Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo - colour fading?

Options
  • 02-02-2006 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I got my first tattoo about two months ago, and was very happy with it. However, in the last few weeks I've noticed that the intensity of the colour (all black) seems to have faded quite a bit and now there are 'light' patches throughout the design. I assumed this was normal until last week when someone asked had I been picking at it, which I haven't.

So, can this be expected to happen with a new tattoo, or should I go back and ask them to look at it again? I really don't fancy having to get it 'topped-up' but will do whatever's necessary...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i have a half sleeve and i had to go back to get it touched up...i'm no expert but touching up seems to be a normal enough thing...go 2 stars on my wrist there a few weeks ago and they have to be 'topped up' too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShayHT

Yeah, getting a tattoo touched up is perfectly normal, go back, some tattooists don't charge for a touch up, or charge very little

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If its like white patches or patches that look lighter than others a lot of artists will re-do them for free--Well at least any Ive ever used have done.

yeah mine was free too...after all it is imperfection in an artists work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

A touch up is common enough after a while and even though you may not have picked the colour is not always consistent after you get them done. It can be a number of reasons, one of them being the artist having a heavy hand and taking out the layers that are supposed to be holding the ink as they put it in.

It is standard practice that the touchup be done for free ( and for life too ).

• Advertisement

Blub2k4 wrote:
    It is standard practice that the touchup be done for free ( and for life too ).

nice :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

I went to a tattoo shop in swords called stigmata.. very good tattoo artists and they do a touch up for free but they say u shouldnt really have to touch up a well healed tattoo for about 10 years but there is always the chance it will fade in the first few weeks... how did you look after??? i used savlon for about a week and then non alcohol moisturing cream for another week and it looks brand new!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

I used a Tattoo Healing Balm for about two weeks, it's mostly beeswax I think and they were selling it in the place I got the tattoo done. Even after that though there was still excess ink coming off in the shower, and then I noticed the black had faded in parts. Other than that there weren't any other problems.

I'm going to go back next weekend and ask about a touch-up. Thanks for the advice folks!

Advertisement