Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: RTE Guide Lost article spoils everything! (**SPOILERS FOR IRL/UK VIEWERS**)

• 02-02-2006 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Could they spoil more - and without any warning too?!

Not alone did Alan Corr *stupidly* launch his article with (details of article's mentions of season two US-screened content coming up)
    a description of what is in the hatch, including Desmond (by name!), but he goes on to discuss the Dharma Initiative, the "incident", the existence of the Tailies and Jack's plan to build an army! He also mentions such recent event as Charlie's heroin problems returning and 'his son, Aaron' (sic) being swept into the sea. There's also a puzzling mention of Sayid beginning to question if everyone is dead. I'm assuming this is a reference to the events of "Collision", unless Sayid is due another flashback soon and it's a FUTURE spoiler (even to those of us watching from the US!)

Long story short, what an idiotic article. No mention of spoilers in the text before it begins, and it'll be read by anyone interested in the show, thereby completely destroying any fun to be had from the opening moments of "Man of Science, Man of Faith."

*And* he talked about the Lost gang "pondering the meaning of the number 4815162242..." Yes, "the number" (!). And he has 22 instead of 23. Does he even watch the show?! Six months of waiting for RTE TWO viewers, and promoed well without any in-hatch spoilers... and it all destroyed in a flash by the RTE Guide.

Losers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If you buy the RTE Guide you deserve to be punished.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

good lord
    what a muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Absolute prick!

.. may sound harsh but that's just fecking awful for fans of the show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

rkm wrote:

Just as well I get it free where I work, but yeah, if people buy it, they get what they deserve.

And I've just noticed there's no picture of
    Shannon in the second of the two pictures, but Libby, Ana Lucia and Eko are there. Duh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jesus thats terrible..... assholes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

i know another mag that did that but you actually had to turn the mag upside down and then read it through a mirror to properly read the article!they warned you!and then instructed you if ya wanted to read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye i got it yesterday...good thing I have seen the episodes already or I would have been pissed! I never buy the RTE guide but I saw the front page and said Ill buy it this once...never again!

Also,it mentioned the so called double episode premiere is actually just a recap episode,and the first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

doh.ie wrote:
    ...but yeah, if people buy it, they get what they deserve. /spoiler]
    rkm wrote:

What abolute toss. I echo the sentiments of other posters that it's a shame some lazy hack decided to ruin one of the most anticipated returns to our screen. (May I suggest a campaign that those severely disgruntled make attempts to mail Alan Corr with a few lines along the lines of

Usual Suspects
    Verbal is Keiser Soze
    The Crying Game
    She's a bloke
    The Sixth Sense
    Yeah, But Bruce Willis is dead, y'see
    removing spoiler tags if necessary...and asking him in future to cop the hell on...

To say, however, that 'if you purchase a certain magazine, you deserve to have your enjoyment curtailed' is just as petty as it gets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

She's a BLOKE????:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Well you certainly deserve your name grumpytrousers.
    The RTE Guide is a rip @ €1.50 or whatever they charge for it now imho.
    Its my opinion its a ****ty rag mag, im not being petty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It could have been worse.

There could have been a article all about Ryan Tubridy with lots of big photos of his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Thread title edited just in case IRL/UK viewers have a gander and can't help themselves but highlight the spoilertext.

It's a joke that the RTE Guide decide to completely spoil something like this when they're planning to start showing the new series soon... Who the hell will be happy that they know exactly what's in the hatch after reading it in the RTE Guide?

But then again these kind of things happen... I recall Empire publishing an article about how great Speed was when it was first released and containing the line
    Dennis Hopper is decapitated in front of our very eyes!

steveland? wrote:
    Thread title edited just in case IRL/UK viewers have a gander and can't help themselves but highlight the spoilertext.

Good idea - some people can't resist, it's true...
    steveland? wrote:
    It's a joke that the RTE Guide decide to completely spoil something like this when they're planning to start showing the new series soon...

Worst part is, it's not like a foreshadow of something that's on in a month, it's the Guide for the week that the show returns. Very disrespectful to its readers, I think. If they had a letters page, I'd send something in. (They do have an address printed if anyone's bothered - rteguide@rte.ie.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

doh.ie wrote:
    Could they spoil more - and without any warning too?!

Not alone did Alan Corr *stupidly* launch his article with (details of article's mentions of season two US-screened content coming up)
    a description of what is in the hatch, including Desmond (by name!), but he goes on to discuss the Dharma Initiative, the "incident", the existence of the Tailies and Jack's plan to build an army! He also mentions such recent event as Charlie's heroin problems returning and 'his son, Aaron' (sic) being swept into the sea. There's also a puzzling mention of Sayid beginning to question if everyone is dead. I'm assuming this is a reference to the events of "Collision", unless Sayid is due another flashback soon and it's a FUTURE spoiler (even to those of us watching from the US!)

Long story short, what an idiotic article. No mention of spoilers in the text before it begins, and it'll be read by anyone interested in the show, thereby completely destroying any fun to be had from the opening moments of "Man of Science, Man of Faith."

*And* he talked about the Lost gang "pondering the meaning of the number 4815162242..." Yes, "the number" (!). And he has 22 instead of 23. Does he even watch the show?! Six months of waiting for RTE TWO viewers, and promoed well without any in-hatch spoilers... and it all destroyed in a flash by the RTE Guide.

Losers.

wow, imo sesaon episode 1 is one the shows highlights, to spoil... that...wow what an unbelievable idiot, and then number mess up which would make it seem like he doesn't even watch the show.... wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

The Evening Herald today has a little segment about whats hot and whats not. Under hot it had the anticiapation of the Lost premiere,saying "only 3 days until we find out whats in the Hatch,or we had better anyway"! Seems fine,except the photo they use above it is of
    Sayid holding a dead Shannon in his arms!
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I heard an ad for the RTE Guide on 2FM today in work... they actually boast about their "sneak peak of what's coming up in Lost season 2"...

You'd think they're proud of spoiling everything for people wouldn't you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Hes an idiot. He messed up loads,
    by saying all about Ana Lucia/Ecko. I have it here in front of me, let me show ye. First, on page 14, they give the entire Desmond intro to season 2. Also the 4 8 15 16 22 42, its 23 to all of us obviously. Messed up there. And calls it the number, not numbers. Tell everyone about (page 15) stuff that happens like. Charlie pain over son Aaron. Son? What is he on about? Obviously he has seen up to this point in US and gives away that, and about the tailies, and Jack asking AL to build an army.
    He really is a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

This totally sucks. I read the article and I told my friends who are waiting for it to be on RTE not to read it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

It could have been worse.

There could have been a article all about Ryan Tubridy with lots of big photos of his face.
    LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

If anyone emails rte about this post up your email and the response, I'd be interested in seeing what they have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

I've never been so glad to have cousins in America... What the hell is the motivation behind the rampant spoiling?

Honestly, it's as if these RTE people want some glory for being the first ones to come out with all this material, a kind of "You heard it here first" thing.

I remember watching the last ep of S1 on RTE with some friends and the announcer when the ep started said something about the others "looking for a sacrifice", which was completely wrong.. but he had obviously seen a clip of the big pyre on the beach and thought, "great I see what's going on here.."

As was pointed out before, I doubt a lot of them even watch the show... so they don't see anything wrong with blurting out loads of stuff... A**holes tbh..

tvnutz wrote:
    The Evening Herald today has a little segment about whats hot and whats not. Under hot it had the anticiapation of the Lost premiere,saying "only 3 days until we find out whats in the Hatch,or we had better anyway"! Seems fine,except the photo they use above it is of
    Sayid holding a dead Shannon in his arms!
    :rolleyes:

Dreadful... Even worse that they're attempting to keep it concealed and yet spoil something else in the process. If I was watching on RTE and happened upon that article, I'd be furious. Nothing is sacred. I can't remember what the papers here did when Twin Peaks was on, but luckily I never saw anything spoiled. It is highly disrespectful for editors to think they have any right to spoil viewers' enjoyment of a series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

doh.ie wrote:
    There's also a puzzling mention of Sayid beginning to question if everyone is dead. I'm assuming this is a reference to the events of "Collision", unless Sayid is due another flashback soon and it's a FUTURE spoiler (even to those of us watching from the US!)
    Maybe... just maybe...
    this is a reference to some of the stuff he says to Ana when she unties him from the tree.

Maybe... just maybe...
    this is a reference to some of the stuff he says to Ana when she unties him from the tree.

Yep, this is what I was referencing in "Collision",
    that'd as people, he and Ana are emotionally dead (rather than physically) for the crimes they have committed in the past. Though the producers have discounted the Purgatory theory, the island does appear to have a lot of 'dead' people (metaphorically) running about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Sauron wrote:
    What the hell is the motivation behind the rampant spoiling?

tbh..

I don't know whether they like annoying people or that they are just stupid. I remember years back when Twin Peaks was first aired here. We were only getting the first season and a few newspapers gave the biggest spoiler away as it had just been aired in the US (halfway through the second season). I think it was even given away on a chat show (Wogan). There was bloody murder over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Anyone else see the ad for lost on RTE?
    It managed to reveal that Desmond was behind the hatch!
    Hurray for RTE! Dumbasses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

About 8 days too late with this but anywho.....
    2FM spoiled everything also.It was on at about 4:40 or so about a 2 weeks or more ago.It was some fella who had filled in for the usual Ruth.I was on the bus and actually had to put my fingers in my ears to stop myself hearing it.On the several occations when i couldn't help but listen i heard that they were talking about
    Other survivors at the tail end of the plane affected by a disese (or something) and the predator of the sea and what is down the hatch
    :mad:

Luckily (or unluckily)i already knew some of the things by stumbling across them here but still i could not believe it was happening.

SHAME ON YOU RTE(but thanks for bringing us Lost all the same)

*tuts*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Johnner111

I'm gonna e-mail them. I thought it was disgraceful. What annoyed me more was the writer who spoiled the whole thing didn't even quote the numbers correctly. The only reason i bought the blasted thing was because kate looked hot on the front :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Johnner111 wrote:
    I'm gonna e-mail them. I thought it was disgraceful. What annoyed me more was the writer who spoiled the whole thing didn't even quote the numbers correctly. The only reason i bought the blasted thing was because kate looked hot on the front :S

Johnner, Did you ever get a reply?

• Advertisement
Advertisement