Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Tower Series - Stephen King

Options
  • 02-02-2006 1:56pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reactions etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

I was very impressed with it, overall. I started it after wizard and glass was written and before wolves of the calla, so I had to wait for the last three books. There's some saying that King shouldn't have put himself as a character in the books, but I thought it was an interesting turn. All the characters were really well developed, and over the course of the 7 books King had ample time to acquaint us with their characteristics. I have to say that
    King did away with the supporting cast very casually. Particularly Eddie. His death seemed almost incidental, when he would have been the character with whom I would have empathised most.

One thing I will say. At the end of The Dark Tower, I wish I hadn't read the extra chapter, even though I would probably do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

I enjoyed it overall but some of the later books seemed overlong as if he was trying to drag the series out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

series peaks in the middle books, and tails off with the latter books imho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thought they were brilliant, this millennium's LOTR. Includes the best opening line ever. I'm glad I read the extra chapter, I thought it was one of the few ways to exit with real credibility.

IceHawk's spoiler: I thought that was deliberate to emphasise how important getting to the end of the quest was to Roland, and a demonstration of his lack of humanity. It added a sense of real urgency to the chapters which followed. IMO.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I've read the first four and after a slow start, it picks up. It's a decent enough read, Wolves Of The Calla up next. You find yourself getting very curious as to how it will all finish the more you read I find.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I read the first book in mid nineties and had to wait for each one... and in the end there's alot i like and a bit i don't dislike, but in any series of its size there will be alot of gripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Gunslinger is still probably one of my most favourite books ever. I've read that about ten times (the later books a few times less, only once so far for the last three). I thought it grew patchy at the end but it was still great. I'll have to read it all again over the next year (if I ever get the first three back from the person I lent them to).

As for it being up there with LOTR, I have to disagree. I love the Dark Tower to bits but it's still no LOTR.

John2 wrote:

As for it being up there with LOTR, I have to disagree. I love the Dark Tower to bits but it's still no LOTR.

pah, thankfully there's ony one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

Jaysus I forgot about the Dark Tower series... I started reading it over 10 years ago (the first couple of books were on sale in the pound shop!) and was enjoying it well enough - but it just didn't seduce me enough to continue with the entire thing... I didn't empathise with any of the characters, and it seemed like a bit of a vanity project for King. I prefer his short stories, anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I loved it. Have been reading it for the last few years and had to wait for the last 3 books each time. I think its King's swan song, the way it pays homage to all his other books and acts as a connection between them.
    I initially didnt like the idea of placing himself in the book but i think it really worked as the series progressed. I really felt the deaths of Jake, Eddie and even Oy which really impressed me as ye dont always get that no matter how much time u invest in a book\series.
    I really didnt want to read the last chapter cause i'd guessed what was going to happen and didnt want to be right. It made me sad but it was the proper ending for Roland.
    Hile Gunslinger!

/edit
    added spoiler tags as i took this thread to be a discussion for people who had finished the series. sorry!

• Advertisement

Egads man, use the spoiler tags! There might be people who haven't finished the series reading this!

Scruff, thanks for posting that. :rolleyes:
    /Slow hand-clap

Scruff, thanks for posting that. :rolleyes:
    /Slow hand-clap

ah dude, that's harsh, bite that guys face off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Am dudes am I missing something here - what extra chapter?
    I read and loved the dark tower, I am a hugh King fan and just loved the way it tied all his other books together, dying to start it again but really wonder if the fact that i know the ending will ruin it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

lordgoat wrote:
    ah dude, that's harsh, bite that guys face off

gogo
    think they are on about the last chapter where you find out what happens to Roland cause before that Stephen Kings says dont read the next chapter if you want to have a happily ever after ending for Roland in your own imagination

Is it just me or is Wolves Of The Calla mostly redundant?? That entire story could've been fit into two chapters, not 800 pages. It wasn't as if there was a whole lot of action in it either and
    That battle with the Wolves was a massive disappointment and I'm told that many of the characters you meet in Calla Bryn Sturgis don't feature again in the series
    . WTF? Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Can anyone PM me with the order I should start reading this series of books. Thanks.

I'll just post it here instead:

The Gunslinger
    The Drawing Of The Three
    The Wastelands
    Wizard And Glass
    Wolves Of The Calla
    Song Of Susannah
    The Dark Tower

Get crackin'! :p

And possibly read Insomnia, The Stand and the two books he did with Peter Straub during your Dark Tower experience. They all tie in with The Dark Tower story (lots of his other books do too but these are the ones worth reading).

John2 wrote:
    And possibly read Insomnia, The Stand and the two books he did with Peter Straub during your Dark Tower experience. They all tie in with The Dark Tower story (lots of his other books do too but these are the ones worth reading).

What about Salem's Lot? I haven't read that one but it seems to have a significant bearing on the series....
    Definitely read The Stand though, great stand alone book.

• Advertisement

Oops! Forgot, read Salem's Lot too!

Advertisement