Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing a Carvan / NCT or DOE test?

Options
  • 02-02-2006 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Recently bought a used Peugeot 106 ('94) carvan from a dealer. First car, first time driving, on Provisional license etc. The carvan is a conversion of a 106 hatchback, i.e. back seats removed, rear side windows blacked out, etc. and it came with a DOE report done in 2004. The dealer said that at the time it was last DOE tested (in 2004) that this report covers it for 2 years (although DOE now only covers for 1 year?).

I received the vehicle registration cert today; which has it listed as a private vehicle, 3 seats, etc. - and not as a carvan.

I want to know if I need to tax it as a private or commercial vehicle. I've heard that the DOE test is easier to pass than the NCT?

Also, do I have to insure it commercially if it is taxed as goods vehicle - even it is used only as a private car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Most private car/van policies require the car/van to be taxed privately. The biggest engine in one of these will be a 1.5 diesel so the most you'll save is €60 a year going for commercial tax instead of private, this falls to €30 if it's a 1.4 diesel and if it's a 1.1 petrol, private motor tax will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well i have a 1.4 206 carvan, and it had to be taxed commercially, it has to do a DOE every year up at murphys truck center in ballymount.

Regards insurance, i know that you can insure it privately if you use it as your personal means of work and is in the class 2 catagory, but the insurance company wont cover for damage caused by goods that have flung out the car ie: in my case all my tools.

And if its insured privately it has to be taxed privately also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭richardson2525

There is a loophole in the law. If it is a carvan and taxed commercially it has to go for a DOE. However if you tax it privately it is excempt from the DOE and it is also excempt from the NCT because it technicaly is not a car. I had this situation with a 94 Nissan Sunny Carvan (converted like yours). I rang around the NCT people and others and it worked out fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Sparky-s wrote:

And if its insured privately it has to be taxed privately also.

Not so i am glad to say, My Peugeot 306 carvan taxed commercially an dinsured with Quinn and then FBD as private vehicle.

No issue with either insurers!

There is a loophole in the law. If it is a carvan and taxed commercially it has to go for a DOE. However if you tax it privately it is excempt from the DOE and it is also excempt from the NCT because it technicaly is not a car. I had this situation with a 94 Nissan Sunny Carvan (converted like yours). I rang around the NCT people and others and it worked out fine for me

ive heard this alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 toloola

that was the way until the start of this year. I never had to test my van until this year. I went to the tax office and they wouldn`t give me tax until i tested it.
    The girl behind the counted told me that from the first of jan this year all vehicles on the road have to have a test.
    Don`t worry the test is alot easier that the M.O.T. My van flew throught it bar the light adjustment. Cost 80 a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

toloola wrote:

Don`t worry the test is alot easier that the M.O.T. My van flew throught it bar the light adjustment. QUOTE]

The MOT only applies to UK registered vehicles. In the ROI we use the NCT or the DOE.

if you get a form to renew your tax online you should get away without having to do a test for your vehicle

gibo_ie wrote:
    Not so i am glad to say, My Peugeot 306 carvan taxed commercially an dinsured with Quinn and then FBD as private vehicle.

No issue with either insurers!

the *****, they told me they told me i couldnt do that, its a carvan and since i was an electrican i can only do it commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulregan

if you get a form to renew your tax online you should get away without having to do a test for your vehicle

Thanks for the replies.

Still no real clarity here. Vehicle registration office said that tax office should have been informed when it was converted from a car to van. They said that I need to inform tax office than it is now a carvan.

The they said that it needs to be NCT'd because it's registered as a private car?

Insurance companies are saying that if it's taxed as commercial vehicle then it needs to be insured as a commercial vehicle. They won't insure it privately as it has been "modified" as a car.

So it's a Catch 22... and I'm getting nowhere.

The previous owner had it taxed privately, but had it DOE tested somehow?

I'm getting conflicting answers from people from tax office, vehicle registration dept. and NCT dept.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 toloola

The MOT only applies to UK registered vehicles. In the ROI we use the NCT or the DOE.

Sorry force of habit saying that.

Would u not think about reconverting it back to a car. Should be that hard if it was already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Had a megavan myself, private tax and insurance, no NCT or DOE required, the onus is on the driver to have it tested

my situation was: bought a sunny carvan (was originally just a car). it was taxed commercially and had a DOE test when i bought it. It had the DOE test done when the back windows were blacked out and the rear seats taken out, with the DOE cert the tax office were informed and the taxation class was changed to commercial from private.
    I bought it like this drove it for a year, then the test was due again. Instead of doing either test I went to the garda station and filled out a form changing the taxation class back from commercial to private again. When this was done, the carvan was excempt from both NCT and DOE!
    Hope that clarifies things a bit

Advertisement