Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant suggestions for windowless room

Options
  • 02-02-2006 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hi my bathroom has no window/ no natural light (extraction system )

Is there anyy plant Icould have there that wouldn't mind the mostly constant darkness?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

hmm........
    A "Boston Fern" or better still, a "dallas fern" (if you can find one) would prolly work, altho with ANY plant in that situation, you ARE gonna have to take it out of the bathroom at least once a week an give it full sun for a day.

"Kentia Palm" *might* also be a good choice........

My recomendations (for what they are worth lol) are.........

Boston or Dallas Fern. (Tho, a lot of ferns can tolerate low light)

dracenas (sp?) often called "dragon tree" are available in pretty much everywhere from supermarkets to garden centers for a few quid, are damned hard to kill also.

Philodendron are also pretty hardy in bad conditions.

Aspidisdra (AKA: Cast Iron Plant) is also good choice.

Devils Ivy -(Only grow up a pole as *will* need to be able to lift it remember).

There is also a plant commonly known as "Mother In Laws Tongue", you have probably seen it, looks almost cactus like, large spikes of green and yellow in a pot basically, virtually impossible to kill.

Remember tho, as with all plants in low light, you WILL have to give them SOME light from time to time.

Oh! and remember, with ALL bathroom plants, water VERY little, the humidity usually means they barely need much, I have been very succesful in the past averaging with about half / to three quaters of a mug of water each pot every month.
    Hope some of that helps :)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Mother-in-Law's tongue (a member of the Aloe family IIRC) needs constant bright light - although as pointed out, if you gave it a bit of a 'sun holiday' on a regular basis it'd probably be okay.

Also trailing ivy would be okay, although if you get a variagated variety it will probably lose its variagation eventually due to lack of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Hope some of that helps

Sure does

I kinda worry though about "mistreating" the poor plant, depriving it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I'd say Ivy is your best bet - otherwise have you considered a plastic one? You can get quite real looking ones nowadays - entirely guilt-free :D

Mother-in-Law's tongue (a member of the Aloe family IIRC) needs constant bright light -

I would have thought so too, but my aunt has one growing in a windowless bathroom and it is *thriving*!
    All *she* does is water it very little and put it in front of the patio window once a month for 24 hours :)

I will say tho' without doing that *nothing* will survive in there, cept plastic plants & black mould lol :p

Another consideration tho is air quality (no obvious jokes plz :rolleyes:) and temp changes, does it get very cold / hot? Does anyone ever smoke in there? Whats the ventilation like and is it on 24/7?

b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭sudzs

You cruel cruel person to even consider putting a plant through a long slow tortorous death. Get a plastic one!

sudzs wrote:
    You cruel cruel person to even consider putting a plant through a long slow tortorous death. Get a plastic one!

:rolleyes:
    Get a grip, since when is making sure a plant STAYS ALIVE in difficult circumstances "cruel"
    For yer own mental health sake, i do hope your joking lol, if not, well im sorry but much as I love plants, they are *NOT* capable of being treated "cruely"..... amateurishly yes, "cruely" nope.

(Why do I get the feeling Im about to be pointed to some bizzarre research.......... "only exists on the net" type "research" :rolleyes: )

b

Advertisement