Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Souness Gone - contract terminated by NUFC

• 02-02-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking News: Newcastle have terminated his contract.
    They'll have to pay him out.
    Who's next up for the poisoned chalice?
    Sam Allerdyce is rumoured....
    Perhaps Sven after the WC?

Seems the fans wanted it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭Trampas

He is finally gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

About time too, he was useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

good riddence.He has been brutal at newcastle.Sure look how well blackburn are doing now as well without him.He just just retire as he has a dodgy ticker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i can't believe he lasted til now...happy days for newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Defcon 5

And its costing Freddy Shepard £5 million to buy his contract out!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Not really a shock is it. He was a great player but he is an absolutely dire manager. If he ever gets another job as a manager the chairman of that club should be shot. Actually Souness I here Sven's job is up for grabs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd say that almost all Newcastle fans will be glad to see the back of him. He was only a part of the problem at Newcastle, but he was still the biggest and easiest to remove part.

The one group of people who must be laughing at all of this are the Blackburn fans. They replaced a manager who wes dragging them down with one who is sorting them out and got compensated in the bargain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Lol Souness for England! :p

Curbs to replace him, he was making noises at the start of the season he might leave and Rangers looked like his destination. Was a lot of rumours he had a deal with Rangers to go there but they never sacked McLeish(sp).

Can't see Big Sam moving, he is after the England job, before Souness made a mess of thinsg Steve Bruce was the target but he is not doing well this season so that prob rules him out. Best bets would be Curbs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah no surprises there, he is an absolutely awful manager. He has got to be one of the worst man-managers out there, he is constantly having arguents with his players and causing unrest among the squad. As was said I cant believe he lasted this long because Newcastle have been getting worse despite the huge amunt of money that Sounes has spent on new players.

I would say Newcastle supporters are delighted this morning, and so they should be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

"The Beast" will probably go back to Rangers I reckon

Newcastle caretaker manager Glenn Roeder will be assisted by club captain Alan Shearer following the departure of Graeme Souness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

does this mean that newcastle wont go down now? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

All I can say is, thank fook the FAI have our new manager in place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Glenn Roeder is in temporary charge with Shearer as his assistant
    Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has been sacked and temporarily replaced by Glenn Roeder and Alan Shearer for the match against Portsmouth.

The Magpies have won only one point in six Premiership matches and are only six points above the relegation zone.

A statement on the club's website read: "The employment of Graeme Souness has been terminated with immediate effect."

Souness, 52, took charge of Newcastle in September 2004 after Sir Bobby Robson was sacked.

His 16-month tenure at St James' Park was a rollercoaster ride.

With only 36 victories in his 83 matches, the pressure was almost always on Souness - and the 3-0 defeat by Manchester City on Wednesday proved the final straw.

Magpies fans protested at the match by displaying a 'Souness Out' banner during their side's woeful display at Eastlands.

But Souness vowed to stay on, saying: "I am not a quitter and will not quit."

For much of his reign, Souness was hampered by injuries to key players - but he also spent over £47m on players.

The biggest arrival was that of England striker Michael Owen.

However, he also became another on the club's treatment table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

does this mean they wont go down now?? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Sam Allardyce said early in the season when he was being linked to a job, something like:

"I'm flattered, but I'm very happy to be at Bolton. It would take a club like Chelsea, ManU or Newcastle for me to even think about leaving"

I remember thinking it was very strange that he used Newky, rather than say Arsenal or Liverpool. Of course with Sven gone maybe he has set his sights higher, but I dont think there's any chance the FA would give him that job.

Sam Allardyce said early in the season when he was being linked to a job, something like:

"I'm flattered, but I'm very happy to be at Bolton. It would take a club like Chelsea, ManU or Newcastle for me to even think about leaving"

I remember thinking it was very strange that he used Newky, rather than say Arsenal or Liverpool. Of course with Sven gone maybe he has set his sights higher, but I dont think there's any chance the FA would give him that job.
    Did he really say that? Hmmm....interesting. I suppose Newcastle are a pretty big team with a lot of support and they should definitely be doing a lot better than they are at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Not shocked at all....

What'e more shocking is how he keeps getting these big jobs.... He has ruined yet another team....

He should start in the conference and work his way up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Put yer money on Shearer for the full time job in the summer!

X

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I wonder could Shearer be a possible condidate for the permanent job? Anybody know if he has started doing his coaching badges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I've always said it. Souness is a joke. Hopefully he'll disappear into the lower leagues now, never to be heard of again. That, or give him the Rangers job :)

The only problem would be that he'd have no-one to sign players for extortionate fees from ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

Lemlin wrote:
    I've always said it. Souness is a joke. Hopefully he'll disappear into the lower leagues now, never to be heard of again. That, or give him the Rangers job :)

The only problem would be that he'd have no-one to sign players for extortionate fees from ;)

well said lemlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

glad he was sacked, yet an other premiership club ruined by souness!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,m not surprised he got the chop at last. Shearer would be the obvious choice to succeed him but there may be a few manageres interested in the post. Newcastle are a hugh club and Souness has made some excellent buys. On paper they have a really good group of players , pity for newcastle fans that Souness could not make a team out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wouldn't go as far as to say Newcastle are ruined, theyve a decent squad. Should never have got rid of Sir Bobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You were right about Souness Lemlin. Where's Jivin Turkey now eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

what a complete fnuckup by Newcastle, Souness should have been let go before the transfer window opened so anyone coming into the job could at least try and bring in some of their own players. It would not surprise me if they struggled to the end of the season now, they could still go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

how about sven for the job,think it is a strong possiblity,might be worth a punt at 8 to 10-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

county wrote:
    how about sven for the job,think it is a strong possiblity,might be worth a punt at 8 to 10-1

Good shout but not not until after the World Cup I'd say.

• Advertisement

county wrote:

With Beckham to join as well womder what the odds are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

He has been a tad unlucky with injuries. If Owen, Emre and Parker had been fit throughout, I've no doubt they'd be up with the likes of Blackburn and Bolton, thus still in with a chance of Europe and an outside chance of the CL.

He has made some very good buys, and IMO leaves them with a better squad than was there when he arrived. However he has absolutely failed to solve their defensive problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

what a complete fnuckup by Newcastle, Souness should have been let go before the transfer window opened so anyone coming into the job could at least try and bring in some of their own players. It would not surprise me if they struggled to the end of the season now, they could still go down.
    Agreed, absolute madness to sack a manager two days after the transfer window has closed.

They won't go down though. Sunderland already have the bottom relegation place sewn up. I think West Brom should take another with Brum/Portsmouth battling for the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Good shout but not not until after the World Cup I'd say.
    yes he will not leave till after the world cup,and i dont think newcastle will be in a hurry to appoint a new manager,maybe there aim is to see out the season and not go down,then they have a better chance of picking the right man for the job,imo of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Nelly wrote:
    With Beckham to join as well womder what the odds are?

Beckham wouldn't go to Newcastle, too far from the bright lights down sarffffffffffffff!

Not unless he ditched [strike]his baggage[/strike] Victoria...

Beckham wouldn't go to Newcastle, too far from the bright lights down sarffffffffffffff!

Not unless he ditched [strike]his baggage[/strike] Victoria...
    Yeah the Newcastle fans wouldn't want a 'Soft Sudern Poof' playing for them.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Souness Gone - contract terminated by NUFC
    I think I need my eyes checked. At first glance I rather optimistically read that as "Souness terminated by NUFC."

Haha! Now some of you premiership fans can begin to worry if hes coming to your club when the manager merry-go-round begins in earnest! TBH wouldn't even wish him on Shels :)

I notice the knives are finally out for McCarthy at Sunderland. He should get a t-shirt with "Well at least I'm not Souey" written on the back. Who knows, might keep his backside out of the baconslicer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

am disappointed he's gone :p
    against city it amazed me how bad they were

whoever hires him again should get a right slap
    i think its even comical that newcastle hired him when blackburn looked set to sack him pretty soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Pigman II wrote:
    At first glance I rather optimistically read that as "Souness terminated by NUFC."

you mean 'terminated', in the 'i'll be back' sense of the word? :)
    and i doubt souness would ever manage ireland, remember that hatred he has? :p
    rangers and him could get along, but it would turn the SPL into a 2 horse race again...celtic and hearts :D

on one hand mccarthy is a premiership joke, but i think they did well in the championship last year, this in accordance with realistic expectations has given him a bit longer. i think they should get rid of him though.

eyerer wrote:
    rangers and him could get along, but it would turn the SPL into a 2 horse race again...celtic and hearts :D
    :D

eyerer wrote:
    on one hand mccarthy is a premiership joke, but i think they did well in the championship last year, this in accordance with realistic expectations has given him a bit longer. i think they should get rid of him though.
    Well if they gave him some money to spend he might have a better chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BaZmO* wrote:

I doubt it.;)

• Advertisement

You were right about Souness Lemlin. Where's Jivin Turkey now eh?

Taking down his shrine to Souness I'd imagine. Let's not forget though, lads:

"One bad season doesn't discount a decade of success" - Jivin Turkey.

One bad season indeed. He wasn't even good enough to get a full season with Newcastle. Despite inheriting a team that had finished 5th in the PL the season before and spending a further 50 million on them.

Souness, himself, came out with a classic almost as good as Jivin's last weekend:
    Boumsong will prove himself to be one of the best defenders in the World Cup this Summer. I'll buy you dinner if that's not correct.

Course he will Graeme. At least he has his reported 5 million pay off to buy all those meals ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

that only makes me think more that sven will get the job in the summer, sure souness wasnt given any more money to spend in the window was he?

im delighted he has gone, im a blackburn fan, i think he can be tactically good at times, but where he falls down is in his man management, he seems to hate the fact that some players are "bigger" than him, dunn, cole, yorke, bellamy, robert - to name a few.

hope he never gets a job again. have to say though he was an amazing player - newcastle should think about that before trying anything permanent with shearer - its not easy to make the cross over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

BaZmO* wrote:

Totally agree with you there. practically not a penny given to him.
    Wigan and West Ham both spent big this season in an effort to stay up.

I'm sure if he had the chance to sign a few premiership quality players he would be doing much better.

evilhomer wrote:
    Totally agree with you there. practically not a penny given to him.
    Wigan and West Ham both spent big this season in an effort to stay up.

I'm sure if he had the chance to sign a few premiership quality players he would be doing much better.

That was another funny thing. Souness complaining during the transfer window that Shepherd wouldn't give him any money.

For god's sake Graeme, I think he realised you'd fooked up enough with 50 million, let alone giving you more.

The funniest thing was who he apparently wanted to sign. Nicolas Anelka. I can imagine him and Graeme would get on swimmingly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Lemlin wrote:
    "One bad season doesn't discount a decade of success" - Jivin Turkey.
    And lets think back those ten years

Two years with Galatasaray - Two 2nd place finishes and a cup win. Not bad.
    One year with Southampton - Safe going into the last day of the season for the first time in years, playing smashing football. Scoring loads of goals. Not bad.
    Torino for a few months - Bit of a weird scenario, left after only three months. Not good.
    Two years with Benfica - Two 2nd place finishes. Couldn't break Porto's monopoly. Not bad though.
    Four years with Blackburn - Brought from mid-table Div1 to European qualification through the league, an amazing achievment. He won a league cup too. Finished his spell badly unfortunately, but still a good job overall.
    One year with Newcastle - A team requiring surgery, poor league performance but distracted by two excellent cup runs (semis of both UEFA and FA). Not a great start to this year.

So in summary the only bad jobs he has done over the last ten years are Torino (for a few months) and.................actually that is all.

Newcastle did poorly in the league last year but he was trying to mould his team. They had two excellent cup runs and were in contention for Europe too until two players decided to go at each other on the pitch against Villa starting a run of 6 losses on the bounce.

This year Newcastle have been stuttering. Injuries have played a big factor, but it's blatantly obvious that some of the players are not good enough. Souness hasn't addressed this and has ultimately paid the price.

Still though, overall it is a bit much to say Newcastle are in disaray. They are in a much better position than they were when he took over. They have some cracking players. I bet once the new manager gets everyone fit that they will begin to do very well, just as I'd bet Souness would have done if he had a fit squad.

Souness was not the problem at Newcastle, it goes far far deeper. Which will probably be proven when Shepard goes and appoints SGE in the Summer.

Overall though you can't say Souness was great for them in fairness. He was hardly shocking though. So that makes two poor jobs out of six over a decade.

So yes I would consider his decade to be successful still Lemlin.

He has been a tad unlucky with injuries. If Owen, Emre and Parker had been fit throughout, I've no doubt they'd be up with the likes of Blackburn and Bolton, thus still in with a chance of Europe and an outside chance of the CL.

He has made some very good buys, and IMO leaves them with a better squad than was there when he arrived. However he has absolutely failed to solve their defensive problems.
    I agree with this 100%.

Maybe it's the best decision. But the fact that the board would sack their second manager in a row at the most inopportune time (close of the window) indicates their incompetence. The sooner the likes of Shepard and co are out the better for Newcastle IMO.

So that makes two poor jobs out of six over a decade.

Yes but another way of looking at it is that if he actually was a good (in all aspects of the word) manager then he probably wouldn't have had 6 jobs in a decade.

Pigman II wrote:
    Yes but another way of looking at it is that if he actually was a good (in all aspects of the word) manager then he probably wouldn't have had 6 jobs in a decade.

Well said. He had the misfortune of injuries but, and I'll go back to this point, how many of those were down to his own poor conditioning and training of players?

How, also, does he leave Newcastle in a better position than when he arrived? He arrived four games into a season where, though they'd lost a few games alright, they had come 5th the year before and were in the UEFA Cup. He had plenty of time to turn that around as, if my memory serves me right, Newcastle were usually slow starters under Robson. Souness went on to lead them to their worst Premiership position AFAIK.

He now leaves them langushing above relegation, with a lack of motivation and out of Europe, with little or no chance of qualification. Can't see the improvement there myself. The exact opposite is what I see actually.

Pigman II wrote:
    Lowe is notorious for the merry-go-round. I'd wager no team in England has the same managerial turnover as Southampton. And this is a small side that has been relegated for the first time in years only last season.

Three of his other jobs were with foreign clubs. Torino are another club notorious for the chop. Benfica and Galatasaray are both big clubs that will change regularly unless doubles are being won. He had to leave Galatasaray for non-footballing reasons.

Whether he was about to be sacked or not, he left Blackburn of his own accord for a bigger club.

How many jobs has Jose Mourinho had in the last five years? Three is it? So does your theory equate to him not being any good?

How many jobs has Jose Mourinho had in the last five years? Three is it? So does your theory equate to him not being any good?

Mourinho traded up with each job. Can you say Souness was going places with the same momentum? The two biggest clubs he managed were his first 2 and he's spent the last 12 years or so playing catch-up whilst leaving a trail of destruction, bruised egos and broken bodies in his wake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement