Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless print server + existing wireless network

Options
  • 02-02-2006 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Netgear router/access point with a couple of PCs'/laptops hanging off it.

I am considering purchasing this Netgear wireless print server/switch. I notice it only has four LAN ports, two USB (for the printers) and a wireless antenna. The trouble is, I am having a hard time getting my head around how I could incorporate this into my current setup.

Do devices like this take an IP from my AP/router? According to the blurb, it has a Wireless Ethernet Bridge function - presumably this is what I need to get it to work with my current setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I had a wireless network setup wit 128bit wep security and decided to add a wireless accesspoint. The way most of them work is, you have to install the printers onto each pc that wants to print to them, the access point can either have a static ip or get a dynamic ip of the DHCP server. When you setup the printers on the pcs you have to configure the printers to print to the ip of the wireless printer server and also configure the port its printing on (usually 9100 or 9101).

Advertisement