Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standard of pundits - appalling

• 02-02-2006 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

The more I watch Sky's coverage the more sickened I am by it. Dunphy and Giles, they're the only two men who are willing to say it like it is these days.

Watching the Utd - Pool game last week, Cisse having a torrid time. Andy Gray: "He's not having one of his better games." They just won't say anything negative. I think having Niall "Positive" Quinn on board is rubbing off on them. They won't say anything controversial. Jamie Redknapp - give me a break.

Last night watching the Gillette Sport Centre - McAffrey presenting it, am I the only one irritated by him? he's appalling.

My favourite comment of the night had to come from Alan Mullery though. Summarising the Chelsea - Villa game: "Chelsea on form have to be up there with the best teams in England, perhaps even Europe." I mean come on! At their worst they're up there with the best in England, and at their best, they're miles out in front - look at the league table! As for being up there in Europe, a semi final last year, and one of the favourites this year. I mean it's benign appalling punditry!

Now, rant over, i feel fine. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Many people dont like the RTE pundits because sometimes admitidly they dont know what they are talking about but they say it like it is. I can still remember the time they were slagging off Drogba, absolutely hilarious stuff. I agree with you that the BBC and Sky are afraid to call players or teams rubbish when they are rubbish and Jamie Redknapp has to be the worst pundit of all time. At least when McAteer is on though we are bound to be entertained with a stupid comment or two.

The only decent pundit show on Sky is Soccer Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

It wasn't just me or was that the guy that commentates on Robot Wars....
    Fairly Eccentric compared to Ryle Nugent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Whenever I go to my dad's house to watch matches on Sky I never bother watching the analysis at half time for reasons listed. The BBC have gotten like that too.

The problem with RTE is that although it's entertaining, it just comes across as being so unprofessional when D & G are on it. They do tell it like it is though, unless of course Dunphy has an agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I'm probably the only one here that disagrees with comments about D and G.

They may say it like it is and have no problem saying when someone is bad - but most of the time they talk sh!t3. Granted - the worst ever pundit has to go to Niall Quinn!!!

At least with Andy Gray he knows what he;s talking about and sometimes you can even learn a thing or two from his anaysis. But all you get from D & G is whinging....

At the Man U and liverpool there a couple of weeks ago - I tried for the first time listening to commentary while at a match.... sad I know... but it did add a bit of excitement to a very poor game... anyway point being - Ian Rush

He was absolutely fantastic - he gave poor Cisse abuse all throughout the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I cant stand RTEs pundits. They are TOO negative. They only focus on the bad things and it gets depressing! When a team loses a game you would swear the world was going to end by the way they talk about it.

I like BBC coverage. Nice & light hearted, they seem to be enjoying the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Tusky wrote:
    I cant stand RTEs pundits. They are TOO negative. They only focus on the bad things and it gets depressing! When a team loses a game you would swear the world was going to end by the way they talk about it.

I like BBC coverage. Nice & light hearted, they seem to be enjoying the game.
    Whatever about Dunph - he's entertainment value, but Giles is permanently right.

As for BBC - they're the worst of the lot. All Lineker does is make little quips, wink and do the gun to the camera, Ian Wright just laughs insanely at his own terrible jokes, and comes across, to me, as one of those irritating loud guys you see and hear in the pub that you just want to tell to shut up. The kind of guy who loves the sound of his own voice. And Schmeichel is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

swalsh wrote:

Yeah thats him, he was doing the game the other day. Pretty crap.

Best bunch is the RTE lads, they tell it how it is even if sometimes they are wrong. At least they don't molly coddle when someone is playing crap, they just say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I've two eyes and have been watching football long enough to know whats going on ie I don't need pundits.

Apart from Gordon Strachan they should all be taken outside and shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Graeme Le Saux dominates them all as the worst pundit going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mark wrote:

Not going to argue with that. He's bloody awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mark wrote:
    I'll have to disagree with you there. Tony Adams takes that title imo.

**Note to Tony**

Speaking r e a l l y s l o w l y doesn't make you sound intellegent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

we don't need pundits at all...i'd much rather see the 1st half highlights from other games at half time...the skysports lads are OTT tho..they are obviously under orders from the powers that be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

swalsh wrote:

lol, i would never have thought it, but i think you're right.
    he was a bellend back then too
    i remember him from his channel 5 football show when ITV had premiership highlights. was dumbfounded when the bbc hired him.

agree with whoever slated wright, just sounds like an eejit laughing at crap all the time. lawro is increasingly annoying the more i see him. hansen is alright imo.

ne'ermind pundits, for the most part i wish the commentators would stfu
    i could turn down the sound, but i like the crowd atmosphere (except when its a bell ringing in portsmouth)

eyerer wrote:
    lawro is increasingly annoying the more i see him.

"Aeh Maniche I'll tellya what ......" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

eyerer wrote:
    (except when its a bell ringing in portsmouth)

Yeah that was annoying the hell out of me the other night :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hows about this for a statement from last nights Sky coverage...

"I've been watching Wigan for some time now, and I'm convinced they'll reach 40 points." - Gordon McQueen.

Wonder what odds you would get on that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

when possible i try to listen to the radio (5 live) and mute the tv.
    i think 5 lives commentators are of a very high standard, by that i mean the lead commentators not the summarisers who are usually muck, graeme le saux and redknapp etc.

you get a bit of a laugh out of claridge alright and alan green can be annoying but still has excellent knowledge.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hows about this for a statement from last nights Sky coverage...

"I've been watching Wigan for some time now, and I'm convinced they'll reach 40 points." - Gordon McQueen.

Wonder what odds you would get on that...

lol

2 draws from 14 games might be hard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

The Irish pundits may be depressing, focusing only on negatives, but the Irish commentators are completely dull and clueless, half the time they can't get the players name right, and for the most part, if the player is not Irish they can't pronounce the players name.

I agree with Le Saux and Redknapp but I like Lawro and Hansen.
    Strachen I always thought was hilarious but I guess he'll save his quips for the referee in the post match interviews.

Sky's dumbing down of issues and seemly unending ability to point out the blatently obvious is very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Pigman II wrote:
    I've two eyes and have been watching football long enough to know whats going on ie I don't need pundits.

Apart from Gordon Strachan they should all be taken outside and shot.

surely managing celtic is bad enough punishment:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Rodney Marsh on Soccer Saturday was good and entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i quite like lawro and hansen aswell :) i tape motd just to hear what hansen is gonna say next so i can watch it after i come home from work :)

well, and to see the football :)

county wrote:
    surely managing celtic is bad enough punishment:D

No argument there mate.

He should quit that job and spend half the time single-handedly presenting MOTD and the rest doing stand-up comedy. :)

well, and to see the football :)

liar!
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I hate Niall Quinn such a wuss

what waster

idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eyerer wrote:
    liar!
    :p

oh noes, my secret is out!

Yes, Alan hansen is just so dreamy! i tape all his punditry and watch it over and over and over!!!!!!

*blush*

don't worry, i do it too

Yes, Alan hansen is just so dreamy! i tape all his punditry and watch it over and over and over!!!!!!

Thats not all ya do with it ya dirty fecker.

Advertisement