Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Money Money.....

Options
  • 02-02-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

SO how much money have you spent to acquire all your current hunting/shooting gear??

Between my brother and I we have.
    Beretta semi auto 12ga
    Fabarm side by side 12ga
    sako .270 with Simmons scope
    BSA hornet 30ft/lbs .22 air rifle and a budget scope.
    Logun Mk II pro 12ft/lb .22 air rifle with a newly acquired Bushnell scope thanks to Crosshair
    Shooting jackets, wellies, waders, dogs, gun belts, decoys and I think that's about it!!!!

If I was to guess how much everything cost I'd say about 7200 euro which in fairness isn't as bad as I though it was going to be. So lets see your lists and then I'll also know who to ask about certain shooting topics depending on what you have on your lists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hmm. £5000 (approx) for the gear in Germany in 2001. Anschutz 2002CA air rifle, 2013/690 .22 rifle, custom shooting suit, shooting glasses, boots, gloves, sights, stand, bag, and all the little bits and pieces that go with them. Plus a new centra rear iris and a new Kurt Thune glove. All told, plus inflation and conversion, I'd guess around the seven grand mark in euro. I'm still repaying the loan!

DSCF1271.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

In matters such as this, ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks I am impressed, that's some pricey gear! I'd love to geta photo like that of all our stuff

The next lot won't be half as dear Veg :D

DSCF2668.JPG

Total cost approximately 300 euro including licence :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

In my case,too much spent,and not enough time to use it all.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I'd say I'm in to the tune of about £3000stg :eek:

Anschutz 2013/690 + sights plus all the bits I can throw at it :D
    Glock 17, c-more sight carver mount
    Anschutz 1413
    Shooting suit and accessories too numerous to name nor remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

The money part not that much.

The time and effort part is the biggest price I've paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

.22 Browning A-bolt & simmmons scope e350
    .22 Sako FinnFire Range & Leopold scope e1850
    Ruger 10/22 ,red dot and rail e460
    Feinwerkbau AW93 e1600
    Prone mat, sling, handstop e350
    Glasses, e360
    Safes, e350
    Alarms 2kplus!

and way too much on petro and diesel to count

Anyone know of a cheap hobby?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

So far i have spent..
    Remington700Vssf .220swift €1550.00
    Schmidt & Bender 3x12x42 Iluminative €1475.00
    Remington700Vssf .308win mag €1750.00
    Schmidt & Bender 3x12x50 Illuminative €1650.00
    Winchester SuperX3 12ga 12 shot €1150.00
    Lamping Equipment €750.00
    Harris bipod €150.00

Total €8475.00:D

TomBeckett wrote:
    So far i have spent..
    Remington700Vssf .220swift €1550.00
    Schmidt & Bender 3x12x42 Iluminative €1475.00
    Remington700Vssf .308win mag €1750.00
    Schmidt & Bender 3x12x50 Illuminative €1650.00
    Winchester SuperX3 12ga 12 shot €1150.00
    Lamping Equipment €750.00
    Harris bipod €150.00

Total €8475.00:D

Holy expensive optics batman, my god Tom I am really jealous, wish I had that kinda cash. What is the big difference between cheap and expensive scopes in terms of functionality and performance

• Advertisement

To Vegeta
    Yeah i know its expensive i muct be mad:)
    To be honest my motto is if you buy a top of the range rifle you must buy a good scope if not its like buying a bmw and putting hub caps insted of alloys on it..
    I find Schmidt & Bender very good they really come into there own in poor light for example early morning and at dusk they are crystal clear. you can flick on the iluminatve then and its really easy to fix on your target!!
    Schmidt & Bender also have a great backup service lifttime warrenty if anything goes wrong just send the scope back and its fixed free of charge!!

Suppose its like everything you get what you pay for!!
    also you only have to pay for it once then you have a gun for life.:D

TomBeckett wrote:
    To Vegeta
    Yeah i know its expensive i muct be mad:)
    To be honest my motto is if you buy a top of the range rifle you must buy a good scope if not its like buying a bmw and putting hub caps insted of alloys on it..
    I find Schmidt & Bender very good they really come into there own in poor light for example early morning and at dusk they are crystal clear. you can flick on the iluminatve then and its really easy to fix on your target!!
    Schmidt & Bender also have a great backup service lifttime warrenty if anything goes wrong just send the scope back and its fixed free of charge!!

Suppose its like everything you get what you pay for!!
    also you only have to pay for it once then you have a gun for life.:D

Yeah I was considering getting a brand name scope such as a leupold variax but I just cant really justify the price of some of them. I cant really get my head round some scopes costing 200 euro and some top end ones costing 2000 euro. I have seen the leupold one I want for about 600 euro on ebay but even that is over the top for me. As you say I suppose its quality of service and they'll last a lifetime

Plus if I told the girlfriend I was buying a scope that cost 600 euro...."Hey baby welcome to dumpsville, population ME..."

ha yeah!!
    do like i do get it on credit card there for she never see's the bill:D

You prob want to wait till after the 14th if she knows your willing to spend €600 on a scope she will have you going window shoping in every jewellers window she can find:D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭airy-fairy

Actually the correct proceedure is to introduce he to that lovely town and spend money on guns'n'ammo as you see fit.

If she doesn't "let" you spend your own money now, when you get married she won't suddenly give you a free pass to the gun shops.

Advert in a personel colum USA
    Middle aged, guy.Big into hunting and shooting and fishing when season permits.Seeks female with same inclinations and preferably ownership of gun&fishing store.Please send inventory of guns and fishing tackle stocked.:D

ha yesh good one:D
    Id say those women are pritty rare like hens teeth id say:rolleyes:
    My other half hates gun's calls them quote "My tools of death":eek:

i can't have it all my own way i suppose!:)

TomBeckett wrote:
    ha yesh good one:D

i can't have it all my own way i suppose!:)

ha ha ha "Tools of Death" yeah I get a lot of that aswell from female friends but what are ya going to do. My girlfriend just doesn't understand why I hunt, she thinks its completely cruel and a waste of money.

TomBeckett wrote:

At this time, I think a quick link to LB6's theads on bringing more women into the sport is in order :D

Women in sport
    Other halves!

Sparks wrote:
    At this time, I think a quick link to LB6's theads on bringing more women into the sport is in order :D

Women in sport
    Other halves!

My hat is off to LB6, I wish more women took her attitude towards shooting but the fact is that ya cant convince someone to do something they are strongly against. Like my gf could never convince me to pursue some of her hobbies like shopping for handbags, getting expensive haircuts and watching period dramas. Well there is a hunting scene in pride and prejudice.....but you see what I'm getting at.

Yes my gf is in to all these things, I didn't just pick sterotypical things off the top of my head.

Vegeta wrote:
    ha ha ha "Tools of Death" yeah I get a lot of that aswell from female friends but what are ya going to do. My girlfriend just doesn't understand why I hunt, she thinks its completely cruel and a waste of money.

Does she eat meat??If so you might suggest to her,that any meat products she has eaten live and generally die in a more orrible way than anything you have ever shot.At least a wild animal has known freedom and has never been subjected to being removed from it's natural habitat.It lived and died free and you as a hunter respect it more for this .Plus you might mention that the minor fact of the increase in the "tools of death" monetary value per annum.But her kit goes out of fashion within 6months and is valueless in 12.

It's simple dudes,tell em straight up who you are and what you do,and most of all you ARE NOT FOR CHANGING,not now,never amen! [It worked for three generations of hunters in my family.]
    You have to draw a line in your personal sand on many issues in this life,and you must stick to those personal rules yourself.In the olden days it was called a code of honour,or maybe better a code of life.They are rules that any MAN will have in his life,and that he will hold and fight to his death to defend.
    Maybe in these politically correct times this is an outdated old fashioned way of life.But I personally think it is somthing of value in a mans life to have an ability to say you mean somthing and right or wrong you will stick by your decision or action and live with the consequences.

I have seen too many shooting buddies being ruined after the wedding bells are a distant memory,and the woman has changed him into somthing unrecogniseable,he has sold the guns as "the kids might get hurt",the gun dog is gone"the wife didnt like it mucking up the carpets",and an exiting day out is the poor slob being dragged around the shops with offspring in tow to watch her shop and try on expensive outfits
    [A living Hell for any man,unless she is off trying on the entire collection from Anne Summers:D ].

If she loves or lusts after you and vise versa,why would you want to "change" anything on each other????No one is perfect but you make the best of each others quirks.Same as no gun ,dog,horse, or 4WD is perfect,but you learn to live with the faults.Sure you can better the performance,or tune it.But the problem will still be there.As a line from A Bruce Springsteen song goes;"you gotta learn to live with what you cant rise above."

Plus if she is honest with you she will understand and respect your way of life as much as you should her's.If you arent bitching about all the crap she buys[so long as it isnt your credit card she is free for alling on] or the mind numbing tat she watches on the Telly.She has no right to moan about your hobby or what you do when you are out hunting,or buy with your own money to do so.Basically honey,like it or lump it.Belive it or not they will actually respect you more for having a ummoveable point in your life,it's a security thing or so the shrinks say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

Advert in a personel colum USA
    Middle aged, guy.Big into hunting and shooting and fishing when season permits.Seeks female with same inclinations and preferably ownership of gun&fishing store.Please send inventory of guns and fishing tackle stocked.:D
    D@mn Small World!

Errr... I meant Who would write a thing like that?:o;)

jeffshc1 wrote:
    D@mn Small World!

Errr... I meant Who would write a thing like that?:o;)

A damn smart fellah who has his pirorities right:D :D:D [its a very old joke BTW]

"Does she eat meat??If so you might suggest to her,that any meat products she has eaten live and generally die in a more orrible way than anything you have ever shot.At least a wild animal has known freedom and has never been subjected to being removed from it's natural habitat.It lived and died free and you as a hunter respect it more for this .Plus you might mention that the minor fact of the increase in the "tools of death" monetary value per annum.But her kit goes out of fashion within 6months and is valueless in 12."

CG this is the stance i take with everyone who opposes hunting, I ask are they vegetarians and if they say no I tell them to shut up then.

Did some rough math. My total is just over $5.00 (US) per week less ammo...
    X20 years.

That's got to be the most sensible way of looking at it jeff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Did some precise maths: 20 years X 52 Weeks X $5 = $5,200

Ahem-Cough!...!
    Stick with rough, the wife is watching...!;) :D

nice one guys, I've only been shooting myself 5 years so I don't even want to calculate what i've spent a week

Advertisement