Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desmond (Spoilers if you haven't seen 2x01)

• 02-02-2006 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭

I watched the first two episodes of season 2 again last night and for the first time the thought occured to me that following his conversation with Jack, Desmond "fixed" Sarah.

After performing the surgery, Jack goes to do the 'Tour de Stad', he meets Desmond for the first time and they have the "What are you running from...?" conversation. It turns out that Desmond was training to become a doctor and gave it for something else. Jack tells him the story of Sarah and says he failed to fix her.

"But what if you did fix her?"
    "I didn't, that would be a miracle."

Desmond says something about needing to believe in order for a miracle to happen. Was he speaking from experience? Maybe Desmond believing was enough for the miracle to happen. Jack then returns to the hospital to find Sarah has had a miraculous recovery. It's not the first time something like this has happened on the show - in the pilot episode Locke miraculously regained the use of his legs.

I am now of the belief that Desmond is 'special' and that is why he was brought to the island.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

But Dessie was in the hatch and knew nothing of the lost dudes. So how could he have healed Lockes legs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

There is no evidence that Desmond is responsible for Locke's recovery. He didn't heal Locke, the island did. But Sarah on the other hand it's more than coincidence that he suggests if you believe in miracles they can happen and lo and behold, the cripple gets to dance at her wedding. Jack was adamant that he had failed and the surgery had not worked, from what we've seen of him he's more than a little anally retentive when it comes to fixing people so if he says her spinal column is too badly damaged then it's too badly damaged. Desmond was the one who suggested the miracle and it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

all of this was discussed ages ago when the episode was first shown. Nothing new here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

should the name Desmond be in the thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I was watching 1x05 again last night, and I thought there was an interesting parallel when Locke advises Jack to go looking for his father in the jungle. Jack says something along the lines of "I'd say I was hallucinating due to dehydration, and lack of sleep", and Locke replies "But what if you weren't?"

I thought the way he said it sounded suspiciously like Desmond. In the same episode, Hurley also calls Jack "brother", but I reckon thats probably clutching at straws. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement