Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donuts-J. Dilla

• 02-02-2006 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard this yet?The below rates it highly but I've heard some mixed reviews despite quite a bit of hype.Anyone knows some of his earlier stuff?
    Jay Dee aka J Dilla is your favorite producer’s favorite producer. The Detroit native has quietly crafted tracks for several Hip Hop and R&B groups including anyone from A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul and the Pharcyde to Janet Jackson,and Erykah Badu. His distinctively sparse and soulful sounds helped make Slum Village’s Fantastic Vol. 2 an underground favorite. After the masses slept on the trio, Dilla defected to pursue other projects. Since then he’s worked with numerous artists and released a few albums of his own including Welcome 2 Detroit as part of BBE’s Beat Generationseries. Last officially heard after dropping Champion Sound a collaboration with Madlib, Dilla returns with Donuts (Stones Throw) and finds the renowned producer at the height of his creative powers.

The album is every bit as unpolished as it is brilliant. Without a single vocal appearance Dilla exhibits his storied versatility behind the boards. Often noted for his futuristic style, on this outing he opted for a dirtier sound using distorted breakbeats and low fidelity soul samples replete with snaps and crackles. The song transitions are intriguingly abrupt an erratic. In fact with the average track length clocking in at around one minute and thirty seconds it can be said that Donuts resembles a collection of interludes more than a traditional Hip-Hop album. On the one hand it can be frustrating that just as the pace and feel of the track begin to take shape, the song abruptly switches to a seemingly incongruous concoction. On the other hand it most certainly leaves the listener thirsty for more and makes for an incessant playback factor. Sorry MC’s Donuts is not one of Dilla’s coveted beat tapes instead it’s more like a window into a vividly musical imagination.

http://www.allhiphop.com/reviews/?ID=760

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

i only real know him from the work with slumvillage, which is really nice. I liked fantastic vol. 2 a lot, was one of the best hip-hop albums i'd heard in a while when i first got it.

Don't know how keen i'd be on an instrumental album, but the beats i've heard from him have always been hot. Wouldn't mind giving it a listen!

Advertisement