Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo SE 2.0D or toyota avensis 2.0 D4D

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

well i have decided to go with the s40. loads more extras for money.

imo it doesent look like a ford. it has more class.. more toys too.

its a solid car..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

EIN wrote:
    well i have decided to go with the s40. loads more extras for money.

imo it doesent look like a ford. it has more class.. more toys too.

its a solid car..

Best of luck with your choice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    You seem to know everything :rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I'm a veritable mine of sometimes useless information :)

Parkers is an excellent site, with geniunely informed and impartial views.

I agree with them on the handling issues of these particular cars, but not on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Well for what its worth, as an owner of an new S40 from sep 04, I can't fault it in any way. Service cost at 20k was €350 at main dealer.

Oh, had the pleasure of hitting a focus side on. Needless to say, I wasn't to happy having to test the volvo to that extent, but at least I wasn't the one in a ditch!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As far as I can see, Ford and Peugeot can do no wrong in the eyes of the British motoring press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Well for what its worth, as an owner of an new S40 from sep 04, I can't fault it in any way. Service cost at 20k was €350 at main dealer.

Oh, had the pleasure of hitting a focus side on. Needless to say, I wasn't to happy having to test the volvo to that extent, but at least I wasn't the one in a ditch!

Lol. got a 2.0DSE in aug. 04, and some airhead ran into the back of me at 10-15mph while i was stopped at lights 4 months later.
    She was 'looking for a rattle in her passenger door'(her words), and mangled her corsa, could'nt open her driver door properly.
    My back bumper and the substructure bit was replaced, but apart from that it was perfect, no other damage, so they're well built motors in that sense.
    Best of luck with yours EIN:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

nice car especially in se form, great dash, great looks,great handling, great seats, what more does anyone want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

I was in the market for a new car to replace my 307. I intended buying the S40 but the Diesel engine is really noisy in it compared to the 407. In the end I couldn't live with another car without a clutch footrest so struck the Volvo off the list. I had a footrest on my previous '02 Civic 3 door and while you may not miss it during the course of a test drive you will curse its absense on every journey over 30 minutes after buying!! After a lot of looking around I ordered a new Civic 1.8 petrol.

If it was me I'd look at the 407 or Mazda 6... The Mazda might be getting on in years but its a class car, my mother managed to kill a 95 Carina E and 00 Avensis but her current 03 Mazda 6 is still like a new car. Apart from its durability its a brilliant car to drive!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Andy_R wrote:
    I was in the market for a new car to replace my 307. I intended buying the S40 but the Diesel engine is really noisy in it compared to the 407.

That's odd. Aren't they identical engines? Ford/Peugeot developed TDCI/HDI units :confused:

Yes, the Volvo S40/Peug 407/Citroen C5 all share the same 1.6 110bhp and 2.0 136bhp PSA HDi diesel engines. The S40 is slightly heavier than the 407/C5 but performance and economy are almost identical. The difference is noise level may be down to the level of sound proofing made by the different manufactures.

The Mondeo Ghia uses the same 2.0 136bhp engine and is not that noisy especially when it is on the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    The S40 is slightly heavier than the 407/C5

The S40 is a lot lighter than 407 / C5 which is not surprising because it is a full size smaller

unkel wrote:
    The S40 is a lot lighter than 407 / C5 which is not surprising because it is a full size smaller

You are correct but there is not alot in it:

Volvo S40 2.0D SE : 1,930 KG
    Peug 407 2.0 HDi SV: 2,080 KG
    Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusiv: 2,006 KG

bazz26 wrote:
    You are correct but there is not alot in it:

Volvo S40 2.0D SE : 1,930 KG
    Peug 407 2.0 HDi SV: 2,080 KG
    Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusiv: 2,006 KG

Lol, where did you get those figures? If they were true, than all three are heavier than my 7-series ;)

Must be the maximum laden weight or sumfin...

From carzone:

http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=75979620051101&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (kg): 2,006, gross vehicle weight rating (lbs): 4,422, kerb weight (kg): 1,486, kerb weight (lbs): 3,276, gross trailer weight braked (kg): 1,600 and gross trailer weight braked (lbs): 3,527

Maybe I should have been looking at the kerb weight.

Weights can be measured differently, e.g. with or without driver and with or without (half) a tank of petrol. I always use the weight of an empty car for comparisons:

All new and all 2.0D base models:

407 - 1480kg
    C5 - 1461kg
    S40 - 1363kg

The weight of the S40 is about the same as that of a Ford Focus BTW - no coincidence there :)

well people have different opinions bout different things, cars, women etc
    they pay their money and make their choice...

mazda6, avensis, mondeo,, are very plentiful on the road, good cars , but as standard you cannot buy one fully loaded off the shelf (without a 3mth wait),, most are special order if you want leather etc etc..

a bog basic avensis looks the same as a high specd one.

the selling point of the s40 is that it comes with all these extras as standard.
    mind you its a bit more expensive than the above, (cash price) but worth it.
    and the 2.0D has a nice bit of power..

EIN wrote:
    the selling point of the s40 is that it comes with all these extras as standard

The selling point of the s40 is that it is a big car with all these extras for about the same price as other big cars without these extras while it really only is a small car

Those marketing dudes in Ford sure deserve their bonus schemes - fair play to them :D

:D well unkel so tell us what you drive?

:D:D neways sure ill see if i like the s40... maybe next year ill go for the S80 !!!!!!!!!!...:eek: :eek: :eek: :D:D

SURE TIS ONLY MONEY

END OF THREAD,................................................:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

In all fairness unkel, it looks a lot better than any focus, it has a volvo badge which is worth something, its interior is syled by someone like bang and oulfsen, it is a focus, but then again it isnt, and its not that much more than a focus either. should keep its money better also. id definately consider one if i was in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

lomb wrote:
    In all fairness unkel, it looks a lot better than any focus

I would prefer the Focus saloon tbh. The s40 is a very small car in comparison to the Avensis et al. It is a lot more expensive than a focus and will be worth more at resale, but I suspect the volvo will have higher depreciation (just as the Audi A4 does have in comparison to the Passat).

The one thing you find out fast when looking for a second hand car is that "spec" doesn't affect price, and that very few people are willing to pay a cent extra on a 3yo car for air con/alloys etc.... which is great if you want a high spec car on the cheap! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement