Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wierd computer in glass room

• 02-02-2006 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

Oh my god, have you seen the computer (i think it is anyway) in the glass room on the third floor of the LRC. It looks like some sort of alien or something and its freakin massive.
    Hopefully we can get this put into 307. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fear the reaper

Wow! I've just seen it. its a big black beast of a thing. No way can this be a pc. It has to be some kind of server or something. I think there is somekind of alien head on it. Not sure though couldn't get a good look at it.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

its a alienware area 51 series. costs bout $800, might be custom hardware, i know coz down in cork, theres a gaming cafe and they have about 40 of them there, all alienware. the place is called area 51 so im gussin its a area51 series. its prob just one of the tech's pc, duno y the college would need one. its only for gaming like or people who like to waste money. my mate took out a 6000grand loan from the bank n custom ordered a 5500grand alienware. it broke after a few weeks, i laughed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah saw it too. i think its the cleaner guys latest contraption for making noise and annoying students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

probably bought it for the games course tbh since the college has a permanent hardon for that course. The pc is nothing special though, alienware pc's have nice cases but are really over the top on price.

What kinda ejit would spend 5500 on a pc btw tom_ass. Totally Insane, I would laugh and laugh and then laugh some more at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

how is the games dev course doing? whats the drop out rate like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

elvis2002 wrote:
    What kinda ejit would spend 5500 on a pc btw tom_ass. Totally Insane, I would laugh and laugh and then laugh some more at him.
    He didn't spend 5500 on a pc, he spent 5500 grand, which is like a bagillion euros.

Why the hell would comp servies want an alienware though, I thought they still used dell machines, If anything I'd expect them to use a dell xps or whatever they are called.

maybe someone read the reviews about the xps(hite) in comp services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Still not as good as the A-Team Server though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

how is the games dev course doing? whats the drop out rate like?

I'm in the games course and the dropout rate seems to be quite high. We started the year at like 58 and now we're down to about 48 and falling. There are alot of people who only turn up once every 2 weeks. I'd say by next year the number will be half. Tbh, its a very difficult course.

On topic, as said before, Alienware's are a complete waste of money, unless you're going to get one of their laptops. Completely overpriced for what you're getting. You're better off building you're own, twice the power for half the price.

whats hard about it exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

elvis2002 wrote:
    whats hard about it exactly?

Well if you are extremely good at maths, you wouldnt find it too difficult, but anyone who's average at maths will find it very hard. THe maths we do is of a pretty high standard. All of our subjects involve maths in some way or another.

There are also alot of projects to be done. We get programming projects one after the other. Theres alot of work involved in them. Dont get me wrong though, I'm still loving it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Meh welcome to the "normal" collage students life :D

was talking to a guy in the computer games course, he was telling me that they have about 20 or so alienwares in the college. all for their course like. hhmmmm me thinks compsoc should steal them all,haha....it'll work, oh it'll work alright....u up for it balkie,haha....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Hmmm.... you work out the finer details and we'll have a plan!

Though we could just use the a201 lab as they're good enuf to try what we have :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Lol yeah we have 37 for our course for 3/4 years, so we wont get to touch them for a few years yet. By which time they will probably be no good. Lol.

Nice looking PC though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

where are they(computers)???
    there are no 3rd/4th years of your course yet???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

But there are 2nd years and they start that next year....its for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

makes no sense. they should stick them out on the 3rd level of the LRC until then. ;)

haha. so true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

ahemmm... this is teh right thread isnt it?
    on teh topic of the "weird ps's" they are of course alienware, they are made for enhanced gaming.
    there are between 20 and 30 of em in teh college and they were bought for the games course (yay)
    unfortunatly we might not get using them till next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

so its been pointed out but thanks for last weeks imput, sorry i'm only joking.

why not till next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Wow, good contribution, Diane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

whos diane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

the most likely reason is they dont have room for them in a classroom at the moment but there may be others :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

i thought that was part of the server thingie but either way i dont think the techs will allow it anywhere else but there, damn them, damn them to hell

Advertisement