all of my posts you would see that they were a club that I admire, (I especially have a lot of admiration for one Tony Parkes, midfield maestro and decent manager too). My point from the start has always been about threads starting up just because a team is playing well or they beat another team twice in one season....I think you yourself would tire of seeing these type of threads (by the way, you forgot to mention the OP in that little fan ensemble you listed there).
    Lemlin wrote:
    My last point is that you've made numerous threads about Blackburn fans talking about the match, yet you have nothing to add to the debate yourself except cheap shots about how many posts we make. If you want to join in the debate about the game, then do.

Ya see, look at ya repeating yourself again. How many times do I have to say this before you'll understand. I've only made points about Blackburn fans starting this thread. I haven't made numerous threads at all, in fact I've made none, what I have done is made some posts in this thread, most of which have been in response to your babbling. And again I say to you, this thread is not for a debate on the match, the match thread is there for that. It really seems like you just post what you think, ignore my reply, and then post the same thing again.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Nobody said this was an hooray for Blackburn thread. You seem to think it is. People on here have been discussing the game (that's what this forum is for, discussing football). You don't seem to want to do so.

I should hope not, I made up that little ditty, because that's what it is.
    Fantastic.

Thats my bragging rights restored for the next 6 months!

What were the odds on Blackburn doing the double over united at the beginning of the season?

I think Blackburn have come on leaps and bounds this year. At the start of ther season if someone said we'd be level on points with Arsenal at the start of february, I'd have taken it!

Uefa cup qualification is creeping closer.

And you're right, this forum is for discussing football, but the Wednesday Night Football thread was for discussing the match, not this one.

Earlier on in this thread everyone disagreed with me when I provided a dissenting voice about the motivations for this thread. I apologised to the OP and went on about my business. I had made my point and that was that. but then you came along.

Mr. Lemlin as Mr. Joe Soap says, this really isn't going anywhere, so let's leave it where it belongs, in the annals of soccer forum history....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some thread this is :rolleyes:

Stop the petty argument lads its going no where!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Did we decide whose dad is bigger then?

• Advertisement

I've dropped it. Fact is, there are threads about Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, Leeds, Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal on this board, to name just a few.

Blackburn fans have every right to start threads too, whether others see them as pointless or not.

Now back to the pressing news. Well done to the team today on securing the new sponsorship deal. Apparently, its because of the huge amount of interest in Blackburn in Scandinavia, where Bet24.com originate.

It looks like a certain Norwegian winger isn't just helping Blackburn on the pitch ;)

If we keep moving up the table, more deals like this can arrive and hopefully Hughes will get more money to dabble in the transfer market. After all, Savage and Tugay aren't getting any younger, and we still need a left back and, arguably, a right midfielder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lemlin wrote:
    Now back to the pressing news. Well done to the team today on securing the new sponsorship deal. Apparently, its because of the huge amount of interest in Blackburn in Scandinavia, where Bet24.com originate.

Leeds have also signed a Sponsorship deal with bet24 today. Not surprising as Leeds have always had a huge following in Scandanavia where there are numerous supporters clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Well Done Blackburn!
    05/06 Season Doubles
    Blackburn 6pts
    ManU 0pts
    :D

LOL at teh comment "ManUtd lost it rather than Blackburn winning it..."
    Man Utd fan in denial? :D

The double is significant because ManU are a top team and to get a 'double' over one of the top 4 prem teams is a major result, Mark Hughes is doing an outstanding Job at Ewood. Blackburn are becoming ManU's 'bogey' team.

With a little more of a run in the Premiership, Europe looks very likely.

It really has been a good few days in soccer, beat ManU 4-3 and then Newcastle sacks Souness. :)

Souness for England! LOL :D

Advertisement