Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE7 Beta 2

Options
  • 02-02-2006 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Had this discussion on another forum - http://forum.search.ie/showthread.php?p=479

Just wondering if anyone else has looked at IE7 Beta 2 - and what do they think!?

Not to repeat myself, but what a terrible terrible terrible attempt at a browser to compete with FireFox..... if that's even the right thing to say....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

have to agree - just trying to ape FF imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Ph3n0m wrote:
    HeeHee, I love it!! :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Very good!
    I must use that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

daveirl wrote:
    I want them to comply with w3c standards, and stop pushing software patents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

daveirl wrote:
    Whatever. Firefox isn't perfect, nothing is. But I still prefer it to Opera and that's just personal choice (Opera is also a fine browser, although the open source nature of Firefox appeals to me).

I make a point of avoiding Microsoft products where I can so the idea of actually choosing to download and install some of their software (and a beta at that) seems strange and unusual to me. I have a hard enough time trying to uninstall the crap I've got.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ie7 is a load of crap if you ask me, and it is just copying Firefox. I think I am going to stay with Firefox, because of all the extentions and themes that you can get for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

there is no logical reason to return to IE from Firefox. IE doesn't offer anything new that firefox doesn't alredy have.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

there is no logical reason to return to IE from Firefox. IE doesn't offer anything new that firefox doesn't alredy have.
    No, but from a webmasters point of view it's going to be very important to consider IE7. When Vista hits the shelves there's a going to be a huge number of people using IE7 and that number is only going to increase as Vista becomes the main consumer-level OS.

When that happens the "getfirefox" campaign will be met with, "but Firefox doesn't offer anything that IE doesn't".

daveirl wrote:
    All browsers should comply with w3 standards, Microsofts tradition is to either try to establish it's proprietery property as a de facto standard, or where a community standard is already popular to embrace and extend using it's monopoly leverage to take it over. IE7 is not trying too hard on w3c standards.

It's fair to say that peoples problems over microsoft issues taint everything, for me it's browser standards, 'open' document standards, secretive win api, high prices, illegal behaviour (proven in various courts), but the most stinging is their war on the foss community, to my mind like watching the banks attacking oxfam and concern. Obviously I'm referring to the overlap in the simile, not the difference.

With all this I think it's difficult to have any ms discussion ringfenced to a particular topic, though some may approach with a focussed objectivity, so many with strong views including myself have seen too much and find it hard to remain silent where we perceive a danger of casual readers getting the wrong overall impression based on a narrow point. Think of it like journalistic integrity. A half-truth is akin to a lie, and in a public discussion related points can be expected, our evaluation of ie7 is only part of a wider evaluation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

daveirl wrote:

I'm slating microsoft for their poor attempt at creating a new browser. They have not used any iniative. They have not tried to bring anything new or creative to their browser.

I'm not talking about standards yaddy yadda yadda. That's typical of microsoft, something we come to expect.

However, I expected a lot more in the way of innovation etc. It looks to me like microsoft aren't interested in creating a browser anymore.

Microsoft wrote:
    Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview will only run on Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) systems, but will ultimately be available for Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and Windows Server 2003.

Firefox works on many different platforms including 98/SE, NT, ME, 2k, XP, 2003
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

its only beta 2

things can drastically change between now and public release

I won't hold my breath though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Installed it, tried it for a day or so, went "meh", uninstalled it. It left the IE7 icon, which I didn't like, so I reinstalled Windows. (Nah, I was reinstalling anyway. But I really didn't like it.)

The problem with IE is always going to be that they're not going to introduce and/or allow many of the features you can get with Firefox or an overlay like Maxthon. It's just not conducive to their business.

[After switching back I was having trouble with IE, so I tried FF for a few days. It was so "not-maxthon" I ended up fixing my router (which was causing the problem) in frustration, just to get back to Maxthox.]

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Ah sure spending hours ironing out cross browser rendering issues is half the fun of web dev... might aswell throw another browser into the bonfire, why not.
    I had a good laugh reading that MS blog asking people to clean up their css hacks for the coming of IE7... watching all the w3c extremists throwing tantrums made my nipples so hard.
    Pass the vaseline tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's one thing I did notice actually, quite a lot of sites rendered /horribly/ in IE7. In fact, the word "rendered" is probably better replaced by "mangled".

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ken Shabby wrote:
    That's one thing I did notice actually, quite a lot of sites rendered /horribly/ in IE7. In fact, the word "rendered" is probably better replaced by "mangled".

adam
    They did start asking webmasters to disable their IE hack CSS sheets for browsers that identified themselves as IE7. I doubt that many listened if this is the case.

Webmonkey review.
    Have to agree that the Firefox extensions architecture means IE7, without it, has no chance of catching up.

Advertisement